Priced in Gold

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
inverse
inverse's picture
Hat Tips: 91
Priced in Gold

I've been looking at something for a few months now, I wondered if anyone had any thoughts.

First, let's look at the S&P 500 daily chart.  It's just kind of all over the place, hovering around the 50 day moving average, it bounced off the 200 a couple times:

S&P 500

Now, what if the S&P was priced in Gold rather than US Dollars:

The 50 day MA has given very strong resistance, and there has been very strong resistance both ways when crossing the 200.  The "death cross" when the 50 moved below the 200 in May was drawn out for nearly the whole month.

It hit the 50 today, it will be interesting to see if it breaks it or not.

I think the point here is, the US dollar is completely meaningless for pricing things, and I'm wondering how much that throws off any analysis.

Edited by admin on 11/08/2014 - 06:21
the yonk
the yonk's picture
Hat Tips: 75
The chart now looks as though

The chart now looks as though it might have double bottomed, very far from where  it was just a few months ago.There is no arguing that the downtrend has been severe and that inspite of the may first whooping we took in silver we're still better off than if in the general stock market, but that looks as if it could change a little in favor of stocks for the short term. The 50 day average has not even been sniffed since about the time of this chart

I love doing this because there is so much talk about the dow/gold ratio and I must admit the d/g chart is pretty compelling.

Who knows what will happen especially in the short term. The one thing this chart argues for is that in a down trend, take the gamble aligned with the technical  analyst's wisdom.

Silver Rock
Silver Rock's picture
Hat Tips: 866
Investment Demand's Effect on Gold Prices

Silver Rock
Silver Rock's picture
Gold Annual Total Demand

Silver Rock
Silver Rock's picture
Historical Gold Chart 1975 - Present

Paladex
Paladex's picture
Hat Tips: 2871
Is this your site?

Golden Whistle, is this your site? http://pricedingold.com/

'Cause I think it's great.

“Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason.”
― Mark Twain

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Topic locked
Syndicate contentComments for "Priced in Gold"