Union teachers caught in cheating racket!

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Shill
Shill's picture

Higher Ed...Ha ha ha GO TEAM!!!

http://www.ajc.com/news/investigation-into-aps-cheating-1001375.html

Edited by admin on 11/08/2014 - 06:05

And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers.

lilbromarky1
lilbromarky1's picture
Hat Tips: 2464
Its the american way.  I find

Its the american way.  I find it pretty funny.

Like my ideas? Check our blog at: http://backtobasicseconomics.blogspot.com/

zilverreiger
zilverreiger's picture
Hat Tips: 2845
this is even worse with

this is even worse with private sector schools

Dr. Sandi
Dr. Sandi's picture
Hat Tips: 368
Let's paint everything with the same brush just to look stupid

Shill wrote:

Nice way of slamming unions there. But I see no mention of teachers union responsibility in the article.

However, I notice that the principals, or, as they are sometimes called, MANAGEMENT, were in on it hip deep as well. And knowing from experience what a bunch of gutless wonders school principals are, we have to assume it goes back up to the superintendent and school board level.

Perhaps cheating isn't just a UNION issue? Maybe it's systemic.

I really tire of all this name calling bullshit here, there and everywhere.

We're riding this floater down together and we can piss on the people next to us, or we can figure out the REAL BASTARDS RESPONSIBLE INSTEAD.

I think knee-jerk blaming of "the other" is a bigger threat to our future than unions or conservatives or angry white men.

leadbrasssilver
leadbrasssilver's picture
Hat Tips: 194
Dr. Sandi wrote: Shill

Dr. Sandi wrote:

Shill wrote:

Nice way of slamming unions there. But I see no mention of teachers union responsibility in the article.

However, I notice that the principals, or, as they are sometimes called, MANAGEMENT, were in on it hip deep as well. And knowing from experience what a bunch of gutless wonders school principals are, we have to assume it goes back up to the superintendent and school board level.

Perhaps cheating isn't just a UNION issue? Maybe it's systemic.

I really tire of all this name calling bullshit here, there and everywhere.

We're riding this floater down together and we can piss on the people next to us, or we can figure out the REAL BASTARDS RESPONSIBLE INSTEAD.

I think knee-jerk blaming of "the other" is a bigger threat to our future than unions or conservatives or angry white men.

Perhaps the issue is more than just systemic, it is also societal.

Popular culture today places no value on education, it is most definitely not 'cool' to be smart. The formative years of todays youth are filled with models of success that are overtly stupid(paris hilton, jessica simpson etc). There is absolutely no peer pressure to be smart and work hard in school. Without the desire to learn, being forced to go to school is pointless. Children who do not want to be there serve as a disruption and a distraction from those who do. Unfortunately state and federal law says all children must go to school(school districts get paid by the head, you know). 

Enter standardized testing. Uh-oh. Teachers are judged by the results of a test that students are forced to take, at a place they don't want to be, doing something they don't want do(learn). WTF are teachers supposed to do? The standards have been lowered to the point that they are laughable and the teachers spend most of the year "teaching" the test. Just so the morons who are fucking it up for everybody else can pass and the feds keep the checks coming to the district. Let me be clear, I'm not excusing what the teachers and administrators did in Atlanta. They should be fired post haste.

Perhaps the solution lies in actually letting students who don't want to be there quit. Smaller class sizes made up of students who actually are interested in an education might create an environment that is conducive to a school as opposed to a daycare. 

All children have a right to an education, but perhaps those who don't want one should be allowed to opt out after say 6th or 8th grade.  You can't force learning, both parties have to work at it. Teachers and the system are part of the problem, but so are the students.

Long Bankers, Short Rope. I love it when a plan comes together.

So It Goes
So It Goes's picture
Hat Tips: 2496
Cheating

Cheating is simply wrong - it's a moral standard.  

Let us hope that these children who have been cheated out of an education by so many variables - uncaring parents, mal nourishment, hostile and threatening learning environment, unqualified teachers etc - can somehow transform to become functioning adults contributing positively to our society.

Is it even possible?

I'm thinking the best bet is to keep stacking.

Dyhalto
Dyhalto's picture
Hat Tips: 13
leadbrasssilver wrote:Perhaps

leadbrasssilver wrote:
Perhaps the solution lies in actually letting students who don't want to be there quit. Smaller class sizes made up of students who actually are interested in an education might create an environment that is conducive to a school as opposed to a daycare.

No, that's not the solution. Give kids the chance to drop out and play games all day, and even the best and brightest will take it (parents willing). Their lives will end up not going anywhere and they'll end up as minimum wage shelf stockers or criminals.

The real solution is more subliminal. Create a culture of Cool Smart Guy and Professional Older Guy. Remember G.I.Joe or Ghostbusters or any other 80s cartoon where the hero is in his 30s/40s and can do everything from inpromptu first aid to blowing up enemy command centers? Right now, western media glorifies the Powerful Executive, Bling-covered Bruthas, and Slutty Anorexic Girls. Modern cartoons depict teenagers taking on the world with nothing but attitude, and life seems to stop there. That's why kids are so stupid, and it's why the country's nationals are working in fast food and shelf stocking while all the younger skilled tradespeople can barely speak english.

mandyjackson
mandyjackson's picture
Hat Tips: 1
What a very interesting

What a very interesting conversation! Actually, this cheating scandal is an infallible truth nowadays. Are you familiar with Child Left Behind Act? I want to add something here. When President George W. Bush spearheaded and passed the No Child Left Behind Act, more weight was placed nationwide on standardized test scores, and incentive schemes were created for teachers to do well, including rewards for teachers with high-scoring classrooms and punishment for teachers with low-scoring classrooms. Since the enactment of that legislation, there have been a number of cheating scandals in public schools, the most recent being the Atlanta public school cheating scandal. Cheating was found to have occurred in 44 Atlanta schools. This involved 178 teachers and administrators, of whom 82 confessed. Moreover, evidence was recently uncovered that schools in Pennsylvania, many in the Philadelphia area, have also likely engaged in cheating on school tests in a similar manner. According to the New York Times, there is virtually no chance that cheating failed to occur. Check this out: Scandal unfurls as cheating discovered in Pennsylvania schools. The link will provide you with the details. Cheating is accruing and it deduces that proper action must be done because this must not be tolerated.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Topic locked
Syndicate contentComments for " Union teachers caught in cheating racket! "