Investment Newsletter Recommendations

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
thegeesbender
thegeesbender's picture
Hat Tips: 436
Investment Newsletter Recommendations

Can anyone recommend a investment letter where I can get individual gold and silver stock recommendations that has a good track record.  One that would cover majors, mids, and juniors.  I just don't have time to research all of these companies or the knowledge to pick the eventual winners.  I have subscribed to Bob Chapman(what do y'all think of him?)  I prefer to buy and hold for the long term.

Edited by admin on 11/08/2014 - 06:20
thegeesbender
thegeesbender's picture
Surely someone has a

Surely someone has a recommendation!

dirk
dirk's picture
Hat Tips: 579
Maybe

Maybe http://www.speculative-investor.com is something for your liking.

His newsletters breathe integrity. Integrity is good. I like it. 

Where does it end? When we value a grain of gold like a grain of sand...

kjm
kjm's picture
Hat Tips: 879
Geesbender, you're actually

Geesbender, you're actually better off ignoring most newsletter recommends because you don't know if they're talking up their book or being compensated for their views. Most of them aren't geologists . You're much better off spending time on different websites and it doesn't take long to discern who the quality posters are and the talk is free like here on Turd's forums.  Another good site with lots of pm talk is

http://www.mexicomike.ca/php/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=2&sid=5a424fe2a1e4844a8c637f543525e516

If you still want to pay for advice, google Brent Cook and Coffin Bros. Two of the best imo.

thegeesbender
thegeesbender's picture
Thanks Guys....The Coffin

Thanks Guys....The Coffin bros. looks to be most economical....is Brent Cook worth that much more than them?  Anyone else have suggestions?

crackor
crackor's picture
Hat Tips: 530
What I have/am trying

First of all I completely agree with KJM however it is nice to get leads where you can then do your DD.

Currently my favorite is James West. Weekly letters and some great companies that he regularly visits for assessments. He is not a pumper IMHO. At the moment he is 100% physical because of the current conditions and since he is a long investor seems valid to me. In June he notified his subscribers that he was dumping everything to go physical and that call increased his portfolio nicely. www. midasletter. com

On another front I just completed a subscription with Warren Bevan. This guy sure knows how to make and lose money and you see it quite clearly. A good technical guy and he teaches along the way. He is diversified. Long his favorite miners and underwater at this time however there are those that believe this will change in the fall as you are probably aware. Has some great dividend stocks where one in particular is paying 19%. Options is his game and if you play them with him you could do quite well as I have witnessed. Two weeks ago I saw $40,000 grow to $120,000 and last week he had another good run. His portfolio is 70% physical as the last part of his diversification. www.preciousmetalreview.com

I just took out a subscription with Smartmoneytracker. The reason is because I have been following John Townsend whom has his own free blog but is a partner with Gary at SMT. These guys are very good techicians. John at www.thetsitrader.blogspot.com is worth visiting. Professionally he is a teacher and therefore does a great job of educating his followers in his preferred technical methods.

Hope this helps

Big Rocks
Big Rocks's picture
Hat Tips: 511
newsletter?

check out the metal augmentor

http://www.metalaugmentor.com/

I've been a subscriber for well over a year and it is an excellent service.  they offer both free and paid material.  you will be hard pressed to find another service that analyzes mining companies as well or as objectively.  You have to be careful out there as a lot of these guys either  get paid ads from miners or participate in the pump and dump at their readers expense

you can also try IKN

http://incakolanews.blogspot.com/

BTW he hates james west and casey research and says they are FOS and backs it up. he exposes other scammers and helps people avoid the charlatans-his stock picks are pretty good too-all Latin America based though.

good luck to you

thegeesbender
thegeesbender's picture
Thanks for the info guys. 

Thanks for the info guys.  Anybody have an opinion on the Dines Letter?

Jasper Puddlemaker
Jasper Puddlemaker's picture
Hat Tips: 1879
Newsletters I have experience with...

I have subscribed to quite a few over the years in order to test them out.  Some I have continued with.  Cost is not an issue to me since a good newsletter will pay for itself.  I don't think you can expect one newsletter to cover it all (majors, mids, juniors, microcaps, explorers) since most everyone has a specialty.

Ones I currently subscribe to (long term):

Casey's International Speculator (includes Big Gold):  The Casey team has good connections in the industry.

Hard Rock Analyst:  David and Eric Coffin know their stuff (explorers and microcaps).

Ormetal Report:   Focus on juniors and some explorers.   They might only offer lifetime subscriptions now (which I have). 

Others I like but don't subscribe to:

John Doody's Gold Stock Analyst:  Good track record.  (Haven't subscribed since he went to his new tiered pricing system.)

Brent Cook's Exploration Insights:  Focus on explorers (high risk - high reward).  I don't subscribe since some other methods I use include Brent's research and opinions.

Lawrence Roulston's Resource Opportunities:   Haven't subscribed for a couple of years since my other letters cover the same ground (juniors and explorers). 

Have tried a few others but will not name them since I would not subscribe again.    There are a lot of promoters out there who do not have the background it takes to provide solid recommendations.   

Jasper Puddlemaker
Jasper Puddlemaker's picture
Hat Tips: 1879
Should also have mentioned...

Different investment styles require different newsletters.  One size does not fit all.   For example, not everyone likes Casey.    I benefit from their services because it fits my style and needs.  I like their connections in the industry.  Another example:  Dines.  Jim, er, sorry, "Mr. Dines" is good at spotting trends in advance, and in understanding human psychology and applying it to investing and speculating.  Dines and Casey; two different approaches but both successful.

A common mistake on the speculation side is to subscribe to a newsletter, but only buy a limited number of recommended companies.  That approach usually results in poor performance or loss.  Even among the best newsletters (those that focus on juniors/micros),  out of 10 companies, 2-3 will be losers, 5 will average what the market  does, and 2-3 will be huge winners.    Nobody wins every time. 

alman
alman's picture
Hat Tips: 128
I would also recommend Chris

I would also recommend Chris Weber's Global Opportunity Report.

GoldMania3000
GoldMania3000's picture
Hat Tips: 5332
another reco...

ive subscribed to many of these over the  years. and still have some of them.  But honestly the best thing you could do is work with a broker that is entranced with the resource sector.  i.e. Global resources/Sprott.  These folks have had great success and have the geologist that go to the various sites.   They are great for juniors/mid-tier and provide you with insights that the newsletter writers don't always have.  Although many mentioned here are very very good.   I only can speak for myself, but I've had tremendous success with them/Global.  A couple of take outs, 1000's percent gains...have i had some dingers..you bet's ya.   But considering the winners outweigh the losers.  And they get you into private placements.

And know they are getting me into the majors..they have their thoughts and opinions on them too, but also, again have some of those mid-teir ones that no one talks about.

I ask them a lot of questions, and challenge them too since Im putting a lot of my money on the table with them.  And sometimes I pass on their recos based on my personal investment strategy.  

I try to take responsiblity for my invenstment as I too don't have a lot of time, but the more ive focused over the years on spening more time the more money I've made.

GoldMania3000
GoldMania3000's picture
Hat Tips: 5332
Brent cook

one more thought. I subscribe to him..i don't always understand the geology talk but I sometimes email him for clarification and he responses.  I may not always agree with him on selling vs. holding but I tell you that his assesment on properites is intrigquing. is it worth it?  for me it is as it gives me data points to help me assess my strategy. 

Green Lantern
Green Lantern's picture
Hat Tips: 34227
I highly recommend Trader

I highly recommend Trader Rog. aka Roger Weigand http://www.tradertracks.com/

You can also hear him life every couple of days on the Al Korelin Report, and does interviews with Kitco on youtube. A good one to subscribe to.   And you can go to kitco and read all his past predictions. 

http://www.kereport.com/2011/09/02/3587/

Here is why I like him better then many of the other mentions, I currently have all of Doug Casey's reports, James Dines, have subscribed to Brent Cook and a few others. 

He is a trader like Turd but gives you regular email alerts.   His newsletter gives you an overall economic trend and forecast and some commentary on events.    He not only gives you his mine picks, and his track record his excellent, but he gives you entrance points into the markets, sell or stop loss alerts.  For example,  he is telling us why gold and silver will likely go up next week, just as Turd, when to jump in and which miners to buy.  And how different people with different amounts to invest should play.  Somebody with 7  figures is obviously going to play different than somebody with 4 figures.    He teaches you the basic principles of being a trader but gives you the trades not just the predictions.    I don't read charts, and I don't know how to figure out when to buy and sell my silver and gold call options.    

Not only does he tell you when he thinks the market will retract or a black swan event is upon us but he has already given us a date in the next couple months when he thinks we will see a Black Swan event.  And he called the May Silver smack down.   There have times I have read Casey's picks in the past and 3/4 of them were too expensive to get into or were on hold.   Definitely not as witty as Casey but I don't want wit, I want the trades and the alerts.  

Here is the  best part for me, he gives you his option buys, (mostly bull spread calls which are much safer than calls) in gold, silver, oil and food commodities such as soybeans, corn, wheat etc... And tells you when to take profit.  So you're not guessing, should I take it off the table now.  

He also gives you recommended resources such as an options broker who is familiar with his trades as well as a mining broker if you don't have one already.   It's one of his pet peaves is people trying to make a million bucks but they are too cheap to pay commission to a broker to make the trades and has given examples of very wealthy people who are excellent traders and how they use multiple brokers and how the do it yourself's eventually make a mistake that wouldn't happen if you had a broker.    Yes, you can do it yourself and do fine but trying to sell online right before a black swan event, you can loose it because of the lack of liquidity in the mines.  I use global resources and doing so eliminates the need to subscribe to Brent Cook who was a former broker at Global.    Although sometimes, they have different data points so it's useful. 

If you don't like Roger's newsletter he will give you a pro-rated refund. 

Green Lantern
Green Lantern's picture
Hat Tips: 34227
I should add that his

I should add that his newsletter doesn't have the depth of discussions on trends such as Dines.   Rogers theme is focus and he uses George Soro's as an example who focused on one investment for three months.  It's difficult to be an expert at everything and be a speculator, trader and investor and hold 20-30 different equities.   So you won't find much about uranium or similar like Dines. 

You could make an arguement that having several different data points is very useful.  But sometimes too many cooks in the kitchen can be detrimental.   Not that any of them are wrong it's just that they have different investment approaches and my experience focus is important. 

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Topic locked
Syndicate contentComments for "Investment Newsletter Recommendations"