Internet kill switch

1 post / 0 new
thecoloredsky
thecoloredsky's picture
Hat Tips: 1331
Internet kill switch

After seeing the major disruptions in Egypt and other MENA countries, they shut down the internet and it made me wonder about a few things.

First off, the government is making everyone turn in their rabbit ears and go digital. This already happened. So anyone with cable lines is potentially subject to information kill switches.

Second, cable lines carry both internet and TV signals. Is it possible to cut off one and not the other?

Thirdly, cell phones transmit through local towers then enter the communication grid.

What I'm getting is how can we stay up with breaking information in case government switches the internet off? Are there certain providers that we can connect through? How did people in Egypt able to upload videos when the Internet was turned off?

It would be nice if Turdites had a contingency plan so we can interact if communication shuts down for a few days. I realize short wave is nice, but there should be a way to communicate nationally, if not globally, during a quick crisis.

Edited by admin on 11/08/2014 - 06:06
Syndicate contentComments for "Internet kill switch"