Problems of U.S. Health Care Are Rooted in the Private Sector, Despite Right-Wing Claims

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
SushiSioux
SushiSioux's picture
Hat Tips: 2064
Problems of U.S. Health Care Are Rooted in the Private Sector, Despite Right-Wing Claims

http://www.cepr.net/index.php/op-eds-&-columns/op-eds-&-columns/problems-of-us-health-care-are-rooted-in-the-private-sector-despite-right-wing-claims

--------------

nationalize healthcare and make  the lives of ordinary americans simpler.

Edited by admin on 11/08/2014 - 06:05
tmosley
tmosley's picture
Hat Tips: 14948
In the strictest sense, there

In the strictest sense, there IS no private sector in US Health Care, and hasn't been for 100 years.

http://mises.org/daily/4276

Jasper Puddlemaker
Jasper Puddlemaker's picture
Hat Tips: 1879
BS...

No thanks.  I have had enough experience with the Canadian health care system, and the system here in the US,  to know we don't need big brother running the show here.  

Pyrat
Pyrat's picture
Hat Tips: 293
No Free Market in Health Care

The government is already heavily involved in health care in the US. There is no free market in health care, and neither establishment party is proposing to free it up.

For Example: 1) Physicians are licensed in a cartel arrangement in order to drive up the cost of medicine, 2) because of the tax code, most health insurance is tied to employment, 3) the health insurance companies are heavily regulated and mostly wrote the Obama care reform.

I'm more than highly skeptical that going to a centralized health care system would fix the problem of our current system. At the  moment, most of the costs are being driven by a small percentage of very sick and very old patients. We could just kill all those people off and the system would save a lot of money. However, the old people vote, and the boomers are aging, which is going to make any rational reform difficult or impossible.

The more you look at the problems facing the US, the more obvious it is that a systemic collapse is the most probable outcome. Everyone is convinced that they can win through government by stealing from everyone else. It isn't mathematically possible, but no one seems to care. We'll just borrow the difference until we can't anymore.

Jasper Puddlemaker
Pyrat wrote: The government

Pyrat wrote:

The government is already heavily involved in health care in the US. There is no free market in health care, and neither establishment party is proposing to free it up.

+1

That is a significant reason why costs are prohibitive.  The amount of office staff necessary to handle the bureaucratic nightmare often times exceeds the number of medical staff attending to the patients.

Eternal Student
Eternal Student's picture
Hat Tips: 2162
Thanks

@SushiSioux: Thanks for posting that. The funny thing about the right wingers is that they scream bloody murder about government "death squads", never realizing that the current private sector death squads means that someone gets a bonus for denying you coverage, even if (or especially if) that means you die because of that decision.

That's the "for profit" motive at work for you.

@Jasper: You're only a fan of US Health Care because you can afford it. Many in the US cannot, and do without.  Given the number of Americans who cross the border and attempt to get Canadian health care illegally, I'd say quite a number of people here disagree with you.

Here's a question for you. With the current rate of increases in health care premiums, how long do you estimate that you'll be able to afford American health care? And what are you going to do when it's no longer affordable?

Vypuero
Vypuero's picture
Hat Tips: 3999
Central Planning Always Fails

USA has centrally planned healthcare and so does Canada, so does Europe - they are all FAILURES.  Only individual choice and responsibility work.  Call it anything you want - but a few people cannot make better decisions than everyone individually making their own decisions for their own lives.  It is also the only moral way to live, to trade value for value, and not to force people to you "plan" through threat of violence.

Jasper Puddlemaker
Eternal Student

Eternal Student wrote:

@Jasper: You're only a fan of US Health Care because you can afford it. Many in the US cannot, and do without.  Given the number of Americans who cross the border and attempt to get Canadian health care illegally, I'd say quite a number of people here disagree with you.

Here's a question for you. With the current rate of increases in health care premiums, how long do you estimate that you'll be able to afford American health care? And what are you going to do when it's no longer affordable?

My point was that government controlled health care is not the answer because it would significantly lower our quality of care.  I am not in favor of going backwards.

I would not consider myself a "fan" of US Health Care because I consider it to be a horribly overpriced entity.  Affordable and quality health care is being regulated and litigated out of existence.  What I am against is government-controlled health care systems.  I have a fair amount of experience with the Canadian system from being around my in-laws (all Canadians), and am able to compare it to ours because of my background working in our system down here.   For routine things it works ok, but at critical times it is horrible (long waits for diagnostics,  poor care due to limited personnel, & other issues).   England is worse.    If we lower the bar by establishing similar systems some people will gain; others will lose.  Eventually everyone will lose.

So my point was that the government, any government, regulating and running something is not the answer.  You can't "fix" something by giving control to an entity that always ruins what it controls.  Those who think government control of something is the answer simply have not studied history.

The best health care is affordable when a society is employed, frivolous litigation does not exist, and bureaucrats have a "hands-off" mentality.  Not going to happen at this point.

OK...

"How long will I be able to afford health care?"  and "What are you going to do when it's no longer affordable?"

Will find out soon.  Our present system is not going to continue much longer.  We are experiencing a monumental crisis that will have played out, at the latest,  sometime in the next decade.  I'm not referring to health care alone; I'm referring to our entire socioeconomic system.   I don't know what we will find when we get to the other side, but I know we will be a vastly different society then.

Sorry for the length; tried to keep it as short as possible and still answer.  Also, I don't know if your "right wing" comment was directed at me, but for the record I am libertarian in my social and political views.

Tom L
Tom L's picture
Hat Tips: 6766
Blah Blah

And despite left-wing claims the system we have bears no resemblance to a 'free-market' in health care.  Anyone who says it is is either 1) blind, 2) stupid, or 3) has a serious problem parsing the English language.

This is a non-starter of an argument. 

When we have a free market in health care and it fails to provide service, I'll be happy to say I was wrong.  But, since freaking Progressives have systematically destroyed every market they've touched over the past 100 years or so[1], I'm not holding my breath waiting for the opportunity.

Ta,

[1] - this site is a prime example of just how much they've screwed up something as simple as money.

-- Support bacteria, it's the only culture some people have.

Need Goats or Chickens? Say hello at: www.facebook.com/PirateDogAcres

Dr Durden
Dr Durden's picture
Hat Tips: 5371
There's "health" care in the

There's "health" care in the US? Since when? Last time I checked, we had a booming sick care system.

*stirs pot* 

Got GIABO?

"It's called the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." ~George Carlin

Bobbi
Bobbi's picture
Hat Tips: 712
Here's a different perspective

I don't have a job and I don't have health insurance.  Now, since I don't have a job I don't have the STRESS associated with said job.  Folks, it is empowering to grasp this concept.  Most illnesses are directly related to STRESS. 

/rant on:

Why is it that nearly everyone and their children are on some medication or another .. mostly anti-depressants?? Have you noticed the ever-ending new list of maladies/disorders that we never had before??  Has anyone done a cost-analysis of exactly WHO is running up the healthcare tab?  It is women and dependent children of said women without husbands i.e. the destruction of family in this country is bankrupting us and MOST would rather blame baby-boomers (of which I belong and do not even use the system anymore, nor will I ever again.)   Would it not be more productive to look to our past for natural remedies?  Rather than just continue to support big government, big pharma ??

rant off/

SushiSioux
SushiSioux's picture
Hat Tips: 2064
they could: 1) establish

they could:

1) establish uniform paperwork for medical billing and administration.  other business sectors have this.

2) competition - allow qualified doctors to open practices in America.  currently American doctors do everything to prevent  qualified   professionals from entering the country -  unlike other industries.

3) bulk purchasing of medications  by the government or allow private nonprofit cooperatives purchasing power

4) health insurance should be geared towards individuals versus group policies.  no one expects their company to buy them car insurance.  why do you expect  health insurance to be offered through work? it's a job, not your family.

5) the amount of items that group insurance policies must cover needlessly drives up costs.  they could eliminate several mandatory things in group coverage and reduce the costs.   fertility treatments  should never be covered a group health plan.  if you want kids and are unfortunately having problems conceiving -  that's not a collective problem that needs to be addressed. again by focusing on individual coverage you could tailor policy offerings easier.

Bobbi
Bobbi's picture
Hat Tips: 712
sushiSioux, I agree

Why in the Hell is business burdened with healthcare??  It should be an individual responsibility, just like car or life insurance.   If this were the case, competition in the free market would bring prices down.  If everyone didn't have the view "it's my right and I only have to pay the co-pay" and they actually were accountable for services received, it would be a win-win for us all.  

Get the government the Hell out of our lives.

Eternal Student
Eternal Student's picture
Hat Tips: 2162
@Jasper

Sorry, things have gotten real busy for me lately, which preclude a proper reply. I did want to answer this question though:

Also, I don't know if your "right wing" comment was directed at me, but for the record I am libertarian in my social and political views.

No, that was directed towards the Faux News crowd in general. I'm a fairly direct kind of guy, and would have mentioned you specificially had I intended it as such.

Jasper Puddlemaker
"right wing"...

Eternal Student wrote:

No, that was directed towards the Faux News crowd in general. I'm a fairly direct kind of guy, and would have mentioned you specificially had I intended it as such.

Yes, thanks.  I caught that after I had posted, but it was too late to edit.  Wish there wasn't such a short time limit for editing sometimes.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Topic locked
Syndicate contentComments for "Problems of U.S. Health Care Are Rooted in the Private Sector, Despite Right-Wing Claims"