Drill Time

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
tmosley
tmosley's picture
Hat Tips: 14948
Drill Time

Alright folks, me and my family have decided that now that we have preparations more or less in place, it's time to DRILL to make sure that we have what we need.  This drill will be carried out over approximately two weeks, starting July 15th, and ending July 31st.  At the start of the drill, every family member has an allowance distributed to them based on a fraction of their income.  We are currently in the planning stages, but this will be run like a war game.  The parameters will be set up well before the start in an attempt to create a realistic scenario.

I thought you guys might like to participate.  I am going to lay out the basic parameters, and the rules we are going to follow.  Please make suggestions to help make the scenario more realistic.  If you choose to participate let us know in this thread.  We can share our experiences so we can try to overcome any problems that might come up should the real deal come about.  I am thinking this will be the first of a series that will play out over the next year.  The goal is to be totally self sufficient such that the final drill is to go totally off grid (save for internet) for two months.

The first scenario will be easier, and they will get more difficult each time, both with restrictions and with increase time.

The first scenario is this:  hyperinflation has started.  Over the last month, the prices of basic foodstuffs and gasoline have tripled.  Utilities are still working by government mandate, though prices are up significantly.  Water, natgas, electricity, etc are still flowing.  Gas has been rationed.  

To simulate reduced purchasing power, you get 1/3rd of your normal disposable income before gas and food, but after all bills.  You spend this money as you need to to survive.  You are not allowed to sell anything other than foodstuffs, gold, or silver to get more money (sell it to yourself for the remaining 2/3rds of disposable income if you must NOT to anyone else please).

You start the scenario with half the amount of gas you normally keep in the car minus a quarter tank (ie if you let the tank run completely out, and fill it all the way up, you start with the average (half a tank) minus a quarter of a tank, or a quarter tank total.  If you don't let it go below half full, you start with 3/4ths of a tank-1/4th of a tank=half a tank.  The gas ration is 10 gallons per week, only available on Mondays (your ration day), and the cost is three times higher (ie you pay for the gas with the allowance you set out at the start).

Food and general goods are freely available, but 3x as expensive as they are now (ie pay out of your allowance as for gas).  If you have chickens, you can sell the eggs for cash to anyone or to yourself (preserve them please--they are dead to you until the end of the drill).  Etc.

On the 23rd or 24th, you will have to take a field trip to the gun range and shoot (at least) 51 rounds of handgun ammunition or 21 rounds of rifle ammunition (to fend off a band of armed thugs).  If you don't have a gun, you must pay to rent one, or borrow one from a friend, family member, or neighbor.  If you don't have ammo, you must buy it.

Optionally, you can go to the shooting range on either of the other two weekends to help your neighbors fend off thugs.  You can shoot any amount you want.  

If you are currently employed, you will go to your job as normal.  If you get paid during the drill, you will distribute the funds as was done at the beginning.  

The funds that you have set aside can be used to purchase any type of supplies or for PMs, but they can't be used during THIS scenario, unless you buy them with gold, silver, or food that you already have access to.

If anyone has any ideas on how to improve this scenario, feel free to add them.

Edited by admin on 11/08/2014 - 06:06
tmosley
tmosley's picture
I'm pretty surprised no-one

I'm pretty surprised no-one is interested.  This seems like a natural step to take.  Without it, when you finally need to use your preparations, you are highly likely to be caught off guard, possibly multiple times.

Well, if this thread doesn't bump, I'll start a new one when I start the drill in a couple of weeks.

ferretflat
ferretflat's picture
Hat Tips: 1122
Your plan is a good one and

Your plan is a good one and is prudent.  I am interested in your results. 

What is the composition of your family?  Will it be no TV/radio except for hand cranked radio? 

Tis no country for old men.

Mr. Picklepants
Mr. Picklepants's picture
Hat Tips: 441
 I think this is a good idea,

I think this is a good idea, especially if you have children/large family. It's just me and my girlfriend.  I'm prepared for your scenerio. I'd be able to handle that for a good while.

The gas ration might really hurt someone who commutes to work. What if it takes more than 10 to get back n forth(truckers etc..)? I can see how your scenerio is going to spiral out of control pretty fast for millions of people. Supply lines will certainly be strained. I applaud you for doing this for your family. I'll pay attention to each of your proposed scenerios. I'm sure I haven't thought of everything.

Pax Argentum
Pax Argentum's picture
A good idea and along with

A good idea and along with continual education and practical skills application should be a part of everyone's preps. A good many of us, myself included, spend more time planning than testing our plans.

Pax

tmosley
tmosley's picture
Mr. Picklepants wrote:  I

Mr. Picklepants wrote:

I think this is a good idea, especially if you have children/large family. It's just me and my girlfriend.  I'm prepared for your scenerio. I'd be able to handle that for a good while.

The gas ration might really hurt someone who commutes to work. What if it takes more than 10 to get back n forth(truckers etc..)? I can see how your scenerio is going to spiral out of control pretty fast for millions of people. Supply lines will certainly be strained. I applaud you for doing this for your family. I'll pay attention to each of your proposed scenerios. I'm sure I haven't thought of everything.

For a trucker, you have to assume that either the boss pays for the gas, or that you can increase the price of your loads if you are an owner/op, at least for now (not to mention that fuel rations for shipping/delivery services are going to be much larger).

If you are using that much gas in your commute, then you need to seriously examine your situation, because you are EXTREMELY vulnerable.

The point of this scenario is not to impose a hardship, or to interfere with your work, but to make you aware of your vulnerabilities.  If you can't continue to work while staying within the rules of this drill, then you might not be able to continue working if hyperinflation hits.  That means you need to start looking for another job closer to home, or look to move closer to your office.

tmosley
tmosley's picture
ferretflat wrote: Your plan

ferretflat wrote:

Your plan is a good one and is prudent.  I am interested in your results. 

What is the composition of your family?  Will it be no TV/radio except for hand cranked radio? 

I won't talk about the composition of my family due to large numbers of stalkers from ZH.  TV and radio will be available for this scenario.  If the power is off for another scenario, then they will have to be powered by crank, generator, or solar bank.  I presume that broadcasts will continue under most any circumstances.

I do have a nice crank emergency radio that we can use, if nothing else.

Mr. Picklepants
Mr. Picklepants's picture
Hat Tips: 441
tmosley wrote: Mr.

tmosley wrote:

Mr. Picklepants wrote:

For a trucker, you have to assume that either the boss pays for the gas, or that you can increase the price of your loads if you are an owner/op, at least for now (not to mention that fuel rations for shipping/delivery services are going to be much larger).

If you are using that much gas in your commute, then you need to seriously examine your situation, because you are EXTREMELY vulnerable.

The point of this scenario is not to impose a hardship, or to interfere with your work, but to make you aware of your vulnerabilities.  If you can't continue to work while staying within the rules of this drill, then you might not be able to continue working if hyperinflation hits.  That means you need to start looking for another job closer to home, or look to move closer to your office.

Exactly. That is why i like your excercise. I can make it to work with 10 gallons pretty easily(I drive a yaris 36-40mpg) but let's say I lived farther away, or I drove another vehicle. My proposed solutions would be:

1. new job(like you said)

2. Ask boss to sleep at work on certain days? I could do this at mine if absolutely neccessary(Pharmacist).

3. get in shape and bike to work. It's possible for me to bike to work if I get up really early. It would take at least an hour, but hey this is a collapse. i willing and able.

On a tangent, I believe those of us that pay attention are going to have what i call a "prep window" before it gets as bad as your scenerio. I have dry powder ready to go for a giant run to Sam's for this. It will be the last run b, efore the masses catch on. In your scenerio, I'm going to work, home and that's it.

Pickdog
Pickdog's picture
I like it

I will try to get the family unit to play along.

Mariposa de Oro
Mariposa de Oro's picture
Hat Tips: 1514
Greetings All! I'm a long

Greetings All!

I'm a long time lurker who followed the Turd on ZH and tagged along to find myself here.  I'm an electronics tech by trade so I'm not in the markets like most of ya'll but I'm of the same mind as to what's happening economically and politically.  I'd like to thank Turd and everyone else here for the sharing of ideas.  Please continue as you have done and know that there's a lone voice out here in the middle of the ocean, sitting on a lump of coral, watching and waiting.......

tmosely

I think your preparedness drill is a great idea.  I'll be following along and thinking about how I can try something similar, though I live a very modest style here on the island.  We already have supply shortages though they don't usually last long; we don't have cars, cable TV or most other modern niceties.  We don't even have cell phones.  Yes, folks, there is a place on earth  where people don't walk around looking like Borg, yapping to another Borg like creature, lol.

;-)

Magpie
Magpie's picture
Hat Tips: 11455
title

I've seen the topic, but I thought you meant drilling a well for water.  blush

Maybe "war gaming" would catch more people's attention.  It's what Hubby & I call it when we try to talk through all the possible scenarios for TEOTWAWKI.

ancaro imparo.

FogHorn LegHorn
FogHorn LegHorn's picture
Hat Tips: 919
planning and drill

I'M interested and will follow to see how to work up a plan of my own.Good thread TM.

Peter
Peter's picture
Hat Tips: 13
Try an alternative way to cook...

If you have a solar cooker (such as http://www.sunoven.com) or rocket stove (such as http://www.stovetec.net/us/index.php) then the drill might be a good time to try them out -- save money on the inflated natural gas/propane/electricity prices.

codeblue
codeblue's picture
Hat Tips: 2
Drill Time

This is a really good idea - first scenario, mild hyper-inflation.  It is probably the best we can hope for as an outcome.  I know two others who are thinking along these lines and we are having a survivalist dinner exercise this week. Should be interesting to see how we do it. I suggest that in a future scenario we create an inventory of needed skills / resources and begin reaching out to neighbors and others to build a network.  Another point is to build up personal stamina and fitness. I personally could survive mild inflation, but after years of sitting at a desk, I have quite a bit of fitness training on my list. Thanks for starting this thread.

Cheesy Bastard
Cheesy Bastard's picture
Hat Tips: 7
Good idea, t

OK, I'm game.  Since I have a 3.5 mile round trip commute, and a ke100 enduro bike and a c70 honda passport, i should be ok with gas.  Unless it thunderstorms alot. (by your rule i have a half tank in the tahoe, 12.5 gallons)  Shooting range, no problem.  I can use .22lr in my plinker rifle or I do have a .22 handgun.  Cheap ammo, have thousands of rounds in stock.  I will stick to staple foods which I have/can get such as rice and eggs.   I will not take them out of my stock, but will buy them.  I will drink only water.  2 weeks. 

Here is the catch.  I will only do it physically myself.  I will do it for the family based on estimated calories and other such paper calculations.  Everyone already thinks I'm crazy enough.  Cool.

tmosley
tmosley's picture
Peter wrote: If you have a

Peter wrote:

If you have a solar cooker (such as http://www.sunoven.com) or rocket stove (such as http://www.stovetec.net/us/index.php) then the drill might be a good time to try them out -- save money on the inflated natural gas/propane/electricity prices.

Super post!  Solar ovens are excellent.  There are do-it-yourself plans available online, so you don't have to spend ~$300 on a pre made one if you have some time to invest.

mdcromer
mdcromer's picture
Hat Tips: 246
Actually very interested in your thread

Seems like a great idea.

Wish I were as far along with my preps as you.

tmosley
tmosley's picture
You can be.  Much of it is

You can be.  Much of it is not expensive.  Labor intensive, yes, but not expensive.

rock collector
rock collector's picture
Hat Tips: 2216
Drill Time - a few ideas

I like the idea to select a period of time (a long weekend or possibly even a week) to *play pretend* as to some of what we expect to be our circumstances if TSHTF.
It's just me and the missus but we could at least do some of the following to get a closer feel of what might eventually be everyday routine. 

In no particular order:
1) Go to a suitable range and *practice* home defense with our 20 gauge and our 38 special. 
1a) While there, practice *food procurement* with the 22 cal rifle.

2) On designated *crisis* days, prepare our meals and get our drinks entirely out of our existing pantry.  (We have powdered Tang and juices and wine so we won't suffer)
3) Recheck pantry expiration dates and further identify future barter items.

4) Only walk to grocery store that week or weekend, bringing minimum cash and try buying only essentials that don't require refrigeration.

4a) Consider trying to do entirely without refrigerated items for the duration.

5) Walk to local farmer's market and make an attempt to trade a silver coin or two for the farmer's produce, bread or jams. (I will try this someday regardless)

6) Give up TV and Internet for as long as we can (1,2,3 days?), use the crank radio or battery operated radios.  For entertainment, read a book, play cards or play a board game.
7) Experiment with old-time recipes (or make up new ones).  We found a 1936 edition of "The Settlement Cook Book", a Depression era book that is filled with ancient and oddball recipes. The recipes often pull together very unusual combinations of available foods. i.e. whatever is at hand.  Vegetarian nut butter, Liver aspic, Jellied salads, Noodle pudding, Vegetable Charlotte are but a sampling.

8) Check/locate household batteries & flashlights (a battery tester is handy).
9) Check/inventory all our First Aid Kits and medical stores for completeness.
10) Locate and make more ready any fishing gear/tackle we own.
11) Refresh and add to current water stores. (I confess I don't know actually know how many jugs we have filled.)
12) Whatever else comes to minds that stays within the rules.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Topic locked
Syndicate contentComments for "Drill Time"