War Games Journal

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
tmosley
tmosley's picture
Hat Tips: 14948
War Games Journal

Hello Everyone,

Some of you may recall that I was calling for a series of "drills" to ensure that we are all prepared for economic hard times/collapse.  Well, the first one is scheduled to start today, and I'm going to do it.

The rules are here: http://www.tfmetalsreport.com/forum/1239/drill-time

I will be posting here daily as the drill/war games continue.  Anyone else who is participating is encouraged to post about your experiences, good and bad, here as well.

My first comment is that I found that I had more gas in my car than was allowed by the rules, so I am going to stop by the gas station and calculate how much it would have cost to fill up to the current level, and subtract that from my allowance.  At least I will be good on gas ;)

Edited by admin on 11/08/2014 - 06:06
tmosley
tmosley's picture
So the first day went by

Day 1:

So the first day went by totally normally.  I didn't buy anything, but just came right home after work.  This may be too easy.

Discussed the scenario with the family, and we decided it would be best to take money out of each of our allowances and make a general fund for food and fuel purchases.  Makes things easier.  Further, since this is canning season, and my mother is a canning fanatic (who is participating in this scenario), we granted her free reign to use her truck so long as it was only to get supplies for canning etc.  If she wants something to eat, or a product to use now, she must either use my car, or call me so I can pick it up on the way home from work.  We aren't allowed to eat anything she cans in this manner during the scenario, unless it is bought with scenario money (fat chance), or comes from one of our gardens.

I'll be going shooting on Sunday.  Probably alone, since it is damn hot out around here.

Looking forward to a nice night watching movies and playing games.

John Law
John Law's picture
Hat Tips: 138
Are you going to include any

Are you going to include any "unexpected" problems in your scenario? For instance, the gas station you get gas at usually has run out of gas, taken over by a gang, shut down, etc. and you have to drive an extra 10 or miles to find gas and have to pay 20% more for.it?

And say something happened at the power station and it has to shut down for a few days so you're without power, and if you're on city water, something happens at the water treatment plant and you're without water for few days and when it returns it's no longer filtered so you have to boil it.

tmosley
tmosley's picture
Nope.  The first one is

Nope.  The first one is "easy".  Will do more things like that later.

There is no way the family will allow me to shut off the power, even if I wanted to.  It is currently 107 degrees outside.

tmosley
tmosley's picture
Hello again everyone.  I had

Hello again everyone.  I had a late night canning last night, so I didn't get to pen an update.  

Day 2:

We had 50 pounds of peaches, 50 pounds of Roma Tomatoes, and 50 pounds of mangos that we caught on sale (off budget--remember, don't let the drill interfere with your prepping, just don't eat a bunch of it, since you didn't pay for it with drill money, and it wasn't an existing prep).  Anyways, we did taste them, and the mangos were DELICIOUS.  They came out to about two dollars per quart.  Really an amazing price, considering how tasty they are.  The peaches are about half of that, cheaper than you can get in the store, and MUCH higher quality.  We will see about the tomotos today.  We will be canning those and the remaining peaches today and tomorrow.

One thing I noticed today is that when you are working hard in the kitchen, with no space for cooking, you tend to consume a lot of canned meat.  We had some low sodium spam with fried up with yams for breakfast (don't knock it until you try it--it's actually really good), baloney sandwiches for lunch (we ran out at the end, so I had Vienna Sausage), and ramen with poached eggs for dinner.  Not exactly the healthiest food I've ever eaten, but not bad.  There were plenty of mango scraps throughout the day, and I couldn't resist gnawing on a few seeds despite it being against the rules.  Fresh mango is hard to beat.  Hopefully things will slow down a bit so we can see how things will go normally, when we aren't working in the kitchen on stuff we can't eat all day.  We are almost out of bread, and I would prefer to bake some fresh out of our stores rather than go buy bread at the store.

Funny thing happened with my mother--she LOST some of her clothing, and went and bought some more out of her drill allowance.  Weird expenses crop up during these things, I guess.  I checked my tires on Friday, and one of them needs to be replaced.  Looks like I'm going to have to "sell" some silver to afford it.

We probably won't be doing much outside of the house today.  I was planning on going shooting, but 50 pounds of tomatos, 25 pounds of peaches, and several loads of laundry stand in my way.  Maybe I'll set up a target for my pellet gun instead.  I tried some subsonic rounds I bought a while back for my .22, and they made just as much noise as the regular ones, and they still made a clearly audible crack of a sonic boom.  What crap.  If it didn't, I would use that for target shooting in the back yard.

Jappleseed911
Jappleseed911's picture
Hat Tips: 190
Xlnt topic Tmosley. Here is

Xlnt topic Tmosley. Here is the Settlement Cookbook as referenced in your origination thread. It's a free download and it's coming from Michigan State University (so it's safe & virus/spam free). Big @ 98MB but it's a direct scan from someone's cookbook. Really interesting historical document on Depression era cooking.

http://digital.lib.msu.edu/projects/cookbooks/html/books/book_52.cfm

click on "View PDF" between the purple bars and save.

tmosley
tmosley's picture
Thanks Appleseed.  I'll check

Thanks Appleseed.  I'll check that out later.

Days 3-4

So on Sunday, we finished canning the tomotoes, and had a rest.  Not very eventful.  On Monday, I went to work as usual, and stopped by the store for some basics (milk, eggs, yogurt for my lunches).  Normally I don't do the shopping, but this was done in the interest of saving gas, since I pass all the stores we normally shop at except for Sam's Club on the way back.  When I got back home, we finished up the last of the peaches.  We'll see what will happen next.

Full Bell Lines
Full Bell Lines's picture
Hat Tips: 70
A thought on canning..

tmosley,

Thanks for the interesting updates and thoughts.  Hope to learn a little from your drill.

We can a good bit and until this spring did it all inside.  Lately we have used a propane burner for a turkey frier and done the canning on the porch.  Several benefits: No extra heat in the house, the canner comes up to temp MUCH faster, and a grill size bottle of propane lasts and lasts.   Plus, we've gained the experience of an additional menas of cooking outside or 'off-grid'.  We still do most prepwork inside, but can conserve the a/c with the canner on the porch.  Just a thought.

FBL

tmosley
tmosley's picture
Full Bell Lines

Full Bell Lines wrote:

tmosley,

Thanks for the interesting updates and thoughts.  Hope to learn a little from your drill.

We can a good bit and until this spring did it all inside.  Lately we have used a propane burner for a turkey frier and done the canning on the porch.  Several benefits: No extra heat in the house, the canner comes up to temp MUCH faster, and a grill size bottle of propane lasts and lasts.   Plus, we've gained the experience of an additional menas of cooking outside or 'off-grid'.  We still do most prepwork inside, but can conserve the a/c with the canner on the porch.  Just a thought.

FBL

That is a good idea.  Bad thing is that it is so hot outside here.  It's above 100 every day for the rest of the week.  It's real tough on anyone to work outside in those temperatures.  I will think about it for spring and fall canning, and summers when it isn't so damned hot.

tmosley
tmosley's picture
Hi all, Haven't updated in

Hi all,

Haven't updated in the last couple of days.  I've gotten a nasty rash on the back of my knee, and have been trying to keep it dry.  In this Texas heat, that means staying inside, and basically not doing anything.  I've still had to go in to work.  Walking around is TERRIBLE.  Makes me want to tear my skin off, it itches so bad.  I got some Cortizone-10 for it, which works as long as I don't move.  That has eaten up much of my remaining budget.  

We are now down to a total of $37.  Considering I am going to have to get gas tomorrow, things are getting dicey.  Thus far, I have managed to avoid dipping into the silver, but I am going to have to to get a tire replaced on my car.  Not much way around that, unless I want to pay to get my bike tuned up and take my life into my hands by riding it to work (bicyclists aren't loved by the people who drive on my work-home route).

The good news is that we have saved so much by living this way, that I will be able to buy 20% more than my normal monthly silver purchase.  So there's that, at least.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Topic locked
Syndicate contentComments for "War Games Journal"