Flying internationally with gold

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Mac Inger
Mac Inger's picture
Hat Tips: 1
Flying internationally with gold

Has anyone done it recently ? I know the topic has been discussed ad nauseam in other forums and i have read as much as i can... But wanted to put it up here for the fellow turdites to comment.

Im trying to fly about 30k worth of gold back to europe with me. I know that anything that has face value should be counted as such. 

Now, so i have it clear, is that 10k limit based on face value or spot value... ? What is the final word,..is gold and silver a "monetary instrument" ?

Copied from Customs website:  The requirement to import currency on a FinCEN 105 does not apply to imports of gold bullion.....What about exporting ?

Second,..if i report it as having more then 10k with me....what does that actually mean ?

Edited by admin on 11/08/2014 - 06:31
Missiondweller
Missiondweller's picture
Hat Tips: 2058
I'd like to know too

If Eagles are confiscated I'm taking my Philharmonics to Europe

bern
bern's picture
Hat Tips: 1221
,..is gold and silver a

,..is gold and silver a "monetary instrument" ?

Not according to Ben Bernanke.  Tradition!

On a more serious note, there is this:

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/332/~/currency-%2F-monetary-instruments---definition-of-%22negotiable-monetary

Looks like Krugerrands are no problem (bullion coin), but Gold Eagles might be (nominal legal tender face value).  I'm not a lawyer.  YMMV.

Liberty Library ~ PM Bug

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Topic locked
Syndicate contentComments for "Flying internationally with gold"