Australian/Chinese Bullion?

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Gold Member
Gold Member's picture
Hat Tips: 37
Australian/Chinese Bullion?

So far I've been accumulating ASE, Canadian Silver Maples & Austrian Philharmonics....depends on wherever the premium is the lowest. 

So...here's a question I hope some of the turdites would help me answer....does anyone hold Australian/Chinese bullion? e.g. Koala/Kookaburra/Pandas? If no, why not? 

If yes, why and .......are aussie/chinese bullion coins easy to trade? Just curious...

Thanks!

Edited by admin on 11/08/2014 - 06:09
Pablo
Pablo's picture
Hat Tips: 1053
No Pandas

I may buy one or two pandas in the future, but I'm steering clear for now because of the premium, and concerns about authenticity.

Gold Member
Gold Member's picture
Hat Tips: 37
Thanks Pablo......been

Thanks Pablo......been reading about possible fakes for some time....

No1Hunter
No1Hunter's picture
Hat Tips: 1324
Pablo wrote: I may buy one or

Pablo wrote:

I may buy one or two pandas in the future, but I'm steering clear for now because of the premium, and concerns about authenticity.

Yup, I am in the same boat as Pablo.  I sticking with ASE, Maples and US 90% for now.  I have some "name brand bullion" but not much.  I mainly watch for deals on ASE and pull the trigger.

RuNuts
RuNuts's picture
Hat Tips: 3562
Is it just me?

@No1Hunter, or does your sig pump of Mr. Rebates look like spam?
/just askin

Apples
Apples's picture
Hat Tips: 617
Pandas are not something I

Pandas are not something I would recommend casual ownership of.  Because of the preponderance of fakes out there, one has to really do the research and become an expert on the coin series.  Almost all of the major coins have fake versions, each with their own defects that you have to know and look for. 

Plus the premium per ounce is high depending on which years you collect.  Even many of the semi-modern ones.  I put my set of Pandas together back when silver was $20/oz and I was gritting my teeth paying $5 and $10 premiums per coin.  Since then, they've exploded skyward to the point I can't imagine making another set.

Don't get me wrong, they are (IMHO) the most beautifully crafted of the major bullion coins, but one has to really know what they are doing in order to buy and own them comfortably.  I had a dealer unknowingly try to sell me fakes even, they were so convincing.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Topic locked
Syndicate contentComments for "Australian/Chinese Bullion?"