Diamonds

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
Olivanders
Olivanders's picture
Hat Tips: 29
Diamonds

Does anybody think diamonds are also a valuable investment? I can see the difficulty in trading them/storing them (very small so easily lost) and also the problems in proving they are diamonds (whereas gold is relatively easy to test for).

I am just interested to know other peoples thoughts.

Edited by admin on 11/08/2014 - 06:11
jackmeoff
jackmeoff's picture
Hat Tips: 689
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Save your money. That is a market you have to know about if you want to mess with it. First of all the supply demand is controlled by Debeers and the supply is way more than demand so it is why they lock up 99% of what comes from the ground in vaults to keep the supply demand ratio they want. Just study a bit on Debeers and diamond vaults and you will understand. When things get bad there are going to be people talking about diamonds as a safe investment but it is a sucker play.

Unless you can drop XX of millions on 1 super rare piece then dont even think about it. Even then if the rest of the world is worried about where the money for the next meal is coming from I dont think too many people are worried about diamonds. Think of it this way. How many women had huge rocks on their fingers 100 years ago.

silverbleve
silverbleve's picture
Hat Tips: 2217
right on jackmeoff

diamonds may last forever, but you know what else lasts forever? black plastic trash bags.

just sayin.

silversalmon
silversalmon's picture
Hat Tips: 743
Poor Choice

Diamonds are worth learning about and not hard to understand. It's all about the 4 C's

Color

Carat

Cut

Clarity

The cut being the most important factor, not to be confused with the shape of the diamond. The cuts gives the diamond it's brilliance, scintillation, flash, and fire, in other worlds that fking sparkle or bling effect! Hearts and arrows they call them!

IT'S A POOR INVESTMENT CHOICE. It's like buying a car, as soon as you drive it off the lot, you depreciate the value tremendously.

Stick with buillion.

Olivanders wrote:

Does anybody think diamonds are also a valuable investment? I can see the difficulty in trading them/storing them (very small so easily lost) and also the problems in proving they are diamonds (whereas gold is relatively easy to test for).

I am just interested to know other peoples thoughts.

stalking wolf
stalking wolf's picture
Hat Tips: 580
Diamonds last forever?

I heard diamonds have a half life of around 5730 years, so much for forever, haha:)

"A building's form should follow it's function", Howard Roarke.

lottiedah
lottiedah's picture
Hat Tips: 3917
Diamonds

I don't know a lot about diamonds, but my pawn guy doesn't think much of them. He's more interested in the metal of a jewelry piece.

Most of the diamonds used in jewelry prep are not high quality (so I've heard), though you pay out the nose for them (retail). 

___

"I heard diamonds have a half life of around 5730 years, so much for forever, haha:)" ~stalkingwolf

hahaha, Thanks for that.

donpaulo
donpaulo's picture
Hat Tips: 3413
I don't find much utility in

I don't find much utility in diamonds other than my wife wants one :)

She got silver last christmas

stalking wolf
stalking wolf's picture
Hat Tips: 580
For real lottida

I paid 60% off for a 14k gold ruby ring with a flaw in it, I did not know what I was doin, you can get straight 24k hand hammered gold rings off ebay for the same price.

"A building's form should follow it's function", Howard Roarke.

asymptote
asymptote's picture
Hat Tips: 395
"The Diamond Invention"

I think this should be required reading for all Turds and zh'ers:

http://www.edwardjayepstein.com/diamond/prologue.htm

"The Diamond Invention"

It's interesting, relevant and absolutely will destroy the value of diamonds in your eyes. Must read. Sorry to say it, but diamonds have no value at all. If you want an alternative, go with something that is actually rare. 

Piter
Piter's picture
Hat Tips: 20
completely agree. That book

completely agree. That book is absolute must read for everyone.

Unfiliclenics
Unfiliclenics's picture
prototyping circuit board what is pcb

In overpopulated LDCs, large-hearted covey of sample essay people are underemployed or disguised unfruitful whose pocket-sized concord is zero or negligible. They can be transferred from agriculture to ask with pygmy or no lessening in agricultural output. Since the pocket-sized outcome of labor is higher in method than in agriculture, transferring such workers to the industrial sector come into gain ground the aggregate output. The lawsuit overpopulated LDCs vigorous out no surrogate but to industrialize.

stonsundish
stonsundish's picture
Hat Tips: 1
Prace wysokościowe

Nice post. I was checking constantly this blog and I am impressed! Extremely useful information particularly the last part :) Odśnieżanie I care for such info much. I was looking for this certain information for a very long time. Thank you and best of luck.

Pyrat
Pyrat's picture
Hat Tips: 293
De Beers Cartel

The story of diamonds is really amazing. The De Beers cartel has been described as the most successful cartel in history. It ends up that diamonds in Africa weren't nearly as rare as many people expected. The De Beers cartel used the South African government to control any new diamond mine found in South Africa. When diamonds were found elsewhere, we were shocked with those hysterical stories of "conflict" diamonds in order to keep the price high and new supply off the market.

Diamonds still are a way to transport a lot of value in a small space, but they are still so overpriced at retail, that I wouldn't seriously consider them.

SilverFume
SilverFume's picture
Hat Tips: 33
The "other" depression...

From what little I've read on the subject it seems to me that in the 30's diamonds lost 90% of their value. They are too hard to grade on the fly in an open air trade scenario. Size, color, cut, clarity are too much for the ave Joe to employ when it comes time to trade. Stick with the metals.

To this day it seems that on ave C(raigs)L(ist) diamonds (the ones I'm assuming are selling- ads gone after a day or two- not relisted for MONTHS) are fetching 20-25% of "appraised" value. Spend yer hard earned dough elsewhere unless it will get you some (nookie).

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Topic locked
Syndicate contentComments for "Diamonds"