Hurricane Irene: Turdville's Live Thread

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
Justin
Justin's picture
Hat Tips: 1869
Hurricane Irene: Turdville's Live Thread

Just posted this on the main blog, figured I'd get a thread going here for fellow Turdites in the impact area to post news, events, stats, pics and whatever else is relevant in order to share their experience AS IT HAPPENS with all the inland and unaffected Turdites. 

Those of you who may frequent or randomly visit the Outer Banks from the north may be familiar with the Chesapeake Expressway(168 bypass).  Just went for a walk around the lake behind my house, followed the trail around to where it runs parallel to 168, it's a parking lot right now in the northbound lanes, filled with tourists and residents fleeing the imminent crime scene.  Nice to see so many people with good heads on their shoulders and using common sense!

As of now I am in an area that is projected to have 85-90mph winds at the Virginia Beach Oceanfront and 65-70mph winds further inland here in Chesapeake, about 15-20 minutes from the oceanfront.  With the current anticipated strength as Irene now stands, evacuation isn't a worry for me right now as the actual landfall will be to our south in central North Carolina, right along the outer banks.  Should current projections change for the worse between now and tomorrow mid-day, my tail is going to be long gone.   If I stay, I plan on going out to take some "before" pictures tomorrow and then get some "after" shots on Sunday when Irene moves on.  Speaking of which, I need to figure out where I buried my DSLR and make sure I get some batteries charged. 

Good luck to all of you in the projected path whether you are riding it out or leaving your homes to seek out safer ground.  If you are leaving behind bullion, give me your address and I'll make sure no pesky looters steal your pm's, bitchez!!

(I will charge a small recovery and safe-keeping fee, payable in metal only.) wink

Edited by admin on 11/08/2014 - 06:04

Only root karate come from Miyagi. Just like bonsai choose own way grow because root strong, you choose own way do karate same reason. - Mr. Miyagi

Justin
Justin's picture
Empty shelves at a local Wal

Empty shelves at a local Wal Mart.  No idea what all was here before, but they were obviously high ticket hurricane items!

Only root karate come from Miyagi. Just like bonsai choose own way grow because root strong, you choose own way do karate same reason. - Mr. Miyagi

Pax Argentum
Pax Argentum's picture
Good luck sir. Living at

Good luck sir.
Living at 7,000' I don't worry about 'canes any more but had my share in my Texas days.

Stay dry,

Pax

Puck T. Smith
Puck T. Smith's picture
Hat Tips: 8604
Nothing yet to speak of in DC

They have postponed the dedication of the MLK monument "indefinitely."

I work for an ISP and at least a couple of our peers have sent out notifications that they are all stocked up on batteries, generators and on-call response people in place.  We are making what preparations we can, but we are fairly widely distributed around the city and mostly dependent on the facilities management people at several data centers.  We will have a strike team meeting Saturday afternoon to coordinate whatever response is required from us.

Personally, I'm stocked up on coffee, water and microwave Chinese food.  If I lose power I've got a few other places to bail to further inland as long as the roads are passable.  Other than a few downed trees and power outages I doubt DC will see worse than some terrifying local flash flooding.

I'll post any interesting pictures I get.

The way that can be shown is not the Way
The name that can be named is not the Name

Paladex
Paladex's picture
Hat Tips: 2871
Blowing through SC

This is what the storm looked like, rolling into South Carolina.

I wish I'd remembered to tie my trash can up before the wind blew it open, and halfway across my yard. If the storm hasn't hit you yet (and you expect it to), you might want to consider securing your garbage.

“Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason.”
― Mark Twain

Justin
Justin's picture
Good call on the trash can. 

Good call on the trash can.  Today was trash day for me and out of habit I rolled it back to the side of the house where I normally keep it.  Just washed it out and stuck it in the garage for safekeeping after seeing your post.  

Didn't get a chance to go out and take "before" pics today, but I did find a few minutes to play in Photoshop:

Luckily Irene appears to be working her way down to a Cat 1 by the time she rolls over us here in Tidewater, VA.  

I have a medical complex and Chesapeake General Hospital on the same power grid as me so hopefully if we do lose power I won't have to go too long without AC and my internet.  I don't mind sweating for a day or two, but the lack of online access will drive me nuts!! 

PS- Puck T., you earned some cool points on the Chinese food comment, I love me some Chinese food!!! It looks like the biggest worry you and I will have is the amount of rain being spewed from this system and Cat 1 winds.  An earthquake this week, followed up with Irene... we should be good on natural disasters for a while after this. On top of those I've been having to deal with smoke from a fire that's been burning for a couple of weeks at the Great Dismal Swamp about 10 miles away.  Hopefully Irene finishes the job our worn out firefighters started, those boys could use a break and I could use some fresh air!

Strongsidejedi
Strongsidejedi's picture
Hat Tips: 11801
NOAA Weather Radar page for Morehead City

http://radar.weather.gov/ridge/radar.php?product=NCR&rid=mhx&loop=yes

This weather radar URL permits you to view the current NWS radar data against a geographical map of the target zone.

The eye appears to be moving north.

I am on the West Coast of the USA and watching CNN coverage which is repeating on a loop and NOT broadcasting live.

I noticed in the past that the major news channels would replay earlier coverage and NOT provide updated information on the eye's location.  This was very irritating if you have family in a potential target zone and are attempting to make plans to respond to nature's fury.

Anyways, if you go to the NOAA pages and National Hurricane Center, you get actual data.

I took a snip from the NHC's tropical wind prediction map below.

The question appears to be open on how much the hurricane will weaken when over Eastern NC state.

With arms this wide, the storm's central strength should dissipate slightly after land fall.  However, the size of the storm and the momentum of the storm is significant.  If the storm moves over NC quickly, then the eye may maintain some degree of organization and restrengthen along the coastline.

This storm could be a substantial one and will clearly affect the lives of any in the affected zones.

For this reason I am posting this map in order to permit board participants to assure that loved ones are out of the zones.

Strongsidejedi
Strongsidejedi's picture
Hat Tips: 11801
NOAA NHC Map of Hurricane winds

Map of hurricane winds predicted as of evening of 8.26.2011

Justin
Justin's picture
So far so good in my neck of

So far so good in my neck of the woods.  The eye looks to pass over within the next few hours and so far locally its only been heavy rain with moderate wind, gusts between 55-65mph. Power is still on(knocks on wood), but over 300,000 in the area are without flowing electrons. Local news crews broadcasting from the VA oceanfront have been showing random thrill seekers venturing out into the ocean.  Norfolk and Portsmouth appear to be getting the worst of the flooding, as per the norm with any decent rain bearing storm that rolls through due to their low elevation and proximity to large bodies of H2O. 

¤
¤'s picture
Hat Tips: 92321
Up-to-date interactive hurricane map

courtesy of Zerohedge.com

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/east/eaus/flash-rb.html

An epic lack of foresight, accuracy and humility over 3 1/2 years ago. Once a pumper, always a pumper!
http://www.tfmetalsreport.com/comment/170246#comment-170246

Justin
Justin's picture
Come to our town to broadcast

Come to our town to broadcast the potential destruction while talking smack about us for being out in the same storm you're out  in, we're gonna have some fun with you.

*brief nudity*

Puck T. Smith
Puck T. Smith's picture
So far just a lot of rain in DC

Accokeek, Maryland, actually, but close enough.  I'm more worried about Pepco loosing power than anything else.  They are notorious for taking forever to restore service.

Puck T. Smith
Puck T. Smith's picture
Surprise...

I was sitting in the room right below where you see the torn gutter.

Close call.

tree

MikeScouter
MikeScouter's picture
Hat Tips: 192
So far, so good

As I type, 42% of Connecticut is without power. I still have mine. Not much to report, just a few small branches down in the yard. I am still north of the eye of the storm and it will pass over in another hour. It has been just a large rain storm with some strong wind. It will be all over shortly.

Mike

MikeScouter
MikeScouter's picture
Storm Damage

The storm has now past. Even though the storm was down graded to a tropical storm, Connecticut had a direct hit. More than half of the state is without power. I was lucky and still have mine. We received 10-12 inches of rain in a short period of time. There is a lot of flooding in the surrounding communities. I live on a hill so I had no problem with flooding.

Does this guy really think that a few blocks will hold his truck down in the storm.

Mike

Justin
Justin's picture
Glad to hear everyone held up

Glad to hear everyone held up well during the storm, especially you Puck, that was close!

I about died when I saw that pic from Mike of the truck tide down with cinder blocks, too funny! I hope that was someone just messing around and not an example of how they actually operate on a daily basis. 

Big L
Big L's picture
Hat Tips: 2930
Storm Damage/Pickup Truck

Here's a good idea. Forget the cement blocks. Duct tape the bed of the truck closed and fill the back end with water.

The extra weight should hold the truck down, just fine.

We do this all the time in Florida.

Honest.

MikeScouter
MikeScouter's picture
Pickup Truck

I have no idea if that guy with the truck was serious or the photo was a joke. The photo was posted online at one of the local news stations. The storm gave me no problems. I did not realize how bad it hit the state until I started looking at the local news and found this photo. To funny, I just had to post it.

Mike

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Topic locked
Syndicate contentComments for "Hurricane Irene: Turdville's Live Thread"