American Prospector .999 rounds - are they desirable?

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
lilbromarky1
lilbromarky1's picture
Hat Tips: 2464
American Prospector .999 rounds - are they desirable?

I dont buy silver myself but I have a friend who asked me to post this.  He really loves Prospectors.  They are his favorite non-government sanctioned .999 round.  The look and feel of the man's gold panning dish is just awesome on a brand new one he says.  

Do people around the world find these rounds to be instantly recognizable?  Are they a good round to stack my friend asks? 

Edited by admin on 11/08/2014 - 06:09

Like my ideas? Check our blog at: http://backtobasicseconomics.blogspot.com/

Eric Original
Eric Original's picture
I like them

No idea what people "around the world" think about them.  But here in the US they still garner tremendous respect.  

Back in the day, before US Silver Eagles  pretty much took over the US market, Engelhard and Johnson Matthey were the premium names in silver.  They still command a premium to this day, especially among the older guys.

At my local shops, if you go to buy or sell some silver you find three basic price points.  Highest premium for Eagles.  Next level for Engelhard (including those Prospectors) or Johnson Matthey.  Bottom rung for everything else.  And I do mean everything.  That includes all other government issues such as Maples, Kookaburas, everything.

This isn't a metals blog anymore. It's a right wing circle jerk, masquerading as a metals blog.

lilbromarky1
lilbromarky1's picture
Hat Tips: 2464
Eric Original wrote:No idea

Eric Original wrote:

No idea what people "around the world" think about them.  But here in the US they still garner tremendous respect.  

Back in the day, before US Silver Eagles  pretty much took over the US market, Engelhard and Johnson Matthey were the premium names in silver.  They still command a premium to this day, especially among the older guys.

At my local shops, if you go to buy or sell some silver you find three basic price points.  Highest premium for Eagles.  Next level for Engelhard (including those Prospectors) or Johnson Matthey.  Bottom rung for everything else.  And I do mean everything.  That includes all other government issues such as Maples, Kookaburas, everything.

Awesome.  I had a feeling prospectors and englehards were good.  I remember talking to drutter and he said up in Canada older gents paid nice premiums for high condition prospectors.   My friend is from philadelphia and he said the prospectors show up all the time at the coin shops here, but other places in the country they are rare.

Regarding kookaburra's, I often go with him to the shop and I've only seen 2 of them ever.  Philharmonics only once and he had a deal with the dealer so that if the phils ever showed up the dealer would call him so he could come in and pick up.  Tha's how hard to find some of these "exotic" rounds are.  Prospectors though, all day every day in these parts.

He doesnt ever internet shop so he only grabs what's circulating local

Like my ideas? Check our blog at: http://backtobasicseconomics.blogspot.com/

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Topic locked
Syndicate contentComments for "American Prospector .999 rounds - are they desirable?"