Self-managed 401k advice

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
aether
aether's picture
Hat Tips: 324
Self-managed 401k advice

Hi everyone,
This is my first post on this site, but i am a long time reader and donator. (been reading since ~2010)

a bit of background:
debt free except mortgage
~3 months living expenses, (6 months surviving expenses )
holder of physical silver and gold (and ammo)
401k worth ~14k that has recently been moved into an account that i can "self manage"
dont know much about trading other that the market is rigged.
expect to have my current job for no more than 10 more years

my goal is to grow my 401k which can be pulled out when i lose my job or before hand if shit starts to get a lot worse.

i am interested in investing in energy, metals and similar "hard assets'. I am interested in the sprott funds and things similar to it.
I have a few sample portfolios that i have been given, it has some suggestions from a like minded guy but i am not really sure where to start.

I am not sure how often i can buy and sell, but if possible i would like to keep it to a few times a month...again not really sure if that is possible, but i know i cant day trade.

I will leave it here for now, as im sure i have left some needed in out, but will respond accordingly.
Any advice that you can pass along would be greatly appreciated

thanks in advance.

Edited by admin on 11/08/2014 - 06:06
ouchtouch
ouchtouch's picture
Hat Tips: 588
My suggestion is that you

My suggestion is that you wait until you become very knowledgeable before you try any kind of trading.  If you just want to diversify away from the $, I suggest that you look at the bullion funds.  The ones run by Sprott (e.g. PHYS) and the Spicer family (GTU, CEF) are generally considered safer than the ones where the metal custodian is a bank.  Here is a link to a spreadsheet someone created on google that shows the ever-changing premiums over (sometimes under) net asset value. 

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AsAy8x4Mq0aSdEsyeFFUTERtY2JHZ05uRU5PV21KZkE&hl=en&authkey=CPmaiOsH#gid=1

thecoloredsky
thecoloredsky's picture
Hat Tips: 1331
You can check this thread for

You can check this thread for ideas:

http://www.tfmetalsreport.com/forum/great-401k-expirement/287

Good thing is you moved money into cash already. With my 401k, all the plans they offer are growth trend. Nothing to hedge with. So, I moved my entire 401k into a self directed account, keeping some cash (money market as they call it in my account) and the rest I dabble with. Although, I'm keeping my balance roughly the same, its not growing in the past few months. I have about 6 miners and also invested in DOG and TZA to hedge against collapses like what we've seen recently. VIX is a good one but I didn't pull the trigger on it.

I think a lot of the people here will tell you to ride miners because we all think the spot prices are going up in the long run.

ouchtouch
ouchtouch's picture
Hat Tips: 588
You have to be careful with

You have to be careful with money market accounts.  Some have a lot of exposure to Eurozone bank short term debt, and I would stay away from those.  The safest place for cash is an ultra-short US Treasury bill fund, if there is one available.  VGSH is the shortest term Vanguard treasury ETF I could find.

Biscuit
Biscuit's picture
Hat Tips: 294
CEF

I am interested in the sprott funds and things similar to it.

CEF

aether
aether's picture
thanks for the

thanks for the responses.

@ouchtouch- thanks for the advice.
i dont plan on doing much trading. i was hoping to get some sort of advice for a "set it and forget it" type funds. i also realize that what is safe today, may not be so safe tomorrow so a completely hands off approach wont work. I will continue to read and learn what i can here and see if i can come up with some specific questions.

@thecoloredsky - Thanks, i will look through that thread. even know im not looking to pull my 401k out, it may come to that. i plan on buying some miners, but i will need to look around before jumping in.

@Buscuit - Thanks :)

JRigs
JRigs's picture
Hat Tips: 15
Educate yourself on the

Educate yourself on the effect of the premiums associated with Sprott funds. Many here may poo-poo the actual significance of this, but real due diligence demands you understand how that can effect your investment (as with any investment) and whether it's worth your money compared to real physical. My own opinion is that it is primarily a factor for short-term concerns (so maybe no big deal for you), but you should decide for yourself. I am long PSLV.

Boy, I sure wish'd I had access to self-manage my 401K.

aether
aether's picture
JRigs wrote: Educate yourself

JRigs wrote:

Educate yourself on the effect of the premiums associated with Sprott funds. Many here may poo-poo the actual significance of this, but real due diligence demands you understand how that can effect your investment (as with any investment) and whether it's worth your money compared to real physical. My own opinion is that it is primarily a factor for short-term concerns (so maybe no big deal for you), but you should decide for yourself. I am long PSLV.

Boy, I sure wish'd I had access to self-manage my 401K.

to my knowledge i cannot get physical metals (in hand) through my 401k. if i am mistaken, please let me know, i would love to buy physical if possible.

the 2nd best thing would be for me to make enough money to cover any fees/penalties and withdraw, then buy metals. i dont see this happening unless i get laid off though, which is why i sort of view my 401k as layoff insurance (separate from my current devalued savings/cushion)

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Topic locked
Syndicate contentComments for "Self-managed 401k advice"