People who recommend stocking up on ammo - what are you planning for?

34 posts / 0 new
Last post
lilbromarky1
lilbromarky1's picture
Hat Tips: 2464
People who recommend stocking up on ammo - what are you planning for?

I hear food, water, ammo constantly from preppers.  Food, water yes, bullets, enough to kill some food with makes sense, but stock piling ammunition?  Do you think this is going to turn into a video game where you sit on your porch as a never ending onslaught of zombies tries to take control of your front porch?

Seriously guys, when you start talking about having a mega ammo cache you're worse than Rumsfeld in the burbs with the walkie talky up on his roof.  (

)

I grew up hunting, I take great joy in shooting, especially at long ranges.  That being said, if things were to get bad enough where I have to on a regular basis, threaten to take, or actually take human lives with a gun, I'll only need 1 bullet at that point and that will be to extinguish myself because I'd rather not be around to see it.

So yea, I think someone with 20 different guns and ammo cache is fucking nuts, but hey that's just me.

Edited by admin on 11/08/2014 - 06:06

Like my ideas? Check our blog at: http://backtobasicseconomics.blogspot.com/

SilverFocker
SilverFocker's picture
Hat Tips: 2577
LMAO

Good luck with that 1 bullet ( Fucking Nut'syes)

Captain Benny
Captain Benny's picture
Hat Tips: 487
An explanation through generalizations

Many of us prefer only a few weapons.  Most people start with a shotgun and then get either a rifle or handgun.  Many people stop buying after three guns: shotgun, hangun, and rifle.

People that make the mistake of buying plinking "toys" such as .22LR rifles or handguns usually will "upgrade" to a better self defense weapon when they feel a need to be prepared for protection rather than shooting squirrels or rabbits for food.

The reason people stockpile is simple: ammunition prices _never_ go down and a weapon is no good unless you practice with it on a regular basis.  So its two things: an investment (buy cheap now, so you don't have to pay monster prices later during an ammo shortage period) and ammo for practice.

If you've been around you'll already be well aware that there is a documented history of ammunition shortages in America.  If you think you can just stroll on in to a Wallmart when SHTF and buy some high quality self defense ammunition, you're gravely mistaken.

Sure there are some people that like​ guns a lot more than others and they like to collect them.  These fanatics will have safes full of more than enough weaponry to defend a small population.  If SHTF, contrary to some people's belief - most of these guys aren't stupid enough to give guns out to their neighbors in order to defend the neighborhood.  Guns in the hands of an untrained idiot makes them a dangerous untrained idiot and that is never a good idea.  These kind of guys vault their guns for personal enjoyment and/or defense of close friends and family if SHTF.

admin
admin's picture
Hat Tips: 2964
Deleted the multiple versions

Deleted the multiple versions of this thread and consolidated the comments.

Site Administrator for TF Metals Report

mrgneiss
mrgneiss's picture
Hat Tips: 3440
@lilbromarky1 - The last

@lilbromarky1 - The last couple hundred years of mankind have actually seen an unprecedented time of health, safety, security, and prosperity for a good portion of mankind; whereas for most of our history only a tiny fraction of a small minority enjoyed these kinds of benefits, and for a vast majority the two overriding daily themes would have been food collection/preparation and fighting for survival.

So fighting for survival is an intrinsic part of our makeup, albeit one that most these days would prefer to keep dormant and not be forced to exercise.

There are many reasons to build up an ammo cache, a good one being the if the SHTF, ammo will become a highly prized item to trade, of course not to mention protection of yourself, your loved ones, and your cache.

Many would say if you would give up your life so easily it must not have been worth fighting for.  You must not have kids or you would never have that attitude.  If you did, you would do whatever it took to keep them safe and fed.

Link to our updated penny stock list: https://www.kitcomm.com/showthread.php?t=68585
"The conscious and intelligent manipulation of the organized habits and opinions of the [public] is an important element in democratic society." Those who control this have the real power.

Jasper Puddlemaker
Jasper Puddlemaker's picture
Hat Tips: 1879
Barter? I don't think so...

On another site I frequent, a lot of TEOTWAWKI guys believe they will be heading for the woods, and when they are up there they expect to be using ammo as the "new currency" (their words).  I have no idea why you would want to give up your ammo to someone else in that situation, or why you would trade for ammo of  questionable quality, but that is what they think.  Since I would be staying home anyway, I guess I will not be finding out if their plan was a good one or not.

As others have already said, the best reasons to stock up if you have the means are 1) Prices will never be lower, and 2) supply shortages most definitely occur during panics.   That 'Obama' shortage we experienced was certainly a PITA wake-up call.  For those who enjoy shooting as a sport or hobby having a supply makes sense for those reasons for sure.

I just can't get with the "ammo for barter" idea though.  (Oh, and as much as I would enjoy a nice zombie outbreak for a day or two, it just ain't goinna happen either.  crying)

lilbromarky1
lilbromarky1's picture
mrgneiss wrote:There are many

mrgneiss wrote:
There are many reasons to build up an ammo cache, a good one being the if the SHTF, ammo will become a highly prized item to trade, of course not to mention protection of yourself, your loved ones, and your cache.

Many would say if you would give up your life so easily it must not have been worth fighting for.  You must not have kids or you would never have that attitude.  If you did, you would do whatever it took to keep them safe and fed.

I'm a little frustrated because I typed you a really nice reply where I agreed and disagreed, but when I posted it the site said I was no longer logged in.  So now I'm retyping it because it was important.

I agree with having a gun in the house in case some stuff goes down.  You were correct, I have no kids, but I have a wife and I would give my own life for hers, so I understand the instinctive drive that comes with having a family, although its probably even more intense with a child.  I'm very protective of my dog even :)

My counterargument to yours would be that, if a man is a father for example, and his child sees him in the basement polishing up his AR every night, and rehearsing getting dressed in fully body armor, that sends a signal to the children that the father is afraid, and thus the children will be afraid.  So having a mega ammo/gun storage and making anti-government comments at the dinner table might send the wrong signal.  I personally dont want to live in fear and I certainly would not want my children to live that way either.   

I'm not bashing collectors of guns.  I understand the appeal.  I just think the statement "store food, water, ammo" is a bit dangerous and I see it repeated an awful lot, especially from people on youtube who appear to be living in rural areas.

NOMAX
NOMAX's picture
Hat Tips: 121
Barter for Ammo

Before doing any running around in the hills and trading ammo it's probably more sensible and more comfy to start with a shotgun in the closet at home and hold your own ammo.  

mrgneiss
mrgneiss's picture
lilbromarky1 - I agree that

lilbromarky1 - I agree that the extreme gun nut anti-government fanatic is not a pretty sight either.  My philosophy for many things for a long time in my life has always been - Hope for the best but prepare for the worst.  I think you can find balance by being prepared firearm and ammo wise, being aware of what the government is doing and if they are abusing their powers - and at the same time enjoying life as much as possible getting the most out of it and your relationships.

Link to our updated penny stock list: https://www.kitcomm.com/showthread.php?t=68585
"The conscious and intelligent manipulation of the organized habits and opinions of the [public] is an important element in democratic society." Those who control this have the real power.

lilbromarky1
lilbromarky1's picture
Jasper Puddlemaker wrote: On

Jasper Puddlemaker wrote:

On another site I frequent, a lot of TEOTWAWKI guys believe they will be heading for the woods, and when they are up there they expect to be using ammo as the "new currency" (their words).  I have no idea why you would want to give up your ammo to someone else in that situation, or why you would trade for ammo of  questionable quality, but that is what they think.  Since I would be staying home anyway, I guess I will not be finding out if their plan was a good one or not.

As others have already said, the best reasons to stock up if you have the means are 1) Prices will never be lower, and 2) supply shortages most definitely occur during panics.   That 'Obama' shortage we experienced was certainly a PITA wake-up call.  For those who enjoy shooting as a sport or hobby having a supply makes sense for those reasons for sure.

I just can't get with the "ammo for barter" idea though.  (Oh, and as much as I would enjoy a nice zombie outbreak for a day or two, it just ain't goinna happen either.  crying)

Sounds like a bunch of men acting like boys in your example scenario. They probably already use .223 for currency just to practice and get off on it.  I think people think the collapse is going to be exciting, but in my opinion its not.  Its not going to be an overnight ordeal, but a long drawn out escalator ride down into being poor.  I've been to places where people are poor.  Its just not as exciting as some preppers think it might be.  The whole idea of bugging out has burbs-rumsfield mentality written all over it.

If I ever had to leave my house, I wouldnt go to the woods, I'd go to another country.  First I'd try to go my wife's parents in europe, if that wasnt an option, I'd be in canada.  No way they can guard that entire border.

lilbromarky1
lilbromarky1's picture
mrgneiss wrote: lilbromarky1

mrgneiss wrote:

lilbromarky1 - I agree that the extreme gun nut anti-government fanatic is not a pretty sight either.  My philosophy for many things for a long time in my life has always been - Hope for the best but prepare for the worst.  I think you can find balance by being prepared firearm and ammo wise, being aware of what the government is doing and if they are abusing their powers - and at the same time enjoying life as much as possible getting the most out of it and your relationships.

Well said!

mrgneiss
mrgneiss's picture
Jasper Puddlemaker wrote: On

I doubt it will come to that, but if we do get a societal collapse situation, pretty much every survival expert is agreed that ammo will be one of the best or the best barter good.  It doesn't take that much in the way of skill or equipment to do your own reloads, the equipment is sold at Bass Pro Mills.  Who knows what you would trade if for?  Anything you need and don't have.

Jasper Puddlemaker
lilbromarky1 wrote: Sounds

lilbromarky1 wrote:

Sounds like a bunch of men acting like boys in your example scenario. They probably already use .223 for currency just to practice and get off on it...

I agree :).  Most seem to view the book "Patriots"  by JWR as both a guidebook and a prophecy.  (Plus I think it gives them an excuse to purchase a bunch of toys they couldn't justify buying otherwise.)   I'm in the minority when I suggest to them that the likelihood of things degenerating to that is extremely unlikely, and if it were to occur it certainly would not happen overnight.  History and odds favor more of an Argentina-style situation in my opinion.

I also agree with the "go to another country" comment.  That is our backup plan too.  Save wealth, and if needed start up somewhere else.  We have seen enough of the world to know there are always opportunities somewhere.

Jasper Puddlemaker
mrgneiss wrote: I doubt it

mrgneiss wrote:

I doubt it will come to that, but if we do get a societal collapse situation, pretty much every survival expert is agreed that ammo will be one of the best or the best barter good.

Yes, I have read that often too.  I just can't get with the idea of trading someone an item that could be used against me.

I suppose it all comes down to the situation that develops.  I am much more inclined to see the Argentina-style situation occurring, as opposed to Mad Max, so my focus is on that.  If a Mad Max develops, for whatever reason, then I am probably screwed (along with everyone else).

Biscuit
Biscuit's picture
Hat Tips: 294
Why do I have an ammo stockpile?

Lifetime supply.

If ammo isn't available (for any number of reasons), no problem.

If the price goes up, no problem.

I really enjoy going out to my little personal range (just a sturdy bench and targets/backstops out to 100 yards), and I like being able to do that without worrying about having to replace the ammo I'm shooting.

I'm still shooting some ammo that was manufactured in the 1970s.  Kept in military ammo cans in a climate controlled environment, it seems to keep forever.  I still fill gaps in my inventory occasionally, but as long as this old body will handle the recoil, I'll be shooting.

mrgneiss
mrgneiss's picture
Jasper Puddlemaker

mrgneiss wrote:

I doubt it will come to that, but if we do get a societal collapse situation, pretty much every survival expert is agreed that ammo will be one of the best or the best barter good.

Yes, I have read that often too.  I just can't get with the idea of trading someone an item that could be used against me.

I suppose it all comes down to the situation that develops.  I am much more inclined to see the Argentina-style situation occurring, as opposed to Mad Max, so my focus is on that.  If a Mad Max develops, for whatever reason, then I am probably screwed (along with everyone else).

I agree that an Argentinian style situation is much more likely, although the ramifications of a quick collapse of the world's reserve currency are tougher to predict than the collapse of the currency of a relatively minor economic power.  I'd like to hedge my bets and be ready for anything, as I said above for 99.99% of mankinds history the world has been nasty, and people still fought for life and took enjoyment where there could, and I have a child and would be willing to do almost anything to keep him alive and protect him from harm.

Homesteader
Homesteader's picture
Hat Tips: 166
lilbromarky1 wrote: That

lilbromarky1 wrote:

That being said, if things were to get bad enough where I have to on a regular basis, threaten to take, or actually take human lives with a gun, I'll only need 1 bullet at that point and that will be to extinguish myself because I'd rather not be around to see it.

Would you suggest I only 'need' a few.....for the wife and kids first ?

You do whatever the fvck you want, but I'm stacking wide and deep because anybody that screws with me or mine is gonna find out what a hornets nest they've stuck a stick in.

lilbromarky1
lilbromarky1's picture
Jasper Puddlemaker

mrgneiss wrote:

If you apply a bell-curve to all of the possible outcomes you get this. 

Leftside outlier = Mad Max

Center Portion = High Inflation, High Unemployment, Low Standard of Living

Rightside outlier = Some unforseen miracle

Poor Boy
Poor Boy's picture
Hat Tips: 70
Liberal Markie Sorry pal but

Liberal Markie

Sorry pal but you really don't have a clue on this topic.  Sounds more like talking points from the anti-gun crowd. 

Perhaps you were joking when you said,  'If I ever had to leave my house, I wouldnt go to the woods, I'd go to another country.  First I'd try to go my wife's parents in europe, if that wasnt an option, I'd be in canada.  No way they can guard that entire border.'   If you were serious, you might want to re-examine your logic.  If things developed to the point that you had to consider leaving, do you really believe that you'd be able to get out and go to Europe or sneak into Canada?  

Make sure you have your papers in order and be careful what you try to take with you.  You probably wouldn't want to get caught breaking any laws with contraband.   I wish you luck.

Tripel_Play
Tripel_Play's picture
Hat Tips: 127
The original post is very

The original post is very black-and-white.  Sorry bro, but not everyone who stores ammo is a crazy gun nut like in the book "Patriots".  Some of us are pretty normal, and we would prefer for things to continue the way they are now.  But we prepare, just in case things don't.

Having 1000+ rounds of ammo for your carry pistol is just plain prudent.  I'm going to shoot it eventually anyway, and the price is only going up.  I do the same with food.  I have several months' supply of the stuff that I'm going to eat anyway, stuff that is not going to get cheaper.

I won't be trading my ammo because I won't need to.  My preps are well rounded.  I have food, water, PMs, ammo, medical supplies, and all kinds of other stuff.  Neglecting ammo is as silly as neglecting water or medical supplies.

Jasper Puddlemaker
Original post...

Tripel_Play wrote:

I won't be trading my ammo because I won't need to.  My preps are well rounded.  I have food, water, PMs, ammo, medical supplies, and all kinds of other stuff.  Neglecting ammo is as silly as neglecting water or medical supplies.

+1.

I don't agree with the "ammo as currency" folks at all, but for those of us who enjoy shooting it is stupid to not stock up when one has the opportunity and means to do it.  Great shelf life, so it will never be wasted.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Topic locked
Syndicate contentComments for "People who recommend stocking up on ammo - what are you planning for?"