Herman Cain: THE CREEPING STUPIDITY FILE

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
SushiSioux
SushiSioux's picture
Hat Tips: 2064
Herman Cain: THE CREEPING STUPIDITY FILE

http://www.dnj.com/article/20110717/NEWS01/107170322

Asked what he thought of plans to build an Islamic mosque here, Cain said: "I think it is an infringement and abuse of our freedom of religion, and I don't agree with what's happening here because this isn't an innocent mosque."

He added, "This is another way to sneak Shariah law into our laws, and I absolutely object to that."

===========================

Cain's general comments are just sad.  the bit about ""sneaking Shariah law into our laws""  further pushes the envelope on stupidity.

Edited by admin on 11/08/2014 - 06:23
magis00
magis00's picture
Hat Tips: 413
Agree to disagree

I think Cain said something dumb, but on a different point than the one that irked you SushiSioux:

• the 9/11 Mosque does seem to me to be a way to sneak Sharia law into our country's jurisprudence -- I don't trust the motives of the people behind it, either;
  • the point I think is "stupidity" is "I think it is an infringement and abuse of our freedom of religion". 

I sure hope he didn't mean that, but that is what he said.   

I like the idea that the best response to Free Speech that offends me is to exercise better Free Speech.  His comment about Shariah law is an example. 

. . . Calling the construction of a "religious building" an infringement on the First Amendment is scary.  What would George III have said about a situation like this, and how would it be any different?  Should Cain be considered Illum1nati like Perry? Conspiracy Thread?

SushiSioux
SushiSioux's picture
Hat Tips: 2064
american already supports creeping christianity, judaism, shinto

whats to be feared from Islam?  go visit a mosque this ramadan.

Note: there 's been a mosque in down town NYC for ages.   the community center  is not that big a deal. Reflective of the wonderfully diverse religious faiths here in new york/world. the protesters at the corner were delightfully ill informed, but you have to admire the pimped up van circling the block with loudspeakers  or the zionists on the corner one afternoon with the big  israeli flag insisting a NYC  community center  was a threat to israel's existence.

magis00
magis00's picture
Hat Tips: 413
"Delightfully ill informed" [sic]

Well S.S., takes one to know one re: "delightfully ill informed" [sic].  Perhaps I didn't articulate my thoughts clearly in my first post, so I'll take another shot here.

I don't fear anything from Islam.  What I fear is the "creeping stupidity" (your jingo of the day) of Sharia law, which forms the basis of a 2,000-yr old tradition of oppressing women (how bad is clitoral circumcision, really . . . oh Magis, you're so closed minded and xenophobic).  I don't have anything to fear from Islam.  What I fear from "islam" is the same thing that the Westboro Baptist Church offers "christianity" -- that is to say, nothing of any value whatsoever, unless you are at the tip-top of that particular pyramid scheme and benefit from enslaving those beneath you.  Sharia is a perversion of the spiritual principles of peace and love and gratitude that 99% of the the world's religious abide by.  Islam is a beautiful tradition. 

I take umbrance with the 9/11 Mosque because it's very obvious what the effect of building the "community center" there is.  If it were being undertaken in a conciliatory and respectful and high-minded way, I might feel differently.  If it were called the "Allah doesn't hate Christians; Allah hates islamist murderers Community Center", for example. 

As it is, it's some very well-funded individuals who are shoving it in the faces of people for whom that site represents tragedy and heartache.  And because it's NYC, there's enough sniveling plebes to be apologists for the radical islamists, rather than speaking truth about the matter.

This'll be fun, here's my Nazi argument.  Ready?  If a bunch of really apologetic and affable neonazis wanted to atone for WWII, and wanted to erect a "community center" in Brittany because they felt really badly about all the cute French maids whose teens were scarred by war and whose hedgerows got run over by tanks, etc. etc., -- only our neonazi friends got spikey when the locals said "Uuunnnnhhhh, mais Messieurs vous n'avez pas nous priés de vous excuser pour cette derniére guerre lá . . . hanh hanh hannnh", would you think that was alright? 

Why then, when a group of wealthy and entirely unapologetic islamists who want this to be about "expanding awareness" and "growing acceptance in the community" won't apologize and disown the actions of radical islamists (even if it was WTC7 . . which I think is more likely than not) -- still you've got dudes bombing weddings and hospitals and grade schools and shit.

Militant Islam = fail.  Islam = peaceful religion co-opted by maniacs.  Westboro Baptist Church = Militant Islam.  I can't believe that rant . . .   http://www.acmewebpages.com/midi/shit.wav

stephanie
stephanie's picture
Hat Tips: 9983
Cain on Sharia Law

I actually watched the Herman Cain interview where he was asked about this issue, and I believe his stance is that some of these mosques are not just religious organizations but are trying to change the laws in this country and put Sharia Law on the books. Since we do have laws that limit churches from political involvement, would it be fair to limit mosques from political involvement as well?

Let's remember: Among other things, Sharia Law condemns homosexuals to death and stones women for adultery. Women in Saudi Arabia are right now rebelling against Sharia Law by *driving cars* because otherwise, they are banned from driving. I can't see how anyone who cares about basic human rights can be pro-Sharia Law.

Now. I do wonder whether it's a smart move on Cain's part to take such an aggressive stance against Sharia Law, since people always seem to confuse it with hating Muslims...on the other hand, I wonder if he's doing it on purpose to distinguish himself, as the black Republican candidate, from Obama, who is often accused of being a "Muslim sympathizer."

In other words, he may be trying to set himself apart on this issue. Judging from comments I've read in various places, it seems that a lot of people are actually giving Cain the thumbs up for "saying it like it is." 

Personally, I think Cain is a bit too militant on this issue for my tastes, but I still find him to be one of the better GOP candidates because he seems to be a bit more "real" than the plastic Romney and Bachmann Stepford Candidates.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Topic locked
Syndicate contentComments for "Herman Cain: THE CREEPING STUPIDITY FILE"