Who's into foreign coins?

31 posts / 0 new
Last post
Dr Durden
Dr Durden's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/14/2011
Hat Tips: 5371
Posts: 730
Who's into foreign coins?

I'm talking coins minted as currency other than the US Mint. I'm talking Maple Leaf, Sovereign, Krugerrand, Peso, Philharmonic, etc.

Right now I own only American Eagles, a few commemorative US coins and a Krugerrand.

I'd like to diversify a little more and am looking for anything that's relatively low premium and perhaps out of favor (ie not in huge demand like the 2011 Eagles). No interest in numismatics, just raw yellow metal.

Lay'em on me!

Edited by admin on 11/08/2014 - 06:31

__________________

Got GIABO?

"It's called the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." ~George Carlin

Eric Original
Eric Original's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/14/2011
Posts: 4235
raw yellow metal

I really like Sovereigns, but you have to be picky and choosy to get some at low premiums these days.  For raw value I'd take a look at Mexican gold.  50 Peso especially, but also 20 and 10 Peso.  Also, the Austrian 100 Corona coins go pretty cheap sometimes.  

I have quite a few French and Swiss 20 Francs as well but the premiums seem higher lately.

http://www.providentmetals.com/mex-50-peso-gold.html

__________________

This isn't a metals blog anymore. It's a right wing circle jerk, masquerading as a metals blog.

silversalmon
silversalmon's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/15/2011
Hat Tips: 743
Posts: 74
my two francs!

Eric already gave you the low down.

I would add that Mexican Peso and Austrian Coronas take turns on giving you the biggest bang for your buck. The Mexican Peso is over 1 ounce, and a huge coin, a man's coin.

On the other hand, the Austrian Corona is just slightly under an ounce. Both coins have foreign writing on them, Spanish being the easiest to understand. I wouldn't try to unload these coins on any rubes. When you sell, sell to dealers in the know. Truth be told, these coins are well known and recognized throughout the industry, so no problems there.

I like the French 20 francs and Swiss helveta 20 francs, both are about a 1/5 of an ounce, so 5 get you almost a full ounce of gold, cheapest fractionals you'll find generally speaking.

The French 20 franc Gold Lucky Angel is also about a 1/5 of an ounce, and a nice variation of the French 20 rooster. 

The Belgians make a 20 franc too, about 1/5 of an ounce, but are not as cheap as the others, in my experience. Maybe you can find some cheaps one s out there.

The Italian 20 lire gold coins are the same as the other 20 type coins above, about 1/5 of an ounce.

The German 20 marks are about .2304 under a 1/4 ounce

The gold south African 2 rand is a play on the British sovereign coming in at just under an 1/4 ounce of gold. CHEAP TOO! get some!

I would stick with the Mexican peso, Austrian corona. French and swiss 20 francs, and maybe a German franc or two just for fun.  Oh hell, get a French Angel too!  Fkck be hell get some Rands too! They 're made by the same damn mint that puts out full ounce Krugerrands, hence the name Rands. try to buy the the most recognizable stuff on the market.

Eric Original
Eric Original's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/14/2011
Posts: 4235
I'm too lazy

Silversalmon,

Yup, I've got some Belgian and Italian ones too.  All .1867 oz just like the French and Swiss.  I was just too lazy to type it all out!

oh yeah, got some German 20 Marks  too...  cool

__________________

This isn't a metals blog anymore. It's a right wing circle jerk, masquerading as a metals blog.

silversalmon
silversalmon's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/15/2011
Hat Tips: 743
Posts: 74
Eric Original

Eric Original wrote:

Silversalmon,

Yup, I've got some Belgian and Italian ones too.  All .1867 oz just like the French and Swiss.  I was just too lazy to type it all out!

oh yeah, got some German 20 Marks  too...  cool

Eric, I'll NEVER believe you again. When you say you're nowhere near 3000 ounces! And got damn it, get some  2 rands.

Dr Durden
Dr Durden's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/14/2011
Hat Tips: 5371
Posts: 730
Thanks for the detailed

Thanks for the detailed rundown, silversalmon...just what I needed.

I originally bought a Krugerrand because I learned they were the most widely held gold bullion in the world (not sure if they still are).

Just in my searching in my usual spots, it seems the Philharmonic and the Krugerrand are neck and neck for the lowest premium rounds these days. This at Provident, Bullion Direct, Gainesville and a few others. Any suggestions as to other stores to check out?

__________________

Got GIABO?

"It's called the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." ~George Carlin

Klingon
Klingon's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/14/2011
Hat Tips: 741
Posts: 95
I have Krugerands because

I have Krugerands because they are the most recognized world-wide. But most of my stash are Maple Leafs. I like that they are pure gold and the fact that Canada is close by in case I need to take some out of the country.

I buy almost exclusively from Gainesville. The prices currently:

Krug   1533

Kangaroo 1533

Maple Leaf 1545

Austrian Phils 1553

So my ML are only ~$10 more than the cheapest. When gold goes to $3,000, that $10 won't be so important.

silversalmon
silversalmon's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/15/2011
Hat Tips: 743
Posts: 74
Dr Durden wrote: Thanks for

Dr Durden wrote:

Thanks for the detailed rundown, silversalmon...just what I needed.

I originally bought a Krugerrand because I learned they were the most widely held gold bullion in the world (not sure if they still are).

Just in my searching in my usual spots, it seems the Philharmonic and the Krugerrand are neck and neck for the lowest premium rounds these days. This at Provident, Bullion Direct, Gainesville and a few others. Any suggestions as to other stores to check out?

Krugs are definitely the mostly widely held, but if you're American they're reportable to the IRS when you sell more than 25 I think. Just a FYI. I use APEX, although they are a little more expensive I've used them so much, I'm a preferred customer, and I only pay 10 for shipping now, so it reduces my overall costs, when weighed against other dealers. Tulving is the cheapest dealer around, if you can deal with the 1980's website and handle the minimums. You won't find cheaper anywhere. Maybe it's worth saving up cash just to buy there, when the market is going sideways for a while, like now.

silversalmon
silversalmon's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/15/2011
Hat Tips: 743
Posts: 74
Klingon wrote:I have

Klingon wrote:

I have Krugerands because they are the most recognized world-wide. But most of my stash are Maple Leafs. I like that they are pure gold and the fact that Canada is close by in case I need to take some out of the country.

I buy almost exclusively from Gainesville. The prices currently:

Krug   1533

Kangaroo 1533

Maple Leaf 1545

Austrian Phils 1553

So my ML are only ~$10 more than the cheapest. When gold goes to $3,000, that $10 won't be so important.

If you're thinking about going to Canada, you better stick with Maples and all other 24 kt buillion coins. Anything you bring into the country, not 24 kt is subject to taxation in Canada. Just a FYI. Look into that, and make appropriate decisons.

Dr Durden
Dr Durden's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/14/2011
Hat Tips: 5371
Posts: 730
Well, when the time comes it

Well, when the time comes it looks like my next gold dig will be to man up to a 50 Peso. While not all that pretty, they're a smoking good value. And who knows, maybe if the global financial crumbling reaches deep into the Jalisco region, I could buy me a steak in a tequila distillery. 

__________________

Got GIABO?

"It's called the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." ~George Carlin

Eric Original
Eric Original's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/14/2011
Posts: 4235
50 Peso

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but the "Big 50" is definitely worth getting one or two just to experience the sheer heft of the damn things.  Huge!

__________________

This isn't a metals blog anymore. It's a right wing circle jerk, masquerading as a metals blog.

¤
¤'s picture
Offline
Joined: 06/14/2011
Hat Tips: 92321
Posts: 18245
My Big 50

As you may remember Eric O', I picked up one of those babies from APMEX and it is truly a thing to hold and look at. It's big and beautiful.

I actually just went and got it out and am holding it at the moment.

It says 1821-1947.

37.5 Gr  

ORO PURO   It's in really great shape. Very clean but not cleaned, you can tell. It is now getting a slight patina to it in a very unique way. It's very slight, as I've handled it, which is ok since it wasn't graded. But it was in really good shape. The design going all the way around the face and backside are very crisp to the point f catching my finger skin.

The motto 'INDEPENDCIA Y LIBERTAD" is very crisp also.

It's a beauty in every way and I'm glad I bought it. It's in great shape but not in such great shape that it might be re-struck or cleaned or polished etc.

I highly recommend one and APMEX did not disappoint me.

__________________

An epic lack of foresight, accuracy and humility over 3 1/2 years ago. Once a pumper, always a pumper!
http://www.tfmetalsreport.com/comment/170246#comment-170246

Eric Original
Eric Original's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/14/2011
Posts: 4235
DPH

Yeah, I remember.  You, me, and xty all got one around the same time.  No disappointment here either.yes

__________________

This isn't a metals blog anymore. It's a right wing circle jerk, masquerading as a metals blog.

loriewil
loriewil's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/07/2011
Hat Tips: 277
Posts: 23
What about Canada's $1,000,000 99.99999% pure gold coin?
Only five 100 kg. Canadian Gold Maple Leaf $1,000,000 coins were minted with a currently unmatched .99999 purity (99.99999% pure). The weight of 100 troy kilos, or 3,215 ozt., puts the value of the coin at $4,822.50 at the prevailing price for gold of approximately $1,500/ozt.. I was fortunate enough to actually touch and have my picture taken with this monster of a coin which is 50 cm in diameter and weighs 220 pounds... and I complain about having too many Loonies and Toonies in my pocket (you lucky Americans with your 1 dollar bills)!
 
World's First 100-kg, .99999% Pure Gold Bullion Coin
MunKNEE.com Editor-in-Chief Lorimer Wilson with the world's first 100-kg, 99999 pure gold bullion coin with a $1 million face value. It was produced by The Royal Canadian Mint.

I have just had an article posted extensively on the internet on the silver coins of the U.S. and Canada

http://www.munknee.com/2011/07/new-series-of-canadian-american-silver-bullion-coins-coming-to-market/

and will be following up with an article on the gold bullion coins of the U.S. and Canada next week. Keep posted.

Juan Moment
Juan Moment's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/14/2011
Hat Tips: 909
Posts: 85
1915 Austrian 1 Ducat Gold coins

When I bought my first one a few months back it was love at first sight. Since then I got my eyes on collecting a dozen or so 1915 Austrian 1 Ducat Gold coins. One can get them here in Australia on average between 15 and 25% over spot.

3.5 gram coin with a 986 purity, makes it 0.11 oz of "better to have than not" shiny gold.

Three of them coming up on ebay this week, might just get lucky and score one or two.

Edit: Just found this vid on the coin.

mdcromer
mdcromer's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/14/2011
Hat Tips: 246
Posts: 79
Nice coins

I find on ebay I can generally get the foreign 1/5 to 1/4 oz coins pretty close to spot if I only "snipe" the best deals.

The smaller fractionals seem to have a really big premium that I'm not comfortable paying, as do modern fractionals

Dr Durden
Dr Durden's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/14/2011
Hat Tips: 5371
Posts: 730
Well I managed to "steal" a

Well I managed to "steal" a Chinese 100 Yuan Panda when apparently everyone was watching Owebummer spew his usual two-faced nonsense. 

I've lost probably 5 bids on 50 Peso's but am still in the hunt. I have my price targets and don't get ahead of myself and try to be a winner. It's a great feeling though to make someone pay $25 more than it's really worth at the time....hehe...

Also been hunting for some Austrian 4 Ducat's, too. 

Any other coins that seem to be out of favor currently but will hold their value over time? I watch this like a hawk: http://www.24hgold.com/english/buy_sell_gold_coins.aspx?co_id=0

__________________

Got GIABO?

"It's called the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." ~George Carlin

Yesac13
Yesac13's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/28/2011
Hat Tips: 90
Posts: 1
Just an interesting note: I

Just an interesting note:

I happen to have a nice 50 peso gold coin.  Its a bit reddish due to the 10% copper content.  It's nice.  I then added a Philharmonic to my collection.  I was shocked to find out that both was the same diameter.  Well, the 50 peso gold coin is 37.1 mm while the Philharmonic was 37 mm diameter.  Real close.  After some research, it turns out that the Austrian or Hungarian 100 Corona happens to be 37.1mm.  It looks like Mexico copied the Corona's diameter for the 50 peso.   The Corona was a very common gold coin in its circulating day. The Philharmonic is Austrian so they stuck to 37mm due to "tradition".  The Philharmonic is 99.99 pure gold so it will end up being the thinnest of the three.  

So...  This makes stacking convenient.  Buy Mexican 50 peso coins, Philharmonics, and Coronas all together so to stack easily in containers!  I plan to buy a Corona one day just for laughs.  Its cheap premium-wise.  Note that dealers often make no distinction between Austrian and Hungarian Coronas.  You buy a Corona and it may be either one.  Same value anyway.  

Other coins were all over the map regarding diameters.  If anyone knows of coins that share common diameters, let me know. 

I also have the 20 peso gold coins from Mexico and I like the Aztec Calendar (the very one saying 2012 is the end of the world) on it.  Mexican gold pesos are cheap but you will get less when you sell them.  One other thing to note is that some countries charge tax on gold less than 99.99 pure.  Mexico is one of them, I believe (not certain). 

Eric Original
Eric Original's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/14/2011
Posts: 4235
I noticed that too

Yes, I also had noticed that my Mex 50 Peso and my Austria 100 Corona had the same diameter.  The Mex is much thicker though of course.  Convenient for stacking!  :D

__________________

This isn't a metals blog anymore. It's a right wing circle jerk, masquerading as a metals blog.

Dr Durden
Dr Durden's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/14/2011
Hat Tips: 5371
Posts: 730
Interesting gold trivia,

Interesting gold trivia, Yesac. I don't really stack, though...it's more like a pile. blush

__________________

Got GIABO?

"It's called the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." ~George Carlin

Dr Durden
Dr Durden's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/14/2011
Hat Tips: 5371
Posts: 730
Sometimes you get lucky and

Sometimes you get lucky and the Universe drops a gem in your lap. I had to buck the trend and stick to the homeland on this one, you know the good ole US of A.

Picked up a fairly rare ANACS MS70 $50 Eagle for few bucks over spot net. 

Also managed to score an ok 100 Corona for $50 under spot net.

The Mrs will kill me, but not in 5 years when we actually have "money" and can't understand what the F happened. I'll be doing the "told ya so" dance. 

So I'm pretty set for awhile. Watching $2000 in the next year for a possible blow off top and regression back to the 150 or 200MA. Run baby, run!

__________________

Got GIABO?

"It's called the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." ~George Carlin

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Topic locked
Syndicate contentComments for "Who's into foreign coins?"