Painted Silver American Eagles

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
lilbromarky1
lilbromarky1's picture
Hat Tips: 2464
Painted Silver American Eagles

I personally think they look like crap and it seems that the painting is done by a 3rd party, not the US mint, which makes the whole idea even more dodgy.   My friend picked up this exact one, down to the year even.  The colors match identical.

Are there any niche painted eagles that if you found the right version made in the right year, it would be worth signif more than spot?  Something tells me the custom paintjob could easily be faked so my current impression is to stay away from them.  I think a nice frosty SAE is a little slice of heaven appearance wise.  Of course I dont own any but I've seen them around and I always thought frosted (as opposed to the more polished looking first strikes) was so nice.

Anyone have thoughts or experiences to add regarding painted SAE's?

Edited by admin on 11/08/2014 - 06:09

Like my ideas? Check our blog at: http://backtobasicseconomics.blogspot.com/

lilbromarky1
lilbromarky1's picture
Update, I was always taught

Update, I was always taught that frosty finishes came naturally after repeated use of the die.  The idea that I was taught was that first strikes generally had the smoothest finish and the last strikes would have most micro defects.  That theory seemed to have logical merit so I never questioned it. 

However, now instead in google searches I'm reading that mint people will sometimes sandblast the die or expose it to acid or use other methods to modify the smoothness of the die to create different types of frost, since frost is liked by many. 

No1Hunter
No1Hunter's picture
Hat Tips: 1324
frosty

You have it backwards.  The newer the die, the more cameo (frosty) effect their is.

lilbromarky1
lilbromarky1's picture
No1Hunter wrote: You have it

No1Hunter wrote:

You have it backwards.  The newer the die, the more cameo (frosty) effect their is.

I see you got some hat tips so I'll take your word for it.  Why would the die makers just not polish up the die before starting the batch? 

R man J
R man J's picture
Hat Tips: 2564
Why not just get a Proof?

Personally, The Proof Coin is the best of all representations. Frosted Liberty and mirror-like shine on the rest. I just purchased a 2011 proof ASE in a mint box for $66.01 free shipping on e-bay, I lost 4 auctions before picking one up at a price LOWER than I bid on the other three.

Before buying this type of stuff, you should own all that you need in standard BU condition.

My goal is to get a gold proof as well. There is a $150 premium for that, though.

Vypuero
Vypuero's picture
Hat Tips: 3999
Proofs really are beautiful

I got some of them as silver quarter sets, I actually have some newer ones plus a bunch I bought at around when silver was cheap so they are much more valuable even just for their bullion content right now.  I might at some point look to sell some of these when silver is really on fire and hold the bullion.

jrobb316
jrobb316's picture
Hat Tips: 932
I think the paint looks like

I think the paint looks like crap too.  I have bought some painted ones in the past, not many, I try to avoid them.  But sometimes, these painted ones are a really good deal, so I buy them.  The first thing I do is take acetone to them and strip off the paint.  The red and blue come off really fast, the white is like a gel, it takes a while longer.  When all the paint is off, I rinse them, dry them, and put them in mint tubes.  Acetone is what is used in fingernail polish remover, by the way.  It has never damaged a coin, probably done it 20 times.

I Am The Unknow...
I Am The Unknown Comic's picture
Hat Tips: 2796
jrob316

@jrob316, just to be clear:

Is it or is it not ok to use my wife's fingernail polish remover?  I was once told that it was better to leave it alone and let the next buyer decide how they are going to clean it.  Obviously this is irrelevant to the person who plans on keeping it the rest of their lives......BUT what happens when it passes to your kids or grandkids and so on.....they may need or want to sell it.  Any advice?

Good luck trading to all, and remember that my thoughts are worth exactly what you paid for them. Trade on your own.

Mudsharkbytes
Mudsharkbytes's picture
Hat Tips: 8519
Cleaning crap off of ASEs

I Am The Unknown Comic wrote:

@jrob316, just to be clear:

Is it or is it not ok to use my wife's fingernail polish remover?  I was once told that it was better to leave it alone and let the next buyer decide how they are going to clean it.  Obviously this is irrelevant to the person who plans on keeping it the rest of their lives......BUT what happens when it passes to your kids or grandkids and so on.....they may need or want to sell it.  Any advice?

I posted something about this in the "Everything Else" forum.

My LCS was OUT of generic silver rounds a few weeks ago, so they offered me some ASE's for the same premium as generics - the catch, the coins were covered in some gluey, gooey crap that looked like hot glue, or maybe contact cement, but as it turned out was something else all together.  As they were all 1987, I guessed that somebody must have mounted them shortly after buying them on some sort of display with some awful, unknown adhesive.

Figuring silver is silver, and feeling confident I could clean 'em off with some acetone, I bought 'em.

Well, acetone did nothing, and nothing else I tried worked either (isopropyl alcohol [in case it was hot glue], goof-off, WD-40).

So as a test, I fired up a propane torch and held one up to the tip of the blue flame with a pair of pliars.  THAT worked!  The goop turned black then for a few moments the entire coin was enveloped in flame - then the stuff just evaporated and I was left with one of the cleanest - whitest ASE's I'd ever seen.  Cleaned 'em all that way then went back and brought 'em out of the rest of the ones they had.  The only problem with this method is, let them cool slowly.  I started dunking them in water to cool them faster and ONE coin warped a little - not much - you only notice it when you stack them all together.

I'm sure if you wanted to quickly remove that paint job, this would work like a charm.  Do it with some ventilation, though - my garage stank to high heaven the first time I tried this!

I have one painted ASE but only because I was able to get it for a good price on eBay.  Personally, I'd just leave it as-is.  Covered in gluey- goop - yeah, clean it.  Painted, naw, just stack it and go on.  You never know - somebody might want to pay you a premium for that cheezy paint job some day!

I Am The Unknow...
Agreed

@mudsharkbytes  You know, I have to agree with you.  Especially with the days ahead of us.  In my lifetime I don't think people are going to care much about the paint.  I'd rather not risk damaging the coin in any way.  If it should become a problem to sell or trade it, then I might have to develop a different attitude. 

Thanks for your post.  Cheers.

Good luck trading to all, and remember that my thoughts are worth exactly what you paid for them. Trade on your own.

jrobb316
jrobb316's picture
Hat Tips: 932
Some fingernail polish

Some fingernail polish remover contains acetone, some doesn't.  Have to read the label.  If it does, sure, go for it.  I had a can of pure acetone in the garage I used, which is probably a little bit stronger.  You can leave well enough alone too, your call.  As far as selling it, you would never know it once painted.  i have heard some people consider it "damaged" if painted.  I wouldn't go that far, but I have picked up painted ones cheaper than non painted ones.  They all seem to be 1999 and 2000s.  I think they painted a ton of them for the turn of century mark.  I do not know who painted them, but I don't think it was the US mint.  Just my personal preference, I prefer them without paint.

I Am The Unknow...
Fingernail Polish

@jrob316,

My wife's fingernail polish does, but yeah, I'm not sure they all do. 

I think I'm just not going to mess with things just now.  Could be a moot point soon.

Thank you very much for your feedback.  You helped me make up my mind.  I hat tipped you!  Thanks!

No1Hunter
No1Hunter's picture
Hat Tips: 1324
Acetone

Forget the fingernail polish remover and get the 100% stuff from the hardware store.  However, read the warning label!!!!  It is nasty stuff to use and very harmful.  Do not get it on your skin.

bern
bern's picture
Hat Tips: 1221
Anyone contemplating MSB's

Anyone contemplating MSB's propane purification better take precautions.  Burning paints, glues or unknown gunk might give off very toxic carcinogens or other chemicals in the smoke.

~~

I dislike the painted coins and avoid them.

Liberty Library ~ PM Bug

Dr G
Dr G's picture
Hat Tips: 17890
I bought my first painted

I bought my first painted coins yesterday. 10 painted ASEs for $ 410 out the door. I couldn't pass that up--$1 over spot! I'll probably leave them as they are. Hella ugly but different and a great reminder of a great find for me!

Mudsharkbytes
Mudsharkbytes's picture
Hat Tips: 8519
Outside

bern wrote:

Anyone contemplating MSB's propane purification better take precautions.  Burning paints, glues or unknown gunk might give off very toxic carcinogens or other chemicals in the smoke.

~~

I dislike the painted coins and avoid them.

That's why I took the second batch outside and cleaned 'em on my back deck.

Metal Monkey
Metal Monkey's picture
Hat Tips: 38
no no no paint!!

Paint is for houses not metals.   Just say no!!!

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Topic locked
Syndicate contentComments for "Painted Silver American Eagles"