Uk Silver - VATquestion

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
American Oligarch
American Oligarch's picture
Hat Tips: 221
Uk Silver - VATquestion

Hi Just a quick question.

When I brought some silver bullion from a dealer in the UK I was charged 20% VAT.

Is that it or will I have to pay or collect a further VAT charge, if at any point in the future I sell it back to the bullion company??or someone else.

Thanks for your help.

Edited by admin on 11/08/2014 - 06:09
snoochieboochies
snoochieboochies's picture
Hat Tips: 160
I think you're liable for

I think you're liable for capital gains tax @20% if you make a profit on anything over £8,000. IE: if you bought 8K worth of silver and then sold it for 10K, you'd need to pay 20% capital gains tax on the £2,000 profit.

That's assuming that you are a UK Resident.

I'm a noob, please don't take anything i say as trading advice!!

American Oligarch
American Oligarch's picture
Hat Tips: 221
Thanks

Ok thanks for the information.

daveyboy
daveyboy's picture
Hat Tips: 2417
Just to elaborate on this,

Just to elaborate on this, there are 3 routes to purchasing your silver, the first is through a bullion allocated holding. For this I use bullionvault but will hold off providing the referral code because I don't want to spam.

The second method is through purchasing it from the UK

Third route is to buy the physical from Germany where the VAT rate is 7%

As for the question of capital gains, subject to income, the current threshold is just over 10.000.  Now I am not encouraging you to do so, but when you feel the time is right, you could sell to a private individual and with cash being exchanged. Other than that, you could sell in March, then when the tax year rolls over to April, it is classed as a new tax year and at that point, you could sell again.

So essentially 20.000 tax free

Hope that helps

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Topic locked
Syndicate contentComments for "Uk Silver - VATquestion"