Dual Citizenship for US citizens - Anyone have experience?

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
dmanson
dmanson's picture
Hat Tips: 590
Dual Citizenship for US citizens - Anyone have experience?

Okay Turd n' Pals:

I've been researching this for quite some time now. It appears that the only places for a US citizen to easily and legally obtain dual citizenship is Dominica, St.Kitts/Nevis and possibly Panama.

Please don't give me a bunch of "Love it or leave it". I am just interested in practical information about obtaining dual citizenship easily and legally without having to invest a fortune. I considered Dominica and can get a family of four for $100,000. That's pretty steep but would do my whole family. But I don't know how much I am a fan of Dominica.

Is anyone here a dual citizen of the US and another country and care to share with me how you did it? On a lot of the expat sites I get a lot of sales pitches by people selling services. I don't want that. I want advice and/or referrals to reputable companies or attorneys if you have them. PM me if you don't want to share publicly.

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to help.

Edited by admin on 11/08/2014 - 06:06
silverbleve
silverbleve's picture
Hat Tips: 2217
Yes

I'm surprised there is not more expertise in this area here in turdland. I have a friend who was born in Ireland to American parents and he is the only dual citizen I know. I do know you can live in brazil 6 months out of the year with only a tourist visa if that helps. I'm interested in this too, I often wonder if Americans will always be able to leave. Brazil has been a favorite of mine for a while.

dmanson
dmanson's picture
Thanks for the comment. I

Thanks for the comment. I thought I could apply for Italian citizenship through blood as my grandparents came over on a boat, but I just missed it. My mom was two years too young for me to qualify. I've looked into being able to qualify ethnically anywhere else and it isn't possible. I'm more looking to buy it at this point and am wondering if anyone here was done the same.

uptofreedom
uptofreedom's picture
Hat Tips: 561
dmanson wrote:Thanks for the

dmanson wrote:
Thanks for the comment. I thought I could apply for Italian citizenship through blood as my grandparents came over on a boat, but I just missed it. My mom was two years too young for me to qualify. I've looked into being able to qualify ethnically anywhere else and it isn't possible. I'm more looking to buy it at this point and am wondering if anyone here was done the same.

My mother is Maltese.  Was in the same boat as you, thought I'd be able to get a Maltese passport due to Maltese blood, but when I traveled there in 2003 and tried I found out only fathers counted...  Figured that was a dead end, but recently I found out that in 2007 Malta changed their policies to allow having a Maltese mother count the same as a Maltese father.  Haven't gotten the passport yet, but will on my next visit to Malta, prolly this xmas...

So, a dead end isn't permenant.  If it's been a while, check to see if the regs have changed.

jackmeoff
jackmeoff's picture
Hat Tips: 689
Depends.

I have dual but can qualify for Canadian also because my brother was born there and is living there so I can get sponsored. I dont really know if Canada is going to be an option because things are not much better up there either. I would look into Ecuador. You can get in as long as you can prove you have enough money to stay there. Cost of living is cheap and it is not that bad of a place. This is where I am looking at or back to the Dominican Republic as I was born there and still have family. Panama is not a bad place but the US dollar is used there so I dont know how bad it will get there if there is a dollar issue. The other thing I have thought of is to get a group and just buy a nice size boat. It is the last option but you can jump around from place to place. I guess money is everything as these things can get expensive. A nice boat will set you back about 200-500k

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-2Bd-Room-Condo-Water-Silverton-MotorYacht-46Ft-/220803567329?pt=Power_Motorboats&hash=item3368eb0ee1

It is like having a home but you can move this home from country to country. It is just my wife and I so with something like this we can go in with another couple. It is not the most practical thing but if I see things getting bad enough is is something that will get you out of the country quick and without checkpoints. Also most countries will let you stay for up to 6 months so you dont have to go home but you can always jump around from place to place. You can also look into citizen of the world.

http://www.worldservice.org/docpass.html

It wont let you in to every country but it can be a backup.

jackmeoff
jackmeoff's picture
wrong link for boat example

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/444-CMY-Carver-44-Motor-Yacht-2001-Great-Liveaboard-/230643302109?pt=Power_Motorboats&hash=item35b3697edd

Is the correct one. This one is salt water.

uptofreedom
uptofreedom's picture
Have seriously considered

Have seriously considered boat life and being a PT.   One thing that put me off was self defense... From what I hear it's not feasible to be armed while going from port to port due to the varying gun laws.  You know anything about that? 

Regarding boats, I was thinking of a sail boat with a small outboard. They're cheaper on fuel and cheaper to buy.  Just tough to run away from anybody... 

jackmeoff
jackmeoff's picture
@uptofreedom

Gun laws can be a problem but you will be in international waters for the most part. Also just find a place to hide them. An ar15 can be broken down into a small enough piece and can be assembled quickly. Most people will have some sort of gun on their boats and you can also do homework on gun laws per country. For the most part they will not mess with you and in most 3rd world countries they are just looking for bribes anyways.

I would not get a sailboat because of the time it takes to get around. Anything that has duel engines and yes some sort of dingy with powerful enough outboard. The price may be cheaper but it is also not as practical. If you need to outrun a storm you will want those twin 505's going full speed. The thing about living on a boat is that you can make due fairly well. You have swimming, fishing and can pick up radio and tv if done via satelite. You can keep enough food and water for about a month if you get a big enough boat and fishing is free so there is always some protein around.

For me it is not bad living. I use to go out with family for a week at a time when I was younger. You can live on beans and rice plus fish. Water storage is your biggest problem but most will hold 70-100 gallons and if used just for drinking and cooking you are good for a solid month. you can also get a desalination kit and that will get you water also. It is possible to stay on your boat for months at a time if you plan it right.

One last thing. Be familiar with boats and have minor mechanical knowledge. Most of these places will have mechanics but who knows what it will be like to get parts and you sure as hell dont want to get stranded.

jackmeoff
jackmeoff's picture
One more thing

It would be best to be with like minded people. What i mean is if you can be in a group of 3-5 boats all traveling together with common goals ( also finances ). If anything happens to one boat there are others to go for parts or help. This will also make pirates less likely to target you as most will be in 1 boat and small dingys. Safer in numbers on of off land.

dmanson
dmanson's picture
Boats

Yeah, boating is definitely an idea.  I know a guy who lives in the Caribbean and has a little place in Grenada, but he cruises over to any of the other islands whenever he wants.  These are all different countries but it's just so easy for someone on a boat.

That "World Passport" thing isn't going to fly anywhere from what I can tell.   What about Ecuador?  That wasn't much info.  Do you have a link ?

Anyone else out there buy Dual Citizenship or use investting in another country to get it?

jackmeoff
jackmeoff's picture
@damson

The world passport can work as it is accepted by a few countries already but it is still a good chance its a crap shoot. Still worth mentioning. As for Ecuador just look at the info for citizen or residency. Google will take you right to their site or other sites with requirements depending on what you want to do. There are too many different options on how you can qualify so I cant just give you a link as I dont know your finances or if you have a business or what type of degree you may have.

uptofreedom
uptofreedom's picture
jackmeoff wrote: Gun laws can

jackmeoff wrote:

Gun laws can be a problem but you will be in international waters for the most part. Also just find a place to hide them.

True about int'l waters mostly, but still I dunno if I'd risk hiding firearms.  I'd rather just avoid the countries that give the most hassle.  Problem is, that's most of 'em...

Quote:
I would not get a sailboat because of the time it takes to get around. Anything that has duel engines and yes some sort of dingy with powerful enough outboard. The price may be cheaper but it is also not as practical. If you need to outrun a storm you will want those twin 505's going full speed.

valid points, but the counter argument is that a) you can't run out of wind, and b) sailboats are cheap enough that you can get a big enough one to deal with (most) storms.  I dunno, I'm still not sold either way...

Quote:
It would be best to be with like minded people. What i mean is if you can be in a group of 3-5 boats all traveling together with common goals ( also finances ). If anything happens to one boat there are others to go for parts or help. This will also make pirates less likely to target you as most will be in 1 boat and small dingys. Safer in numbers on of off land.

++

The man who sto...
The man who stole a leopard's picture
Hat Tips: 1208
Duel Citizenship

Duel citizenship...? Want to increase your chances at getting a high level government position...

http://www.viewzone.com/dualcitizen.html

donpaulo
donpaulo's picture
Hat Tips: 3413
visas

citizenship is not something I am considering, but visas are ubiquitous. Results may vary...

I have a buddy who lives in Thailand and has for over 3 years now on tourist visas. He has to leave Thailand once every 6 months or so and re-enter the country. Not something I would plan on and he does admit its not the wisest strategy but he has never had a problem and actually has the least hassle entering from Myanmar.

I have permanent residence and keep a valid entry visa at all times.

I think the issue boils down to Passport status. When is your passport due to expire ? I just got a new one so have 10 years of relative "security".

Ecuador is an interesting option but you might want to do the diligence. For example the president of the country recently was hit by tear gas from the police, went out on the balcony and dared the citizens to shoot him down.

If I had to choose I would be looking into Singapore but thats just me. Malaysia is also a valid option. But I am not considering dual citizenships but rather a place to weather a storm for a fixed period.

best of luck in your search

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Topic locked
Syndicate contentComments for "Dual Citizenship for US citizens - Anyone have experience?"