Recommend some mining funds to me...

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
pourty
pourty's picture
Hat Tips: 2678
Recommend some mining funds to me...

My company's 401k plan is changing their tune and allowing us to sign up for a more self-directed investment program with our 401k funds.

Other than Sprott's PHYS (which I didn't find on the list, unfortunately), are there any good ETF's or mutual funds which are either full of good miners or physical commodities holdings?  I put everything into GOLDX last month (as it was the only offering, and it was down at the time) and already have made a nice sum in less than a months time.   Looking for other good ones so I can stay away from the rat race of most stocks and benefit from the PM bull market.

Edited by admin on 11/08/2014 - 06:15
TheGoodDoctor
TheGoodDoctor's picture
Hat Tips: 11941
For less risk maybe go with

For less risk maybe go with GDX or GDXJ. Market Vectors Senior and Junior miners respectively. SIL is the Global X silver miners for silver exposure as you will need some of that too. There is a Global X gold explorers too that appears to be good GLDX. There may be some overlap but you can look at the list of miners at each site for the ETF. These are the ones that I've found to be intriguing. These will help take the risk out and give you a variety of exposure to silver/gold and seniors, juniors and explorers - a nice mix.

Stay away from SLV and GLD. Leveraged ounces. 1 oz of metal for each 100 pieces of paper. Stick with Sprott above.

I'll have to get back to you on the mutual funds. Sprott has some mutual funds too. Also, John Hathaway runs the Tocqueville gold fund which I have heard is very good. There are some at the company that Frank Holmes works at that are good. Here is the link to that site.

http://www.usfunds.com/

Just looked up the listings for the GOLDX. IMHO that would be comparable to the GDX that I listed above. There are some good companies in the top 25 of that fund you listed. For those that want a looksie:

http://quicktake.morningstar.com/syndication/holdings.aspx?cn=GLG117&symbol=GOLDX

Also, if you are looking to ever get into mining companies on an individual equity basis, you certainly can look at what the funds hold and start there. And then peruse the forums for those of us that like to get in on some of the best of breed and the up and coming juniors. Lots of info in the gold miners and silver miners forums!

As always DYODD. Hope this helps!

“Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves.” Norm Franz

Jasper Puddlemaker
Jasper Puddlemaker's picture
Hat Tips: 1879
Mutual funds...

My wife has access to mutual funds for her 401k, but not to ETFs.  Finding a mutual fund that holds some physical was difficult.  Found a couple though.  I have her in First Eagle Gold Fund (FEGOX) because they hold around 16% bullion in addition to the stocks, and in Permanent Portfolio (PRPFX) since they have exposure to gold, silver, and Swiss Francs.  Also, I have her in Tocqueville(TGLDX) and US Global World Precious Minerals Fund (UNWPX) due to their exposure to the junior sector, and to the caliber of people who run those funds.

donpaulo
donpaulo's picture
Hat Tips: 3413
swimming in water over my

swimming in water over my head but I would humbly suggest looking into an emerging market fund, especially south Asia.

pourty
pourty's picture
Hat Tips: 2678
Thanks!

Some good stuff to look into here.  I knew you guys wouldn't let me down!

Fred C Dobbs
Fred C Dobbs's picture
Hat Tips: 101
Mining Funds

You may want to look into NUGT.  It is leveraged ETF.  

MikeScouter
MikeScouter's picture
Hat Tips: 192
Mining Fund

Take a look at USAA Precious Metals and Minerals fund.

Mike

Thurston Howell
Thurston Howell's picture
Hat Tips: 4
GDX and GDXJ Options

I'd like to buy some December GDX options, but the bid/ask spreads are astounding.  How are you guys handling this?  Do you place an order for a point half way between the bid and ask?  Can one reasonably expect to get a buy order filled doing this?  I usually trade options in the SPY and the Q's, which have a much tighter spread.  I would appreciate any hints on how to approach the miners ETF options without getting raped on the spread.

Fred C Dobbs
Fred C Dobbs's picture
Hat Tips: 101
AGQ

Does anyone have an opinion on the leveraged silver etf AGQ?  How about DBS which I have owned for years?  Any risk to these if SLV and/or GLD are shown to be fraudulent?  

As info I already own a whole bunch of physical of silver and gold as well as miners. 

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Topic locked
Syndicate contentComments for "Recommend some mining funds to me..."