22 Carat or 9999 gold coins?

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
mdcromer
mdcromer's picture
Hat Tips: 246
22 Carat or 9999 gold coins?

Which do you prefer?  Why?

I'll go first.  22 Carat for durability and the possibility of circulation in the future.  I own a fractional maple leaf, and it is very cool (if a bit greenish for my tastes) but all the rest of my coins are crown gold.

Edited by admin on 11/08/2014 - 06:31
kenklave
kenklave's picture
Hat Tips: 574
I have heard - and I wouldn,t

I have heard - and I wouldn,t know because I haven,t sold any - that the pure gold coins like maples tend to fetch a lower resale price because they scratch and scuff easily. I have my maples in airtites. But it really does,t matter, a krug or eagle is the same amount of gold as a maple. Just a matter of personal preference.

Dr Durden
Dr Durden's picture
Hat Tips: 5371
I try to save the 99.99% for

I try to save the 99.99% for bars. Just stamped from a reputable company, I don't pay extra for an assayed cert.

Coins, it doesn't matter...whatever's lowest premium. I like commemoratives esp when they're graded and slabbed on the cheap. I do own Eagles and Krug's just cause I think they're important gold items to have.

Got GIABO?

"It's called the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." ~George Carlin

Blorf
Blorf's picture
Hat Tips: 95
As far as coins are

As far as coins are concerned, their value is in their recognizability to whomever you are trading them to.  So buy common ones that would be familiar to people.... kugs, eagles.  I don't see the point in a gold buffalo or 20 franc coin, other than general entertainment.

mdcromer
mdcromer's picture
Hat Tips: 246
20 franc coins

Well to me the advantage of 20 franc coins is that I get fractional gold basically for spot.  Plus the raised letters and stars on the edges are really f'n cool!

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Topic locked
Syndicate contentComments for "22 Carat or 9999 gold coins?"