Learning 2 Shoot & Can

28 posts / 0 new
Last post
ginger
ginger's picture
Hat Tips: 2799
Learning 2 Shoot & Can

...Is how I spent the July 4th week. I knew how to do neither until this week but as part of my 'Summer Prepare Accordingly' goals I now can do both! Granted, I'm not really great at either yet but took the first steps and am now just needing more practice at both.

Practiced shooting at cans in the pasture and hit targets with both a 22 rifle (which I understand is not that difficult) and with a 22 handgun. It was silly how nervous I felt before pulling that trigger the first time. Almost couldn't do it. Almost brought tears to my eyes. Really developed an almost awe of the power you have to respect and control you need to develop. Does that sound silly?

Canned green beans, corn, strawberry jam, and am now working on potatoes, blackberries, blueberries, apples and I want to also get peaches and squash and okra. Which is really wild because I've not always (ok ever) been a vegetable's number 1 fan. ...Veggies, boo. no

And just so this thread doesn't sound like a completely worthless tooting-my-own-horn sort of thread I REALLY would love to get some canning tips from the pros. Namely, I burned the first batch of corn doing EXACTLY what the recipe book said. 'Transfer corn mixture to a stainless steel pot and cook on medium-high heat for 3 minutes prior to transferring to hot jars.' ....I had no sooner gotten the pot on the burner (it was nowhere near boiling) when I smelled a burning smell. The corn on the bottom was burning.. indecision...which gave the entire batch a burned flavor. Blah. ....So, I have decided to skip that step about boiling for 3 minutes prior to transferring to jars. I mean if you're going to pressure something for 85 minutes.. why in heck do you need to first boil it for 3 minutes?  Makes no sense to me but then again these ARE vegetables we are talking about ..and vegetables and me haven't always been the best of friends. Veggies, gek. no

So! >>Let this be the Canning Tip Thread! Or Shooting Tip Thread .....Unless, such a thing already exists and then we can just point me to it and pretend this thread never happened. wink yes

Edited by admin on 11/08/2014 - 06:06
UGrev
UGrev's picture
Hat Tips: 884
You have to boil it to bring

You have to boil it to bring the temp of the corn mixture up or you can crack the jars with the room temp corn mixture. 

ginger
ginger's picture
UGrev, Thank you ..makes

UGrev,

Thank you ..makes sense. ....I'm learning and this is really (sort of) fun.  .....Worked on apple jam yesterday with little green apples from MIL's back yard. These apples just usually come and go every season and no one pays them any attention. ............Funny how as this potential economic crisis unfolds I find myself being more and more frugal and paying attention to using and restoring things I hadn't before. .......I guess I'm a micro picture of the things that were wrong in this country ....too much waste and not enough good old fashioned make-do.

Thanks again.

Laineyisat
Laineyisat's picture
Hat Tips: 238
re: canning and shooting...

Hi Ginger,

I'm in the same boat as you.... we just bought shotguns - haven't been out to shoot them yet.... I didn't grow up around guns... and hate the thought of having to defend our lives/property against violence with violence! So sad - what this country/world has become. 

I am wanting to can this summer... bought the jars... but I've never done it completely by myself and I find that I am reluctant to jump in!!! 

: /

I'll get there... just gotta clear my plate and work up my nerve!

I wish I had a friend like you close by where we could tackle these things together!

Blessings on the work of your hands and all of your preps! 

: )

Lainey

John Clark
John Clark's picture
Hat Tips: 67
Learning 2 shoot and can sounds like a plan...

Learning 2 shoot and can sounds like a plan. I would like to try canning tomatoes for the first time this year. Shooting at cans is a different story. You need gun safety and basic shooting skills training. Someone should be able to help you out locally. Also, the late Jeff Cooper has many books on the subject. One of my favorites is ' To Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth '.

Have a safe and good summer.

JC

"Hope for the best and plan for the worst"

"Hope for the best and plan for the worst"

Kumanari
Kumanari's picture
Hat Tips: 1465
bring h20 to boil first

When cooking most items, boil water first, then drop in corn or what have you, except for thick/dense items such as potatoes you want to place them in water then turn on stove as placing them in boiling h20 will over cook outside before insides are done.

jrobb316
jrobb316's picture
Hat Tips: 932
canning

http://www.pickyourown.org/

Excellent canning site, I just canned 7 jars of peaches last night.  Its super easy, don't sweat it.  If you mess up the first can, just eat it right away.  People look at me dumbfounded that I know how to can because i'm 30.  Also, check out the book "Summer in a jar".  Go on amazon and buy a used copy for 10 bucks, its out of print, from the 80s.  Excellent book on making pickles, jams, everything.  It was recommended to be by a older guy at work.

http://www.amazon.com/Summer-Jar-Making-Pickles-Jams/dp/0913589144/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1310431721&sr=8-1

stealthbear
stealthbear's picture
Hat Tips: 2055
canning

I've been canning and shooting for many years and love to do both.  The best advice I have for canning is to always follow cooperative extension canning recipes and procedures.  Cooperative extensions are associated with state universities and you can look up their canning recipes online by the vegetable or fruit you want to can.  If you are canning vegetables such as green beans (not pickled ones) you need a pressure canner; a water bath canner isn't safe!  The last thing you want is for someone, or yourself, to get deathly ill from unsafe produce you have preserved.  Enjoy the fruits of your labor this winter!! 

ColonelCooper
ColonelCooper's picture
Hat Tips: 21
I recommend buying The Joy of

I recommend buying The Joy of Pickling. 

http://www.amazon.com/Joy-Pickling-Flavor-Packed-Recipes-Vegetables/dp/1558323759/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1310487093&sr=8-1

This book has some EXCELLENT recipes, my all time favorite being the Zydeco Dilled Beans. (bloody mary's) Last year alone, I made over 90 pints of these.  If you share them with your friends you'll wish you had made twice that!  Also, Chow Chow and Picalilly relishes are unbelievable.

I find it nice to have some good alternative recipes to pressure canning, because the vegetables won't wait for you to have time to can, and pickling in the water bath is a heckuva lot quicker.

ColonelCooper
ColonelCooper's picture
Another Thought

In the winter time, I make a lot of soups.  The pressure canner hardly ever gets put away.  We eat the soup for dinner, maybe hold out a bowl or two for lunch the next day, and into jars goes the rest of it.  By the time school lets out for the summer, I have a ton of homemade soup (seven or eight kinds this year) for the kids to eat for lunch. 

Also, does anyone here have any experience with the Tattler's Reusable lids?  I bought a ton of them, but haven't used them yet. 

tmosley
tmosley's picture
Hat Tips: 14948
We canned some fresh mangos

We canned some fresh mangos and made and canned mango salsa this past weekend.  Caught a great sale on them.  Calculated that they were about $1 worth of contents per pint jar.  Sounds expensive, but these mangos are DELICIOUS.

As part of my drilling, I plan to go shoot a brick or so of .22 over the next two weeks.  Hopefully it won't be too hot out.  

ginger
ginger's picture
Hey everybody, I am working

Hey everybody,

I am working on blueberry jam today! (Notice how I get excited about the sweet stuff ...moreso than the veggies..hehee cool)

Anyway.. ..I got so busy the last few days and had trouble posting on the blog here so I have fallen behind on reading everyone's excellent suggestions until tonight.

Kumanari, who knew? boil the water FIRST.. ..I will be doing that because it really aggravated me when I burned all that corn after all that work getting the corn off the cob ...and shucking and silking ....blah. I wish I had posted this thread before I started all this. Thanks so much as always..

Lainey! ..You can do it! ..It really is not difficult. I was very apprehensive about learning to can. As jrobb, stealthbear, ColonelCooper and others have said here.. ..a good book or online site is a MUST. You really can't go wrong (well, except for minor little details like the corn/water that kumanari straightened me out on). But I figure that once I/we go through the process once with each thing you are going to can, you really learn the tricks and the particulars that you need to know to make each thing a success. ..It's just like anything else in life I guess.. the more you study it and practice it.. the better we become at it! ....And yes, I'd LOVE to have a good friend locally too to go through some of this with. ...It's just me and my pressure cooker over here in NC. ....Care to move here?? .....smiley

John Clark, thank you.. Your words are wise. Gun safety and the basic skills taught by a professional is probably the very best idea ....although as long as my husband has been shooting & hunting he thinks he is a pro!

tmosley, ColonelCooper, the soups and salsa sound wonderful. ...I have not even thought of getting that far yet. Just learning the basic veggies & fruits but how cool it would be to have all that soup and salsas stored up for a meal by itself or to make any meal better. .....You've got me thinking....

I've never heard of the reusable lids.. ..that DEFinitely sounds like something I need to look into. ...When supplies get scarce it would be great to know you didn't have to keep buying the lids over and over again.. .......I've got a great canning book but that Joy of Pickling one sounds great ..along with the sites mentioned here.. ....wonderful resources..thank you all...

ColonelCooper
ColonelCooper's picture
Tattler Lids

Here's the link to their website:

http://www.reusablecanninglids.com/

They are quite a bit more expensive, but if they work as advertised they will certainly pay off.  Good luck, Ginger.

steeled
steeled's picture
Hat Tips: 576
great thread Ginger! I've

great thread Ginger! I've never canned, but intend to--it's just a bit too hot right now here in the desert, so will try in the fall. In a similar vein, does anyone use a dehydrator? I just got one and am excited to try it out in the next couple of days.

you get as good as you give

Eric Original
Eric Original's picture
Ginger: don't like veggies! Can Bacon!!

Just kidding guys!

Just an excuse to put a comment on here so it's easier for me to follow this thread in my history.  Good stuff.

This isn't a metals blog anymore. It's a right wing circle jerk, masquerading as a metals blog.

steeled
steeled's picture
Eric Original

Just an excuse to put a comment on here so it's easier for me to follow this thread in my history.  Good stuff.

you can always add threads you'd like to follow to your bookmarks~the button is under the first post in a thread (whether you post in one or not). Your Bookmark list is by your History
smiley

admin
admin's picture
Hat Tips: 2964
steeled wrote: Just an excuse

steeled wrote:

you can always add threads you'd like to follow to your bookmarks~the button is under the first post in a thread (whether you post in one or not). Your Bookmark list is by your History
smiley

Thanks for sharing with others steeled... hat tip to you!  ;-)

Site Administrator for TF Metals Report

ginger
ginger's picture
ColonelCooper, Thank You for

ColonelCooper, Thank You for that! ...That looks awesome ..and especially in a situation of possible inflation where everything will be rising in price. These could very well pay for themselves!

steeled, I have a dehydrator in my Watch List over at Ebay.. ...hoping to get it very soon. I think this is a TERRIFIC idea and I picked up some tips on TFs old blog way back from a poster... terri ..I believe. She had some good recommendations but I haven't been able to buy or do this yet. She also linked to a great YouTube reference on dehydrating. I'll see if I can find it and post it here. ...In the meanwhile.. if you do some dehydrating ...please let us know how it goes and what you think!

Eric O, I thought of you actually AWAY from this blog the other day re: the bacon. My daughter got a Whole Foods gift card (how many 14 year olds ask for WF gift cards for their birthdays..but that's another story..lol) and anyway.. my husband took her and they came home with CHOCOLATE BACON candy bars!!  ..I lol and thought of you. ....I took a small taste of one (sounds.. ...weird..so proceed cautiously was my thinking) ...and it was delicious! .....So.. you gotta get some chocolate/bacon bars to go in the bunker. cool

Eric Original
Eric Original's picture
Chocolate, bacon, what could

Chocolate, bacon, what could be bad?

This isn't a metals blog anymore. It's a right wing circle jerk, masquerading as a metals blog.

ginger
ginger's picture
Eric, This was

Eric, This was it:

http://www.stlbites.com/2007/10/03/bacon-bar-at-whole-foods/

WAY too expensive. ..but ..eh.. it was her money.. not mine. smiley

..Come to think of it .....I woudn't buy this. I would make it. I know you have plenty of bacon in the bunker and I'm ASSUMING that you also have chocolate stored because not to have would be sheer madness ..so ..just take some of the chocolate..melt it.. and mix it with some of the cooked bacon bits and voila.. chocolate bacon bars.

Full Disclosure: I won't personally be doing this as chocolate and bacon each are sheer food perfection in their respective original forms and neither one needs any enhancements. cheeky

steeled
steeled's picture
Ginger

I certainly will! I was searching last night and today and found some good sites. this one's got all kinds of info and recipes I want to start with... http://www.backpackingchef.com/index.html

another site with a wealth of info

http://www.dehydratorbook.com/how-to.html

including a whole jerky section Jerky Recipes and the Meat Dehydrator (hubby is all happy now and wanting to make jerky)

I have been following Turd's blog since he started, but I don't remember seeing a link for dehydrating video (that's not saying much~I have a great memory, just really short, lol). I couldn't wait until this forum started so threads like the canning, dehydrating, storage, prepping options, hebs,  etc. could get going. The canned bacon discussions and back 'n forth between you, Eric, and the others were hilarious at times, but very informative. I am the proverbial thread killer, so I stayed quiet. blush

Btw, I love ebay, but have you looked at any local thrift stores?  I just bought mine for $10 (new, unused, no manual but avail. online) at Goodwill. I see them there often. Also bought this Water Wise 1600 Non-Electric Water Distiller WITH the stainless steel collection flask (normally $79 alone) for $9--brand new, never used at the same place. There wasn't any instructions and was missing the tubing from the pot to the collection flask, so no one knew what it was. I was planning to adapt it to use as a distiller, so I did a search online and found what it was. Got the tubing and instructions from WaterWise online, but I was floored when I saw the retail price ($429)!!  surprise

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Topic locked
Syndicate contentComments for "Learning 2 Shoot & Can"