1oz Kook wont ring

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
lilbromarky1
lilbromarky1's picture
Hat Tips: 2464
1oz Kook wont ring

Hello,

Anyone else out there in Turdland have a 1 oz kookaburra that wont ring?  I mean dead thud.  Zippo, nada, nothing.  Weighs perfect, and I do believe its silver by the look and feel.  Showed it to the local coin shop and he said it was legit but he was also confused by the dead thud.   I dont remember the year I'm sorry.  Anyone else seen this before?

Edited by admin on 11/08/2014 - 06:09

Like my ideas? Check our blog at: http://backtobasicseconomics.blogspot.com/

Sterling
Sterling's picture
Hat Tips: 2826
What year?

and where did you get it?  I have a quite a few over different years and I'll check mine when I get home.

Can I offer you a drink? How about this expensive prostitute?

lilbromarky1
lilbromarky1's picture
Got it in Philly second

Got it in Philly second hand.  Actually 3rd hand.  This one was nice and frosty looking and its also been tested with ammonia by the guy I bought it from.  I guess that's some type of litmus test for Ag.  Let me know what you find okay mate?

Sterling
Sterling's picture
Will do

Did you check it with a magnet too?  That's another good test

pink freud
pink freud's picture
Hat Tips: 1606
 What year is it?  Ill check

What year is it?  Ill check mine when I get home.  I collect Kooks, and have every year.

Sterling
Sterling's picture
What is your favorite year? 

What is your favorite year?  Mine is the 2011 - it's an awesome design!

tmosley
tmosley's picture
Hat Tips: 14948
I suggest you measure its

I suggest you measure its volume as well, if you are able.  any one oz coin should have the same density.

But density can be faked.  That thud is a dead giveaway.  Suggest you take it to a dealer and get them to verify it.

plunder
plunder's picture
Hat Tips: 319
Is it different from your

Is it different from your other kooks or is it your only one? Maybe try slightly different test setups to hear it ring, I think that small details in the physical characteristics of the piece can play a large part in getting it to ring.

I say this because I usually flip my silver like flipping a coin and it will ring like mad in the air, even 10oz bars - then I bought some maples and they wouldn't make the right sound. I bought them new in a tube from APMEX so it was a real head scratcher, since all of them were "dead."

Then I set one up on three upside down push pins and tapped it with another... RRRIIING!! A no-doubter.

So try playing it a couple of different ways in case that's the same thing happening with your kookaburra.

Sterling
Sterling's picture
Mine ring

Mine ring

pink freud
pink freud's picture
Hat Tips: 1606
2011 is good

but

after further review

my favorite is the 1991 and the extra detail, the clincher was the 5 dollar face but the spider web on the 2008 was nice and the 2009 was cool too

however i did not take any out of their capsules to see if they ring or not.  The 1990 kinda just thuds in its mint packaging. 

lilbromarky1
lilbromarky1's picture
It really doesnt ring. Trust

It really doesnt ring. Trust me when I say there are no frequencies harmonizing out of this thing.

On the other hand it weighs, looks, feels proper.  I'm going to say its real and that something went wrong during manufacturing.  Maybe it was formed at a point when the metal was a little too cool and all the atoms arent lined up the way the want to be.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Topic locked
Syndicate contentComments for "1oz Kook wont ring"