Post and Hat Tip Whores

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
mrgneiss
mrgneiss's picture
Hat Tips: 3440
Post and Hat Tip Whores

I would like to preface my remarks by saying Turd has done an amazing job and is doing a great service to many people and in no way are my comments intended to reflect poorly on his efforts or this site. 

I think the majority of posters here have things to say that are: useful, informative, witty, insightful; or are newbies/anyone asking good questions or friendly posters that just want to chat!  Great!  I'm not here to judge.

A few though just seem to post random nonsense/minutiae - ad infinitum.  I'm guilty of it sometimes, I'm sure many are - no prob - but when it happens dozens of times a day everyday sometimes you start to suspect someone is just trying to get their post count/hat tip count up to give themselves legitimacy.

I've seen it happen on other forums, for example on (name of a baby fox)co, there is one poster who just posts his trades for the day or other three or four word meaningless posts - all the time - and he has a high post count now so a lot of the newbies pay attention to what he says - and I think it is partly due to his high post count - and he jumps all over anyone who brings up JPM manipulation - he could be a paid troll.

I guess the best way is to look at the post/hat tip ratio, if it is high, then people don't appreciate/respect what they are posting.

I think a list of the worst offenders would also be useful - so we wouldn't have to waste our time clicking on their new posts or threads to check out their post/hat tip ratio.  Good idea or not necessary?

Edited by admin on 07/05/2011 - 21:26

Link to our updated penny stock list: https://www.kitcomm.com/showthread.php?t=68585
"The conscious and intelligent manipulation of the organized habits and opinions of the [public] is an important element in democratic society." Those who control this have the real power.

The man who sto...
The man who stole a leopard's picture
Hat Tips: 1208
Self tipping

Could self hat tipping be disabled?

admin
admin's picture
Hat Tips: 2964
The man who stole a leopard

The man who stole a leopard wrote:

Could self hat tipping be disabled?

http://www.tfmetalsreport.com/forum/hat-tips/87

Site Administrator for TF Metals Report

HappyNow
HappyNow's picture
Hat Tips: 1958
Agree self-tipping should be ended

Originally thought it wasn't a big deal because it's only 1 tip per post.

However there is at least one on the leaderboard who self tips every post.  And posts incredibly often, typically links to newsy bits and without adding much of their own editorial.   That really does add up to more than other quality posters who post frequently but less than say 10 a day and don't self tip.

Quick math.  This poster would have less than 200 tips if they didn't self-tip.  But they are solidly on the leaderboard...which takes 390 at this time.

I don't care if self-tippers make the leaderboard.   I don't care even if they top it.  I do care that it bumps other people off.

Swing trade indexed ETFs. Long physical gold, silver, and 1 miner.

Darth Smoker
Darth Smoker's picture
Hat Tips: 730
How about one hat tip per member per day?

like Stock Charts http://stockcharts.com/def/servlet/Favorites.CServlet?obj=public&cmd=show&disp=RED

mrgneiss
mrgneiss's picture
Hat Tips: 3440
Sorry............

Ya, I guess this issue has been pretty thoroughly covered in the other hat tip thread, now I'm guilty of wasting peoples time!  Sorry!

Overall, nothing will ever be perfect, and I think this site has been really well set-up, great synergy for such a new site that should only get better as time goes on!

Link to our updated penny stock list: https://www.kitcomm.com/showthread.php?t=68585
"The conscious and intelligent manipulation of the organized habits and opinions of the [public] is an important element in democratic society." Those who control this have the real power.

Gil
Gil's picture
Hat Tips: 1175
Ignorance was bliss for me

Ignorance was bliss for me with respect to hat tips. I really didn't pay that much attention to the hat tip leaderboard except to marvel at the large numbers. Until now, I was not aware that you could give yourself a tip of the hat.

The hat tip concept is great, but its usefulness as a tool of discovery with respect to a forum participant's credibility is now somewhat dubious.  For whatever the reasons, the world is chock full of people that are in desperate need of validation and apparently the hat tip leaderboard has been discovered by these people. Personally I don't plan to change the way that I participate on this great site, which includes not giving much credence to the hat tip leaderboard.

admin
admin's picture
HappyNow wrote: Quick math. 

HappyNow wrote:

Quick math.  This poster would have less than 200 tips if they didn't self-tip.  But they are solidly on the leaderboard...which takes 390 at this time.

Absolutely untrue. Even if self-tipping was removed, everyone on the leaderboard is well higher than 200 tips.

HappyNow
HappyNow's picture
Hat Tips: 1958
admin wrote:HappyNow

admin wrote:

HappyNow wrote:

Absolutely untrue. Even if self-tipping was removed, everyone on the leaderboard is well higher than 200 tips.

Oi Vey!   In that case it's even worse.  Someone has a superfan or an alter-ego.   This poster has no posts I have ever found that are not tipped at least once.    And an awful lot with just that 1 tip.  Having every single post tipped is just a bit beyond reasonable in my view, having so many that have just 1 tip is statisically an outlier I am sure.    Regret I assumed it was self-tipping I have no proof just empirical evidence based on finding threads with less than 2 views and no replies that always have the OP with 1 hat tip.

Thanks for sharing data to refute my assumption.

The real point, and I should have stayed with it instead of trying to play CSI.....

Would the leaderboard stay with the same names if self-tipping were removed or would there be at least 2 new names on there?

(and I don't care to know who, and I don't care if posters would move up or down the board, only who makes it to the board)

Swing trade indexed ETFs. Long physical gold, silver, and 1 miner.

The man who sto...
The man who stole a leopard's picture
Hat Tips: 1208
Self hat tipping.......

On the other hand, self-hat-tipping (SHT) should be allowed, it's the virtual equivalent to patting yourself on the back.

Dr Durden
Dr Durden's picture
Hat Tips: 5371
On any forum I've ever been

On any forum I've ever been on, the "rep system" (or hat tips - very clever Turd) has always lead to problems. Just kill it now before it's too late. Who honestly gives a shit? 

There are also trolls and post whores and whiny babies and all kinds of characters that come with the program. Just have to learn to get along, drop the sense of entitlement (ie you were here first so somehow it's more your forum than someone elses), and learn to ignore things you don't like. 

Got GIABO?

"It's called the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." ~George Carlin

Dr Durden
Dr Durden's picture
Hat Tips: 5371
Dr Durden wrote: On any forum

Dr Durden wrote:

On any forum I've ever been on, the "rep system" (or hat tips - very clever Turd) has always lead to problems. Just kill it now before it's too late. Who honestly gives a shit? 

There are also trolls and post whores and whiny babies and all kinds of characters that come with the program. Just have to learn to get along, drop the sense of entitlement (ie you were here first so somehow it's more your forum than someone elses), and learn to ignore things you don't like. 

I'm now quoting myself and double hat tipping myself just to be an ass. cheeky

Got GIABO?

"It's called the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." ~George Carlin

Gil
Gil's picture
Hat Tips: 1175
My sediments exactly

and a tip of the hat to ya.

admin
admin's picture
Dr Durden wrote: Dr Durden

Dr Durden wrote:

Dr Durden wrote:

I'm now quoting myself and double hat tipping myself just to be an ass. cheeky

We've discussed this ad nauseum here: http://www.tfmetalsreport.com/forum/hat-tips/87

I'm now going to lock this thread just as we did the previous one because discussion on this topic has been exhausted and we have clearly stated our position.  Thanks for everyone's thoughts.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Topic locked
Syndicate contentComments for "Post and Hat Tip Whores"