Seeds/Ability to grow in the future...

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
LaMachinna
LaMachinna's picture
Hat Tips: 2263
Seeds/Ability to grow in the future...

Hello, all.  Have had the following question nagging at me for awhile and thought I'd throw it out for consideration and your feedback. 

I am considering buying seeds.  However, what I'm struggling with is:

*Given a SHTF situation, I'm guessing I will only be able to plant outside.  Is that a right assumption?

*If so, how would I be able to protect my garden from looters?  I am so thankful to live in a regular neighborhood.  Many other neighbors have small gardens as well.  How could we protect our gardens from not being looted overnight or even right in the middle of day by gangs, etc?  We have means to protect ourselves, however, what is hindering me from moving forward is how could we possibly protect our crops from gangs and stuff. 

I really appreciate hearing your thoughts and plans on what you are doing.  Much thanks.

LaMachinna

Edited by admin on 11/08/2014 - 06:06
Ben Martin
Ben Martin's picture
Hat Tips: 36
Keeping your food safe

I will throw out a couple ideas.

For one thing you can pot plants and grow some inside your house. I realize this is not practical for large amounts but it can help keep some safe.

Dogs make great alarms and will make many people think twice about coming in your yard.

Motion lights hooked up to some sort of alarm in your bedroom.

If you have many neighbors all working together you can rotate night watch / patrol.

Most importantly don't not grow food because someone might steal it. Your harvest is only ripe for a certain period of time and once its picked you should have it inside your home.

Hope this helps.

Bobbi
Bobbi's picture
Hat Tips: 712
Keeping you and yours safe

We are in the process of buying 2 small parcels of land (1 acre or less each).  The larger parcel located somewhere here in southwestern Virginia and a smaller (bugout) parcel located in either Kentucky or Tennessee, just a day's walk away.  On the homestead parcel, we will have the garden, and it will be a glorious garden full of bounty.  We will harvest said bounty and preserve it for storage at the smaller parcel where a complete root cellar/storm shelter will be built around a small vacation/hunting cabin.

Point is this:  If trouble comes our way, we evacuate to the smaller parcel and the intruders can help themselves to whatever is in the garden/homesite.  Sometimes, the best answer is to just get out of the way.  And, they might just be crazy hungry and tired and if I can help them in some remote way no thanks needed kinda thing, then it makes me feel good too.

JRigs
JRigs's picture
Hat Tips: 15
On the topic of seeds, I've

On the topic of seeds, I've heard (and practice) that keeping seeds intended for say 2010 in the fridge to be planted in 2011 will greatly increase their longevity. So far it's worked (meaning that seed viability is good the next season) but I can't say if it was necessary or how much it helped. I'm certain it depends on the crop. I've had good success germinating various beans that were left in my garage two seasons later (~90% germination rate, which is usually more than sufficient).

Regarding security, history has proven the efficacy of the canine beyond any question, from protecting people to livestock and even crops. Plus, a good working dog is useful for so many things besides security. Ask any rancher or hunter. Man's best friend indeed.

Ben has already mentioned the main things, especially the harvest season bit. The only thing I would add is good fences. If you have the resources, you could fence your property in way that is inconspicuous yet a total pain in the ass to get into. Hedgerows (maybe reinforced with barbed wire fence) for instance might be a good option for your neck of the woods, although you would need some time to get those established properly. You could even electrify a strand of the barbed wire fairly easily (at least for the first few years, maybe longer), although that may be overkill. Between that and a good dog or two, you would have a lot of risk handled.

Also, props to you for your charitable character. It's refreshing. Too often I read on blogs posts by people (not so much here) that sound excited for the opportunity to pump lead into the desperate. And this from the same folks who claim to be so enlightened. What an irony. If things really get that bad, I hope I encounter more folks like you.

97guns
97guns's picture
Hat Tips: 469
many seeds if kept past a

many seeds if kept past a season or two will not grow or will get infested with bugs. for best results you really have to farm the veg and keep the seed stock going year after year. i have a bean and green onion seed that came from hawaii over 40 years ago, i also  have tomato, cucumber, butter nut squash, zuchinni and other summer squash seeds that i keep year after year.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Topic locked
Syndicate contentComments for "Seeds/Ability to grow in the future..."