What do you pay in comission when buying US and Canadian stocks?

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
Mike
Mike's picture
Hat Tips: 234
What do you pay in comission when buying US and Canadian stocks?

I live in Sweden so it costs about 100 SEK (15$) to buy US stocks, but most mining shares are Canadian listed and then I have to pay 200 SEK or 29 CAD. Seems very high compared to if I buy Swedish companies I can get away with as little as 9 SEK ( 1,4$).

What´s the rates over there ?

Edited by admin on 11/08/2014 - 06:20

A prudent man foresees the difficulties ahead and prepares for them; the simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences. Proverbs 22:3

Eric Original
Eric Original's picture
I pay $9.99 a trade.

I pay $9.99 a trade.

This isn't a metals blog anymore. It's a right wing circle jerk, masquerading as a metals blog.

Big Rocks
Big Rocks's picture
Hat Tips: 511
Interactive brokers

IB charges $1/100 shares any stock anywhere in the world directly on  the exchange. Essential for trading canadian miners.  lowest commissions on options and futures too. www.interactivebrokers.com

JoeyJoeJoe
JoeyJoeJoe's picture
Hat Tips: 682
Most large banking

Most large banking institutions in NA charge $9.99 once you reach a certain threshold value in your brokerage accounts I think... and then there are other brokers that charge lower fees such as IB or Questrade.

madcow
madcow's picture
Hat Tips: 1403
Big Rocks wrote: IB charges

Big Rocks wrote:

IB charges $1/100 shares any stock anywhere in the world directly on  the exchange. Essential for trading canadian miners.  lowest commissions on options and futures too. www.interactivebrokers.com

need 10k to open an account tho right? Tis my goal to get on IB some day :p

Tom L
Tom L's picture
Hat Tips: 6766
$7

$7 per trade for US stocks only, though.

Canadian stocks are 'broker-assisted' only and therefore $27, which I refuse to pay.

Options are $7 + $1.25 per contract.

Ta,

-- Support bacteria, it's the only culture some people have.

Need Goats or Chickens? Say hello at: www.facebook.com/PirateDogAcres

metcoalfan
metcoalfan's picture
Hat Tips: 1982
Etrade

Etrade will let me buy the Canadian miners via the pink sheet foreign ordinary listings for 9.99, though it was just recently only 7.99. You can set up accounts to trade directly on certain foreign markets, Canada included. Not sure what the fees there are as it is not an option for retirement accounts. Unfortunately with the foreign ordinaries, the market has a hidden fee sometimes close to 2% insofar as the US price will be higher than the Cad price adjusted for exchange rate, and then worse on the bid side as well. Tends to be worse on the micro caps. I follow one where Cad ask is .12, but best US price I can ever get is .13 - I consider it a fee, and I usually pay it.

madcow
madcow's picture
Hat Tips: 1403
metcoalfan wrote:Etrade will

metcoalfan wrote:
Etrade will let me buy the Canadian miners via the pink sheet foreign ordinary listings for 9.99, though it was just recently only 7.99. You can set up accounts to trade directly on certain foreign markets, Canada included. Not sure what the fees there are as it is not an option for retirement accounts. Unfortunately with the foreign ordinaries, the market has a hidden fee sometimes close to 2% insofar as the US price will be higher than the Cad price adjusted for exchange rate, and then worse on the bid side as well. Tends to be worse on the micro caps. I follow one where Cad ask is .12, but best US price I can ever get is .13 - I consider it a fee, and I usually pay it.

I use scottrade for the foreign ordinary's (pink sheets) for the canadian miners. havnt noticed any fees or anything really. Ill relook tho.

metcoalfan
metcoalfan's picture
Hat Tips: 1982
Etrade

The explicit fee of 9.99 is the same that I get charged on any purely domestic fee, just saying that there is an implicit embedded fee in that the ask and bid on the foriegn ordinaries in that they are typically 1 to 2% worse than what they should be based on CAD pps adjusted for exchange rate. I've tried limit orders, they never fill unless CAD dips on the ask or goes up on the bid - it's not necessarily my brokerage getting those dollars, but I still view it as a fee, and its a much bigger one than the 9.99 usually.  That said, I mostly trade in IRAs and I've yet to find a broker who will let me trade on a foreign exchange that way.  I do have a friend at Fidelity who used to piggyback on some of my tickers until 6 months back or so Fidelity (99% sure it was Fideliy) started putting a 50 dollar surcharge on top of their usual fee for F.O.s.  Someone else mentioned IB - I've talked with them - they have two pricing structures for trades on foreign exchanges - one for shares under a buck or two (can't remember exactly) and one for those over - if anyone is interested in IB and mostly trades the cheaps - call and ask first. 

Tom L
Tom L's picture
Hat Tips: 6766
madcow wrote: metcoalfan

madcow wrote:

metcoalfan wrote:

I use scottrade for the foreign ordinary's (pink sheets) for the canadian miners. havnt noticed any fees or anything really. Ill relook tho.

I use Scottrade as well.  The commission for stocks less than $1 is $7 plus 0.5% of the total transaction amount. 

Ta,

-- Support bacteria, it's the only culture some people have.

Need Goats or Chickens? Say hello at: www.facebook.com/PirateDogAcres

Shrubcrawler
Shrubcrawler's picture
Hat Tips: 129
JoeyJoeJoe wrote: Most large

JoeyJoeJoe wrote:

Most large banking institutions in NA charge $9.99 once you reach a certain threshold value in your brokerage accounts I think... and then there are other brokers that charge lower fees such as IB or Questrade.

Questrade Canada charges lower trading fees than the banks, but they also add other fees:

http://www.questrade.com/pricing/exchange_ecn_fees.aspx

mouser
mouser's picture
Hat Tips: 5116
I trade thru TD

I am in Canada as an active trader  , thru TD Waterhouse discount brokerage  i get trades at 7$ with  no hidden fees, and no limit to the size of the trade.

You can get 9.99 trades simply by having  50,000 $ in assets with TD, in the bank, including RRSPs etc.

JoeyJoeJoe
JoeyJoeJoe's picture
Hat Tips: 682
mouser wrote: I am in Canada

mouser wrote:

I am in Canada as an active trader  , thru TD Waterhouse discount brokerage  i get trades at 7$ with  no hidden fees, and no limit to the size of the trade.

You can get 9.99 trades simply by having  50,000 $ in assets with TD, in the bank, including RRSPs etc.

... and that's $9.99/trade with $50k assets per household too.  Got wife / kids / roommate(s)?  $50k's all you need per household.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Topic locked
Syndicate contentComments for "What do you pay in comission when buying US and Canadian stocks?"