The "See Google Map" Location service in the forums should be turned OFF by default

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
lilbromarky1
lilbromarky1's picture
Hat Tips: 2464
The "See Google Map" Location service in the forums should be turned OFF by default

Feature Modification Request:   The "See Google Map" Location service should be turned OFF by default.  In fact this service should not even exist on a forum like this.

Guys I was alarmed to see that my IP address was used to google map my location, especially since this feature was added without my knowledge.   This is NOT the type of forum where such a feature should exist and it definitely should be disabled by default.

There's a reason Turd wears sunglasses, a hat, and has an alias when posting.  He wants a certain level of privacy, no?  So the posters should be just as protected as he is.

I have to say this was very disappointing for me to see this turned on, especially considering how personal some of the posts and information is that people are sharing here.   Trust me when I say this moderators, noone in this forum would want their locations disclosed without first being asked.  I'm frankly very disappointed that this was even implemented.  Please use much caution when even considering giving away someone's geographic location.

To anyone reading this, you can turn the feature off by clicking "My Account" then clicking the checkbox for "Delete This Location"

--Mark

Like my ideas? Check our blog at: http://backtobasicseconomics.blogspot.com/

lilbromarky1
lilbromarky1's picture
Btw, I specifically listed my

Btw, I specifically listed my location as "USA" and left the other info blank because I want privacy.  Even with "USA" as my only location info, the google map knew exactly where I was.  Really not going to fly in a community of people who are trying to get off the grid and be off the big brother radar.  There may have been good intentions with this idea, allowing people to connect etc,  and I'm sorry if I misunderstood something here but I dont think that I did.

The man who sto...
The man who stole a leopard's picture
Hat Tips: 1208
Google offers opt-out feature...

admin
admin's picture
Hat Tips: 2964
Mark, I appreciate your

Mark, I appreciate your concerns, but your assumptions are incorrect.  The way in which you have described the functionality is not how it works.

lilbromarky1 wrote:

Feature Modification Request:   The "See Google Map" Location service should be turned OFF by default.  In fact this service should not even exist on a forum like this.

This functionality is disabled by default.  We do not require anyone to enter their location.  We also clearly state to the user at the time of registration that location information is optional.

lilbromarky1 wrote:

Guys I was alarmed to see that my IP address was used to google map my location, especially since this feature was added without my knowledge.   This is NOT the type of forum where such a feature should exist and it definitely should be disabled by default.

Absolutely false.  We do not use IP address to determine google map location.  The information passed to Google is a string containing the information you enter in the Location fields in your profile.  As an example: http://maps.google.com/?q=%2C+Austin%2C+TX%2C+%2C+us

There are several people on the site who have changed their "Location" in recent weeks to say "Zimbabwe" (I'm assuming they are making a statement about the US's money-printing policies).  If I click one of their links it takes me to a Google map centered on Zimbabwe, even though I know they are located in the US.

lilbromarky1 wrote:

I have to say this was very disappointing for me to see this turned on, especially considering how personal some of the posts and information is that people are sharing here.   Trust me when I say this moderators, noone in this forum would want their locations disclosed without first being asked.  I'm frankly very disappointed that this was even implemented.  Please use much caution when even considering giving away someone's geographic location.

Once again, this is not enabled by default, and we do not disclose a person's location.  If you enter your location as "Auckland, New Zealand", the link will take you to a map of Auckland regardless of where you are located.

Site Administrator for TF Metals Report

admin
admin's picture
lilbromarky1 wrote: Btw, I

lilbromarky1 wrote:

Btw, I specifically listed my location as "USA" and left the other info blank because I want privacy.  Even with "USA" as my only location info, the google map knew exactly where I was.

Mark, if this happened, it is not from us.  Having only "United States" as your location info would put you right in the center of the country.

HappyNow
HappyNow's picture
Hat Tips: 1958
lilbromarky1 try mine

Hi,

I really do live in Canada so click on mine and tell me where it says I live (just name the nearest city to the pointer).

Let me know what you get and I'll tell you if it is even close.

I don't trust checking my own by clicking in case there is some function that is using my IP with the google in the same way that I get ads for "local singles".

Swing trade indexed ETFs. Long physical gold, silver, and 1 miner.

lilbromarky1
lilbromarky1's picture
Happy,Your link opened up

Happy,

Your link opened up east of Fresno and Sanger. 

The reason I posted this is because I was on my work laptop, vpn'ed in yesterday doing work from home and when I clicked my own link to test it, it lauched me to a map centered in the town that I work from, about an hour from my house.  I was visibly intoxicated yesterday when I posted this but the map did open up to the town that I worked in.  The only thing I can figure is that the location that I entered when I registered the first day the site was open may have fed a search string that was invalid so the map defaulted to a location that I used to get google driving directions from previously. 

In this case, someone else clicking my link would have gotten a different result. 

Ugh I'm sorry for this post and especially my tone.  I should have used better judgement.  Sorry admins/turd. 

We can just delete the thread I dont want to alarm anyone else.

--Mark

admin
admin's picture
HappyNow wrote:I really do

HappyNow wrote:

I really do live in Canada so click on mine and tell me where it says I live (just name the nearest city to the pointer).

lilbromarky1 wrote:

Happy,

Your link opened up east of Fresno and Sanger.

Google is not very good at handling abbreviated country codes on their own.  In this case the country code for Canada is "CA", which also happens to be the abbreviation for California.  By default, Google Maps shows a pushpin centered on California (around Fresno, CA), when clicking on a link that is only for Canada.

admin
admin's picture
lilbromarky1 wrote: I was

lilbromarky1 wrote:

I was visibly intoxicated yesterday

This is all we needed to know.  Would have been acceptable to end your comment after this phrase.  ;-)

No worries, we'll leave the thread here in case someone has a question about it in the future.

mastercylinder
mastercylinder's picture
Hat Tips: 141
how far the mighty

By default, Google Maps shows a pushpin centered on California (around Fresno, CA), when clicking on a link that is only for Canada.

A situation best described by the term what used to be known as a "freudian slip"

Canada, a once proud and independent country, born out of a successful repelling of jingoist warmongerin imperialists types(see: War of 1812) is a sad reminder of what happens when one gets too close to the center of evil.  The current 'official' opposition can't even find the balls to question why their cuntry*nonsic* needs play fetchncarry for a terrorist conglomeration known by the acronym "NATO".  

Now with the integrated military command, and the ability to exchange high rankin perverts instantly to where they be best deployed(Franklin Nebraska and\or Trenton Ontario) to terrorize the surviving populations into submission, the 'realtime' madness of a country which willingly gave up it's hard won heritage of honour for a mess of daysold pottage\poutine is clear for all with eyes to see with...however few they be! 

Imagine givin up this 

for

that! 

How far we have fallen in just one generation. July 1st was a national holiday too!...what's left to celebrate? 

‘I turned their right, pierced their centre, broke them everywhere; the day was mine, and yet they did not know it and would not run.’ Marchal Soult, (despatches to Napoleon)regarding the 57th Middlesex Regiment @ the Battle of Albuera 16 May 1811

lilbromarky1
lilbromarky1's picture
admin wrote: lilbromarky1

admin wrote:

lilbromarky1 wrote:

I was visibly intoxicated yesterday

This is all we needed to know.  Would have been acceptable to end your comment after this phrase.  ;-)

No worries, we'll leave the thread here in case someone has a question about it in the future.

Okay sorry again :)  Enjoy your holiday week

HappyNow
HappyNow's picture
OK well

Interesting.

When

I click on my own avatar's Google location it does in fact show a push pin pretty near my town but only for as long as it takes the screen to refresh once and then it shows the pushpin in the middle of Canada from east to west, but close to the southern border with the USA. 

Thanks for the observation lilbromarky1.   I surely do not live near California. And it does show that Google is incorporating things it knows about my computer habits when it does the mapping magic.  Otherwise you and I should not get different results.

----------------------------------------------------------

mastercylinder - let's remember that when the USA went to war with Iraq Canada did NOT participate at the risk of being smeared like France was.   Yes that's right we didn't buy into the the whole "there's WMD's in them thar hills" and we didn't buckle to the pressure.   That took some guts.  Not saying we're completely independent just throwing a little water on your flames.   No idea the relevance to this thread but if you want to throw hyperbole I'll dabble.

lilbromarky1
lilbromarky1's picture
HappyNow

HappyNow wrote:

Interesting.

When

I click on my own avatar's Google location it does in fact show a push pin pretty near my town but only for as long as it takes the screen to refresh once and then it shows the pushpin in the middle of Canada from east to west, but close to the southern border with the USA. 

Thanks for the observation lilbromarky1.   I surely do not live near California. And it does show that Google is incorporating things it knows about my computer habits when it does the mapping magic.  Otherwise you and I should not get different results. 

So you're saying that I wasnt crazy yesterday and I may have seen my own location by accident, and then jumped to conclusions like a total drunken nutjob?

HappyNow
HappyNow's picture
drunken nutjob?

You might be crazy and have been acting like a drunken nutjob for all I know ;) It is clear that there is more to the google locater than meets the sober eye. There isn't enough to make me paranoid in the least though and if you want to blame the drinks for paranoia I'd believe it. Actually, if I'd been drinking I would have been upset to see the first screen with the pin near my location even though it quickly refreshes to another location.

Incidentally I just clicked on yours.  It shows me a map stretching from the arctic circle to mid-south america and from Japan to Europe.  

lilbromarky1
lilbromarky1's picture
HappyNow wrote: You might be

HappyNow wrote:

You might be crazy and have been acting like a drunken nutjob for all I know ;) It is clear that there is more to the google locater than meets the sober eye. There isn't enough to make me paranoid in the least though and if you want to blame the drinks for paranoia I'd believe it. Actually, if I'd been drinking I would have been upset to see the first screen with the pin near my location even though it quickly refreshes to another location.

Incidentally I just clicked on yours.  It shows me a map stretching from the arctic circle to mid-south america and from Japan to Europe.  

LOL thanks for the feedback.  I did go totally paranoid.  I was momentarily thinking turd's forum was a CIA project to lure us all into one place so they could send the agents in black out to smack us down! 

Then I sobered up this morning and did a face-palm when read what I wrote.  Ugh :)

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Syndicate contentComments for "The "See Google Map" Location service in the forums should be turned OFF by default"