The Food Stamp Song: This is Why This Country is in Trouble

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
Jake
Jake's picture
Hat Tips: 7806
The Food Stamp Song: This is Why This Country is in Trouble

How Can Anyone Expect These People to Get a Job and Contribute to Society When They've Become This Dependent? Answer: We Can't and They Won't. Result: Collapse.

Edited by admin on 11/08/2014 - 06:06

Your Silver--I Want to Buy it! Sell Me Your Silver!

SushiSioux
SushiSioux's picture
Hat Tips: 2064
""these people"" are veterans, your meighbors and mine

the song probably makes the singers money so more power to them.

many of  "these people"" receiving food stamps are veterans and neighbors of yours and mine. if you weren't insinuating "these people" in the """i-have-my-head-up-my-ass kind of-way"""  i apologize but im stupid and it looks like you were regurgitating  Lee Atwater's talking points.

I’d like to bring you a story about Food Stamps, and what our veterans are REALLY going through.

Coincidence? 

The More Americans That Go On Food Stamps The More Money JP Morgan Makes

you might not like the music but musicians frequently take creative license to events  in their lives/communities.

joseph f smith
joseph f smith's picture
Hat Tips: 34
Rap singers

Could someone please explain to me why rap singers have to hold onto their penis and manipulate it in order to "sing?"  Never saw Nat Cole, Louie Armstrong or Stevie Wonder do that, but they weren't rappers.  Perhaps it is a necessity to free up your mind enough to "sing" rap and that is why there are so few female rap singers.

Spinny
Spinny's picture
Hat Tips: 547
Joe I think you're on to

Joe I think you're on to something there. :)

What is the biggest public fallacy about market behavior? That markets are supposed to make sense. ~ Richard Dennis

Full Bell Lines
Full Bell Lines's picture
Hat Tips: 70
Maybe a contrarian view here,

Maybe a contrarian view here, but something in that video makes me smell 'satire.'  I am NOT a rap/hip hop fan, but that sure looks like a backhanded stab at the 'EBT' culture...

jmho.

LVStrapped
LVStrapped's picture
Hat Tips: 312
Watching that song makes me

Watching that song makes me sick.  People think that they are entitled to that shit, my family works hard and gets rewarded because of hard work.  Besides I'd rather be walking with angles then take candy from strangers.     

"Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore."

jackmeoff
jackmeoff's picture
Hat Tips: 689
AND WHEN THE MONEY RUNS OUT YOU WILL NEED THIS.

HiHo Silver
HiHo Silver's picture
Hat Tips: 80
And so you see that there are

And so you see that there are more citizens and illegals then ever before on EBT, WIC etc and you're proud?  What right do they have to my work product? Why do they get to steal food and means from my family?    How much do YOU donate to the government over your taxes to "Chip in"?

The end of the Savior State is at hand.  What will these dependents on other's paychecks do then?  You may have noticed there is some inflation in food lately. Yet the CPI, the standard for any increases in those payments, is near nil.  How is that fair of the their Savior State to treat them in such a shameful and dishonest way?

If the system collapses, what will these people do for food?  They have lost all semblance of self-reliance. Your kind and good hearted yet lying government has made them dependent, some for generations, for the scraps that fall from Barack's table.  The Progressives have made these people slaves, yet unlike the plantation slave of old, they rejoice in the "Massa" that done sold them down the river for 4 more years of power.  And you are fine with it.  Long live freedom, just not with it entrusted to you.

stalking wolf
stalking wolf's picture
Hat Tips: 580
food stamps

Correct me if i'm mistaken, but I heard that all the grains are subsidized through taxes.

In 2006 I think Michal Pollen said it costs about $0.6 CENTS to produce a box(coffin) of cereal.

We don't have to get upset over peasant food, it keeps them happy and out of our way.  there's to many pan handlers as it is, at least in my territory.

"A building's form should follow it's function", Howard Roarke.

Th3tr3nt
Th3tr3nt's picture
Hat Tips: 22
I understand your concern Jake

Hello, I am Trent Owens the Creator of this "Food Stamp" Video. This was originally made for a college English project (satire) based on the abuse of Food Stamps. We are all privileged African American males who just took the extra step for our project. We do not even own food stamp cards, its all edited. I do not appreciate you referring to us as "these people" . We obviously have a sense of unlike yourself.

Yes there is a tremendous deal of EBT/WIC abuse in the states but there is no need for bashing. But I DO understand your concern and I THANK you for getting me over 1,000 view within a few days.

Oh and we received an "A" if any of you are wondering. :)

154_silver
154_silver's picture
Hat Tips: 1716
heya Th3tr3nt

I didn't see this thread originally, just picked up your reply in the "recent comments" box while skimming through content. . . and wanted to log in to "hat tip" your post - it's always good to hear from artists/creators as to their intent, and for what it's worth, the satire was evident to me while watching - lampoon/parody is an ageless way to make a point, well done.

As for the "these guys" commentary - anyone who thinks individuals of any flavour  at the lower end of the financial spectrum are responsible for "collapse" or are living off your paycheck, etc. - seriously, are you new here?  This is a banking/financial class heist of epic proportions, has been going on since before you or your "family" was born - stop with the lateral finger-pointing, it's non-sense!

And hey "joseph f smith" - to answer your question here's another - why do heavy metal guitarists play at crotch level?  most likely for the same reason. . .*wink*

lilbromarky1
lilbromarky1's picture
Hat Tips: 2464
The music video regarding EBT

The music video regarding EBT is a satire.  First off the rhymes dont rhyme, on purpose.  Secondly no person I dont care how poor would make a video about Ramen noodles unless they were making a mockery of the system.  Third, they had the money to shoot an amateur level music video, construct a basic beat with a computer most likely, and autotune the guy's voices.  These guys are making a statement against the system.

Like my ideas? Check our blog at: http://backtobasicseconomics.blogspot.com/

lilbromarky1
lilbromarky1's picture
Hat Tips: 2464
This guy should be taken

This guy should be taken seriously:

Like my ideas? Check our blog at: http://backtobasicseconomics.blogspot.com/

Beez
Beez's picture
Hat Tips: 472
These people = some people

My neighbor's dad, 84, retired, no kids, worked his whole life, lost the last of his savings in the recent crash, no increase in his ss payment this year, just applied for food stamps. He will be getting $16 a month. What is sad is that he is really really excited about this and talks about how he will let it build up for 4 months then have $50 for a big shopping spree.

(I didn't watch the video)

Beez

HoggetowneHoedown
HoggetowneHoedown's picture
Hat Tips: 145
What else is there to do? I don't know...I don't know!

Thanks for the video Jake.  Let me preface everything I am going to say with I love this video.  While there are going to be people who use EBT legitimately for the reasons it is provided, there are many who abuse the system or otherwise use it but have no conscience of how it works nor how it is funded.  I believe the video to be a satirical portrayal of a very realisitic mentality held by many in the US. 

1) The expression of desperation:  "What else is there to do.  I don't know".  This is the mentality that the federal government and society has forced down the throats of certain impressionable segments of the population.  You can't do anything.  You can't accomplish anything.  Depend on us.  We'll make it all better.  Where is the sense of empowerment to stand up for oneself? To change? To break the cycle?

2) "My whole generation was raised on EBT so what makes you think it's gonna change when it comes to me?"  Really?  Hey if you say it's not going to change for you then I don't believe it will change for you either.  Just don't be pissed when people call you out on that.  I think the students in the video are in a way calling for that change but also asking what's it going to take and where's it going to come from.  If they aren't, then they should be.

3) Obama is the reason?  Again, really?  Do people honestly believe he's taking the money out of his pocket or that he is signing the check?  This could explain his popularity among certain segments of the population despite how misguided this point of view really is.

4)"....all this free food"."...shoppin' cart filled don't have to pay".  This is the one that pisses me off the most.  Well, we all know that it most certainly is not free and someone has to pay.  Oh, and by the way.  Your welcome! 

5)  In the video they are using the EBT money to purchase all of this junk food.  Come on guys!  Can't you put some fresh vegetables or some salmon filets in the cart instead of funyuns, doritos, ramen noodles, koolaid and a 12 pack of 7-up?  If we are to control the obesity problem in this country, we could start by requiring a list specific foods only that can be purchased using EBT like they do with WIC and not just whatever foodstuff/crap you can shove in your overweight, malnourished bodies.

I find it interesting that a group of black students would make a video like this for fear of perpetuating a stereotype, but I think the video is cool and amusing.  It should definitely raise some eyebrows.

wasted youth crew
wasted youth crew's picture
Hat Tips: 153
i know there are people out

i know there are people out there that may be at a point in their lives where they need assistance, but i've lived with "these people" before.

the type that have a tax free (read:illegal) source of income where they made more money than i did, yet collected social security and foods stamps.  if you have money for weed and alcohol, you don't need to take money from the taxpayers to pay for food.  

and anytime someone actually proposes legislation to set some parameters on aid that is paid for by the taxpayers, it get's shutdown.

http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/6090804-418/cha-kills-controversial-plan-to-drug-test-residents.html

this system can't collapse soon enough.

Th3tr3nt
Th3tr3nt's picture
Hat Tips: 22
Once Again...

You guys are really looking too far into the lyrics of this song. When brainstorming as a group, we decided to make the rappers we portrayed as ignorant as possible....I think we got our point across. The fact that we just happened to be African-Americans is just a plus. Instead of RANTING about this issue, you should actually do something about it. Make a statement like we (a bunch of 18 yr olds) did. Sitting on your ass on this site bashing some kids will do NOTHING.

Remember: Satire

HoggetowneHoedown
HoggetowneHoedown's picture
Hat Tips: 145
The new dance craze!

You guys did a great job with this video.  This one is great too:

WTF! I didn't know you could get McDonald's with that shite too?  Sign me up, yo!

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Topic locked
Syndicate contentComments for "The Food Stamp Song: This is Why This Country is in Trouble"