Coin Store in NYC??

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
left right wrong
left right wrong's picture
Hat Tips: 175
Coin Store in NYC??

Can anybody recommend me a store in New York City where I can buy/sell silver/gold coins/bullion?

Just moved here, any help would be much appreciated.

Edited by admin on 11/08/2014 - 06:13
toxic8
toxic8's picture
Hat Tips: 111
hey bud I'm looking for a

hey bud I'm looking for a place too. I went to a local spot here in BK which had good reviews online, and the guy seemed OK but a little sheisty.

When it came down to price he asked me "What do you expect to get" and "What are you looking to get" .... I didn't like that ... I said spot minus a percent or two of course. After some fast talking ("I'm just making $20 profit, wanna keep you as a customer, bla bla bla) he ended up giving me $35 a piece for 5 .999 silver koalas (was about 39 spot at the time)

I took it because sadly, I needed to pay some bills and didn't want to argue too long. I guess it was a decent price but I'm pretty sure you're supposed to get much closer to spot, especially considering silver is going up in value while the dollar is going down, they dont pay any markups obviously like you did when buying from a coin dealer, no shipping etc.

Good luck.

http://brooklyn.citysearch.com/profile/603814142/brooklyn_ny/global_gold_and_silver.html

Green Lantern
Green Lantern's picture
Hat Tips: 34227
There are a couple that I

There are a couple that I like.  PM me I can provide you with their names and locations plus's and minus's.   And you can share what you've found useful so far. 

Green Lantern
Green Lantern's picture
Basically, I took a week and

Basically, I took a week and I called every coin store in all 5 boroughs and asked prices.  I also took the time to research all the coin stores in Long Island, and Westchester.  made calls, asked questions and visited many of them.    That's alot of time and sweat to find who I like best, who was easy to buy from and who offered the best prices if I wanted to sell.  Yup, a little bit of a pain in the ass.    The ones I liked, I made an effort to establish a relationship with.   You figure that you are doing this to protect yourself from future crisis so this is a VERY IMPORTANT RELATIONSHIP.   You want people to know you so they trust you when you sell and will give you a good price when you buy.  

I am happy to share my experiences as this is what this forum is for.  However, I was taught that when somebody takes the time to give you advice, you say thank you.   Thank you goes a long way.  Well with all the requests I have gotten and time spent writing up replies, I've not received one thank you or somebody sharing their experience.   So as a result, if you find your way into this forum looking for easy information, refer to the first paragraph.   Sometimes taking the time to do your own research has benefits.    This forum is about sharing and teaching.    But I don't want to deny anybody the journey.  

copodon
copodon's picture
Hat Tips: 56
Well i guess I was the straw

Well i guess I was the straw that broke the camels back since i just pm'd you. 

I am sorry that your prior efforts went without appreciation being shown. 

I do thank you for some insights you shared in that post, that is the best place for me to start. 

Dave

Green Lantern
Green Lantern's picture
Dave, You were actually one

Dave,

You were actually one of the people who said thank you.  I received  numerous requests the last few days.   I think that it's best that individuals share in the forum.  

This is supposed to be a place that we share, and exchange information.  We are really a small percentage of the population, I'd like to think that we come here to share as much as we come here to gain information.   Maybe that's a little naive of me in today's world.  But the emails were basically of the tone, tell me what you know, I gotta get my stuff.   I mean what kind of freakin' human being asks a total stranger for advice and doesn't have the courtesy to say thank you.    Maybe I'm old fashioned but that's not the kind of people I wanna be around.  

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Topic locked
Syndicate contentComments for "Coin Store in NYC??"