Why Can't the GOP Get to Yes?

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
SushiSioux
SushiSioux's picture
Hat Tips: 2064
Why Can't the GOP Get to Yes?

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2011/07/why-cant-the-gop-get-to-yes/241437/

Edited by admin on 11/08/2014 - 06:23
ScottJ
ScottJ's picture
Hat Tips: 9168
Divide and Conquer

Divided we fall, United we Stand...

All I see in this article is the label and blame game...

The author is full of mainstream bias that we are living in a sustainable economy/system, and that our problems stem from "the bad guys" not wanting to "increase the credit limit" (imagine this logic on a personal scale... if you are in debt is the answer to take out more debt?).  The truth of the matter is that we are running out of time before all of our liabilities lead to a loss of confidence in the World Reserve Currency, the Federal Reserve Note.

Particularly, the ending was quite a slippery slope projecting his own insecurities as truth, when in fact this opinion is highly ignorant of many other factors.  Read this statement while removing your personal feeling... I hope you will see what I am trying to say.

If the GOP doesn't cut a deal sometime pretty soon, we're either going to default on our debt (hello, financial crisis, unemployment spike, substantial and immediate drop in GDP, followed by an angry mob of voters descending on their polling places with pitchforks), or we're going to cut a bunch of programs that beneficiaries are very attached to. (Hello, angry mob of seniors descending on their representatives with machetes.)  There is no deal that they can cut which does not include raising more revenue; the Democrats aren't going to be the only people offering compromise, and I don't blame them.

Now, maybe Brooks and I have this all wrong, and the GOP is just putting on one hell of a show for negotiating purposes.  I sure hope that's true.  But I very much fear it isn't.  (Source Here)
This is a giant theatrical event... and the play has an increased debt debt ceiling coming to a reality near you within the next several weeks.  The increased debt ceiling has a very good chance at spurring inflation to levels in which make today's prices look like a clearance sale...
--
I wrote an article addressing the real root of our problems, the currency we are using.
Let it be known that almost all problems we face today are symptoms of the core problem, a currency with no long-run sustainability (if not all problems). All of the problems that are debated today are rooted fundamentally through our illegitimate medium of exchange, the US Dollar (the Federal Reserve Note).  Since our currency is corrupt/manipulated at origination, we see manipulation and corruption “trickling down” and manifesting everywhere around us in our society.  If we were to not have a wealth-leeching currency, there would exist less opportunity for corruption within the system, that I am sure of.   (http://thehardrightedge.com/twilightzone/)
---

This is what an exponential growth graph looks like:

And this is what the US National Debt looks like....

--

ferretflat
ferretflat's picture
Hat Tips: 1122
Bad thing?

Is the Atlantic insinuating that descending on Politicians with machetes and pitchforks would be a bad thing?I always enjoy new and original thinking!

Tis no country for old men.

SushiSioux
SushiSioux's picture
Hat Tips: 2064
cruxified on a cross of currency

Scott - interesting perspective you wrote (link) .  whilst one attempts to look for the "root" causes. there is no need to place irrationally exhuberant  significance to one factor in the long list of weird things that are wrongo  in american policy making.   the debt limit is annoying politics and there is too much think inside the bun mentality here.  the GOP side however other than  Ron Paul)  appears to lack creative ideas or flexibility on how to resolve the issue.

Currency has nothing to do with decisions to initiate wars that never needed to be fought nor ridiculous run of the mill defense spending and  fantastic reluctance to create a uniform set of documentation for health care (like they have in other industries) or decisions to support broadband access in rural areas.  its like arguing all american foreign policy is influenced by one certain country in the middle east

root cause of american political problemos might be the preferential treatment the democrat and republican parties have written into electoral laws, ballot access,or the ridiculous system of majority rule that we have in congress. (versus proportional representation).  as you noted time will tell.

history will absolve me

rassillon
rassillon's picture
Hat Tips: 286
I have to agree with

I have to agree with Scott.

Currency is a means of exchanging productive output for something tangible. Finding out how to get access to others productive output is the goal of so many instead of relying on their own. I would have to say that somewhere at the bottom of each item SushiSoux mentioned is that desire.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Topic locked
Syndicate contentComments for "Why Can't the GOP Get to Yes?"