Algo's on Wall Street (video)

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Dr Durden
Dr Durden's picture
Hat Tips: 5371
Algo's on Wall Street (video)

Amazing, troubling, and scary what "trading" is today and where it will be in the future. The implications might make you think twice before plopping down a huge chunk of fiat to "invest" in a publicly-held company.

Edited by admin on 11/08/2014 - 06:04

Got GIABO?

"It's called the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." ~George Carlin

Captain Benny
Captain Benny's picture
Hat Tips: 487
Great video

Nice find!

I've got a nice background in software development and high performance computing and it seems some of the major HFTs are still recruiting quite heavily.  I'm sure its a great job since its right up my alley, but there is always that question about my satisfaction in it.  Call it morality if you'd like, because it'd be "immoral" to work at the HFT firms while they quote stuff, scalp, and in simple terms: steal from everyone else.  I'd rather be unemployed...

Silver Lining
Silver Lining's picture
Hat Tips: 63
*Shudder

It's increasingly clear that humanity will one day, once and forever, become an outmoded relic of the natural world.  We are already in competition with the algos, only they have enormous competitive and evolutionary advantages that we, in our present form, cannot counter.  The speed at which it is happening is astonishing.  The powers of distributed computing and neural networks already dwarf those of the solitary human brain.  When finally we animate these process, it is game over.  We'll have one choice--assimilate or be left behind.  To my organic mind, the future looks very scary.

Dr Durden
Dr Durden's picture
Hat Tips: 5371
Once I see an official report

Once I see an official report about them putting computers out in the middle of the ocean to beat the next guy to the bid by 1-2 microseconds, I'm officially moving in with a pack of wolves. 

Got GIABO?

"It's called the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." ~George Carlin

Aeonios
Aeonios's picture
Hat Tips: 53
Actually there was an article

Actually there was an article on ZeroHedge recently about the feds cracking down on algos and forcing them to reveal their sensitive code. So, hopefully, in the near future humans will once again be trading with humans on the 'markets'. We can dream, anyway.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Topic locked
Syndicate contentComments for "Algo's on Wall Street (video)"