Confessions of the Sheep

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
thecoloredsky
thecoloredsky's picture
Hat Tips: 1331
Confessions of the Sheep

I'm at work today cranking out a report and a co-worker comes up to me. Fun Irish backgrounded guy, family man, drinker, likes to shoot the shit. I think he's a liberal sheep from the little I've heard. Starts off with the whole, "Wow the market down today" and hints on the problem exists with republican politicians (in a subtle way).

Before I continue, let's hear the stories of the sheep. Not to make fun of, but to identify what they are thinking about when problems arise.  I don't care if they are republicons or deceptocrats. Its always the same.

I almost told this guy exactly why the market went down, but I held back and let him talk. He started explaining when he was young he asked his great grandparents, "What was it like in the Great Depression?" Ha ha ha... ok not funny. He then proceeds to talk about the dollar devaluation, although he has no fucking idea that its devaluing, only contributing it to inflation; which is semi-correct. "When I was a kid I could buy a burger for 5 cents. Could you imagine binging on burgers now a days? How cool would it be to walk into a burger joint and just splurge on a bunch of burgers for a buck!" I said, "Yeah and the cool thing is, we wouldn't even have to bring coupons!"

He then proceeds to talk about taxi fares and how its horrible bar hoppers have to spend $20 to taxi all over a city. "Back in my day $20 was a night out on the town and if you're lucky you could get a late night meal!"

You know where this is going. Well, I didn't. He started to assert the idea of a inter-city railway that people can use when down town. The great effect it would be so bar hopping drunks can shuffle themselves around town for quarters. At this point, a few other co-workers heard him and agreed in short, that a public tram downtown would be a great idea.

While I could have asked him a million questions on why this should be implemented, I immediately went into the last of my 401k and pushed whatever shit stocks I had into money market. He went on to harass some other poor soul and I went on with my work.

Confessions of an office worker.

Edited by admin on 11/08/2014 - 06:27
Shill
Shill's picture
LOL great post. See it

LOL great post. See it everyday,  Now I just nod my head and snicker.

When the office trolls start talking economy first question I always ask is " Whats the price of gold " that always gets them sputtering. 98% of the time they do not know the actual price of an ounce of Gold.

Humorous and scary all at the same time, I tend too keep to myself more these days..

And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers.

Dr Durden
Dr Durden's picture
Hat Tips: 5371
This has the workings of an

This has the workings of an awesome thread. Great story, sky.

I've been on a buddy to move some his cash into gold to "save" it. He's on board and finally bought an ounce yesterday (killer price, too I might add). And now he's on his Dad who's the type of guy who will put ALL of his retirement savings into ONE stock. He actually did this at one point and got burnt (shocking, i know) and now is in.........wait for it.............a guaranteed 2% bond fund. 

So I go to stockcharts and whip a performance graph of gold vs the POSX since 2007. It shows gold up 165%, dollar down 15%. Then I email it to friend so his old man has a visual. His Dad takes one look at it and says "Yea, but you don't know if it will keep going up and I got my guaranteed 2%!" For. Fucking. Real!!!!!

The perfect analogy here is gardening. You got to get in there and disrupt and churn the soil first before you can seed and water these new ideas and eventually see the life and produce from them. But holy lord, just cracking the surface takes a jackhammer with so many people it never ceases to amaze me.

Got GIABO?

"It's called the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." ~George Carlin

Vic
Vic's picture
Hat Tips: 500
I've got 65% of my retirement

I've got 65% of my retirement fund in one "stock".

It's CEF.

thecoloredsky
thecoloredsky's picture
Hat Tips: 1331
Two (maybe 3) co-workers that

Two (maybe 3) co-workers that are oh so close to realizing what I say:

1) "You told me to buy gold when it was 1400. Now its 1800. Fuck!"
-this guy doesn't believe in metals but tangible items like guns and ammo. I said anything will hold value over paper currency dollars, but gold and silver will likely perform the best. I told him to buy 1/10th oz coins if he has extra cash.

2) "Gold is at 1800 per oz. I can't afford it."
I said "you can't afford not to. Buy small batches and it will add up." This guy loves guns as well but blames the media for everything.

3) "Hey, you see gold at 1800?"
-"Yeah I did. It's almost at 1900." This guy is broke already. Has to hitch rides to work. I don't even try to explain things except for the proverbial, "more printing equals higher gold." I think he understands it at a basic level but has so much more to learn. I'll give him credit, he might have a feint idea what I'm talking about but no way in hell will his family prepare. 401k lifer.

It seems like the "conservative" or "gun-friendly" people realize the overall scope but they still put faith in the dollar. It's the only thing they know and should last forever according to them. Little do they know that gold will eventually become a bubble, but that might be years from now. All these people staring at their 401k's hoping that something will happen. Oh yes something will happen, the Fed will intervene yet again and push stocks back up. But they don't realize their savings are being wiped out by inflation.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Topic locked
Syndicate contentComments for "Confessions of the Sheep"