90% Silver Coins

25 posts / 0 new
Last post
SilverTree
SilverTree's picture
Hat Tips: 4521
90% Silver Coins

Should I stick to Dimes, Quarters and Halves?  I like Silver dollars but they seem to carry a higher prem.

Edited by admin on 11/08/2014 - 06:09
tread_w_care
tread_w_care's picture
Hat Tips: 3056
Depends on what you plan to use them for . . .

For investment doesn't much matter.

When we get the the point of using them for barter/money, then you'll definitely want some dimes in the mix for purchasing small items, say a dozen eggs or a loaf of bread.

Or so I have heard.  Also consider any premium differences, get whatever is cheapest.

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it." - Frederic Bastiat http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Fr%C3%A9d%C3%A9ric_Bastiat

Dr Durden
Dr Durden's picture
Hat Tips: 5371
'64 Kennedy halves are often

'64 Kennedy halves are often in great condition as they haven't been around as long nor have they been circulated as much as dimes and quarters. They're my personal favorite 90% buy and I've picked them up around spot often. Once and awhile the premium will shot up to 10% or more for whatever reason. 

Standing Liberty quarters are often very worn and should almost be sold by the pound as cull. Avoid would be my advice. Washington's can be nice.

Dime rolls are great to stack. I just missed an auction the other day for a BU '62-P roll for right near spot, so you can pick them up on the cheap, too.

I don't trust Morgan's, personally. Too many good copy-cats. Peace dollars can be nice if you find a good deal.

I tell people all the time, if you want a lesson on inflation, go to a coin shop or eBay and realize how much the change once hauled around in people's pockets is now sold for. It's almost hard to wrap your head around, but it's real, it's here and it's not going to get any cheaper. 

Got GIABO?

"It's called the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." ~George Carlin

No1Hunter
No1Hunter's picture
Hat Tips: 1324
Silver Dollars

The reason silver dollars carry more of a premium is because they contain more actual silver than two halves, 4 quarters, or ten dimes.  You are looking at .7735 troy ounces each compared to .7234 troy ounces in two half dollars 4 quarters, or ten dimes.  Ordinary people also like silver dollars which also adds to the premium a little. 

When I look for 90%, I try to see if they have silver dollars in the mix as it is a bonus.  and, as the good doctor said, watch what you are buying.  Generally, the old it is, the more worn it is thought generally speaking, silver dollars did not circulate very much and most are really close to the weight of a new one.

I hold a mix of 90% (dimes to dollars - the majority being dimes and quarter rolls), ASE's (Maple leaves are included in this mix but very few), and some bullion.  The bullion is basically generic bullion rounds and bars.

Eric Original
Eric Original's picture
Silver DOllars

I have some, but I kind of regret it.  Paid too much premium for them in hindsight.  Now that I've paid it, the cost is sunk, I'll keep them.  But if I had to do it all over again, I'd avoid them. 

Even now, every time I look at them I'm reminded that I overpaid for them.  So they bring me little joy.

This isn't a metals blog anymore. It's a right wing circle jerk, masquerading as a metals blog.

jrobb316
jrobb316's picture
Hat Tips: 932
I just watch the condition

I just watch the condition the coins are in when I find them.  I never pay more than spot and maybe 5%.  If someone wants more, I can find them cheaper.  I second the 1964 Kennedy half, I have yet to find one in bad shape and is also my favorite for stacking.  I have bought dollars in the past but I pretty much have stopped doing so because of the fakes, but the ones I bought were at about spot.  There are also a lot of Washington quarters I have found that are extremely worn.  I believe in having a little bit of everything, but for a SHTF scenario I believe the dime will be king.  A personal goal of mine is 1000 dimes, and i'm almost there.  Other than that, I focus on .999

SilverTree
SilverTree's picture
Hat Tips: 4521
Thanks guys, this is great

Thanks guys, this is great advice!

My wife and I just had a baby girl; i've been scrambling to prepare but fear its not enough. On the other hand I figure im light years ahead of others.

Gramp
Gramp's picture
Hat Tips: 5289
Good info guys!

Have a mix of the above mentioned.

Looking around locally, I just found ASEs listed in the paper, Tube of 20 Unopened condition for $720!

Me Like!

yes

~ Even a dead Fish can go with the flow ~

maravich44
maravich44's picture
Coinflation.com

Good site for silver content and values on US coins. Best.

jrobb316
jrobb316's picture
I have found most of my 90%

I have found most of my 90% on the local craigslist.  Actually have guys that call me when they have some to sell and let me pick through it first.  I have gotten away from 90% because I think .999 is better and more desirable, except in a barter situation.  I have probably $200 face of 90%, I feel that is good enough.

Overall I feel I don't have enough either, but all we can do is all we can do and afford.  Yes we will be light years ahead of the people that don't prepare in various ways, but I don't want that to be comforting to me and compare my preps to the general population.  I buy extra food, as much PMs as I can, and am trying to diversify my skills (actually change careers) into something not as economy dependent.

lilbromarky1
lilbromarky1's picture
Hat Tips: 2464
I agree.  90% for barter,

I agree.  90% for barter, bullion & rounds for wealth

90% dealer buy back rates generally are very low, to the point that it negates the savings that you make by not paying a premium when you buy it.

Like my ideas? Check our blog at: http://backtobasicseconomics.blogspot.com/

Mr. Picklepants
Mr. Picklepants's picture
Hat Tips: 441
Well, I know Jefferson war

Well, I know Jefferson war nickels are not 90%, but their melt value is very close to a mercury dime(as of today 2.20 vs 2.80). And I got one in my change from subway this morning. perfect condition 1942. Made my day.

What's wrong with using them as barter? Popularity? I'm sure if silver goes the moon, that problem will be solved pretty fast.

Double Bogey
Double Bogey's picture
Hat Tips: 1349
A thin dime

The discussion on wear and tear of the 90% prompted me to pull out a few rolls of dimes to weigh and calculate the silver content. I'm probably not saying anything that you don't already know, but the results were at least interesting, and something that had been in the back of mind anyway. The potential difference in value will certainly be even more significant as the price of silver climbs. (Hey, an ounce here and there will add up as you're stacking.)

A roll of uncirculated Roosevelt dimes weighed 124.2 grams, which equates 111.78 g of silver. At $40/oz, worth $144.68. A roll of circulated Roosevelt dimes weighed 125.3 grams. (Who said grime doesn't pay?)

A roll of circulated Mercury dimes weighed 122.4 grams, or 110.16 g of silver. At $40/oz, worth $141.68.

A roll of Barber dimes looks like it's missing a few, but 50 of them weighed 113 grams, or 101.7 g of silver. At $40/oz, worth $130.80. The phrase "one thin dime" was probably "coined" using a dime from this particular roll. Just sayin...

There are dealers that will sell everything at a multiple of face, but if there's wear and tear at buyback time, they'll weigh and calculate silver content. Something you'd expect more of as the price goes up.  Buyer beware.

My personal favorites are Franklin halves and Mercury dimes, and my local guy lets me pick out the ones I want.  Most of the time they have little wear, and are easily identifiable as 90% silver without looking at the date.

Turdites rock!

Save_America1st
Save_America1st's picture
Hat Tips: 4165
20 free 90% silver dimes...

This is not an ad or solicitation or whatever.  Just a commercial I heard, and I went ahead and called them up to get my free dimes.  So I thought I'd just share:

I was listening to the radio just now, and a Roslin Capital commercial said they were offering 20 free 90% silver dimes (pre-1965) free along with their free gold investors guide if you called them at 800-375-0333. 

I called the number and told the operator I heard the gold investors guide commercial offering the 20 free silver dimes.  She said, ok, and asked for my phone number and mailing address and said thank you and that was all there was to it.

I don't need their gold investors guide, but hey, 20 free 90% silver dimes is still free silver, so why not?

Anyways, just thought I'd share since it seemed like an easy call w/out any questions other than needing my address.

arch stanton
arch stanton's picture
Hat Tips: 2079
@Double Bogey

Amen to your Franklins and Mercurys.  I have lots of Kennedys but they are a hassle due the 40% issue as each one has to be checked because you can't tell the difference by looking at the reeded edges.  I like Walking Libs, but unless you can hand select you will get lots of slicks.  Have you done your informative experiment on anything but dimes?  Also do you find the supply of older 90% (Franklins etc) drying up?

Eric Original
Eric Original's picture
silver or clad?

For your weight on uncirculated Roosevelts, were those silver or clads?  There's a difference.

I think if you google it, wikipedia or whatever, you can get the original weight of all these coins, whether pre or post 65.

This isn't a metals blog anymore. It's a right wing circle jerk, masquerading as a metals blog.

maravich44
maravich44's picture
Coinflation.com

@Eric O, this site has all this info.

lilbromarky1
lilbromarky1's picture
Hat Tips: 2464
Double Bogey wrote: The

Double Bogey wrote:

The discussion on wear and tear of the 90% prompted me to pull out a few rolls of dimes to weigh and calculate the silver content. I'm probably not saying anything that you don't already know, but the results were at least interesting, and something that had been in the back of mind anyway. The potential difference in value will certainly be even more significant as the price of silver climbs. (Hey, an ounce here and there will add up as you're stacking.)

A roll of uncirculated Roosevelt dimes weighed 124.2 grams, which equates 111.78 g of silver. At $40/oz, worth $144.68. A roll of circulated Roosevelt dimes weighed 125.3 grams. (Who said grime doesn't pay?)

A roll of circulated Mercury dimes weighed 122.4 grams, or 110.16 g of silver. At $40/oz, worth $141.68.

A roll of Barber dimes looks like it's missing a few, but 50 of them weighed 113 grams, or 101.7 g of silver. At $40/oz, worth $130.80. The phrase "one thin dime" was probably "coined" using a dime from this particular roll. Just sayin...

There are dealers that will sell everything at a multiple of face, but if there's wear and tear at buyback time, they'll weigh and calculate silver content. Something you'd expect more of as the price goes up.  Buyer beware.

My personal favorites are Franklin halves and Mercury dimes, and my local guy lets me pick out the ones I want.  Most of the time they have little wear, and are easily identifiable as 90% silver without looking at the date.

Turdites rock!

This is the analysis I've been waiting for someone to help out with (someone with a good scale).   Thank you so much!  This reconfirms my strategy and it also will change the way I think about thinking about buying Ag. (I dont own any now but have been considering entering the market, if I could only save a few pennies up).  Maybe one day.

Like my ideas? Check our blog at: http://backtobasicseconomics.blogspot.com/

Dr Durden
Dr Durden's picture
Hat Tips: 5371
arch stanton wrote:I have

arch stanton wrote:
I have lots of Kennedys but they are a hassle due the 40% issue as each one has to be checked because you can't tell the difference by looking at the reeded edges.  

What's this, now? Are there knock offs going around? 

Got GIABO?

"It's called the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." ~George Carlin

jrobb316
jrobb316's picture
No, if you look at the edge

No, if you look at the edge of a 1964 kennedy you will see no copper.  If you look at a 1965 kennedy you will also see no copper, even though its only 40%.  If you look at any other kennedy half you will see copper.  So if you look at a stack of dimes, finding a silver one is very easy, just look for a coin without the copper in it.  Easy way to check your pocket change when its given, though I have only found 1 1964 dime in the last 2 years.

tread_w_care
tread_w_care's picture
Hat Tips: 3056
Someone here was mentioning a method

Of picking up missed 90% silver by buying rolls of halves, et cetera from their local bank, sorting through, plucking the gems, then returning completed w/ 1965+ rolls later.

Did I imagine that?  I'd be quite surprised if there were still many in circulation.  Not sure if that's worth a try/the trouble.  Has anyone had any success doing this?

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it." - Frederic Bastiat http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Fr%C3%A9d%C3%A9ric_Bastiat

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Topic locked
Syndicate contentComments for "90% Silver Coins"