Countdown to final scene of Fight Club approaching T-4 weeks? -- additional reasons to step up preps

63 posts / 0 new
Last post
Aronnax
Aronnax's picture
Hat Tips: 547
Countdown to final scene of Fight Club approaching T-4 weeks? -- additional reasons to step up preps

For those unfamiliar, the buildings in the clip are verified empty, and house the files and computer systems of credit rating agencies:

There is a fascinating thread on ZH by CPL that (apparently) discusses an interesting twist on the Anonymous/LulzSec phenomenon:

"Want to know how to knock down a bridge, put over a bank computer system and make it play tetris (seriously easter eggs are everywhere).  Ever wonder why if a building needs to be built or knocked down, the building architect isn't consulted, an engineer is.  Want to do ship breaking.  You need an engineer otherwise it would take twenty years cutting up a ship.  It's in an RFC somewhere.  If you are an Engineer, you get to look at all of it. 

Now because ALL financial institutions want to attempt to stay ISO 900X certified, they have to submit all their stuff, as engineers we promise not to steal the idea while it is validated by peers.  That includes ALGO's/HFT software, networking gear, security, server equipment, TRA's, VA's.  Everything.  That's been my hobby, figuring out how to make that dog bark on my command, or speed it up, or stall it out without touching the systems themselves, but by pushing external conditions to make them move. [...]

The goal isn't to bring any of them to justice or even move the world into a collapse or a new era either utopian or dystopia.  The goal is very, very simple.  Anonymous is going to drastically AMPLIFY their attempts at their retarded, half witted, dumb, messianic plan. 

Anonymous is "helping" the man, we are determined to "add value" to their plans.  Our projected outcome is one thing.  Everyone is going to be flat, fucking broke by the end of it.  Old money, new money, no money, some money.  By pushing things here, and holding another thing back, stalling a transaction.  Do that a million times in a week and you generate the  proper effect to create the sports term "quicksand".  First one thing goes wrong.  Then two things, then four, then eight, etc.  Only way to stop the effect is to reset the game.   To stop the game, the timing of everything has to be so mismatched that nothing ever lines up properly.

So enjoy the coming months, it should be a perfect mess as intended, although the TPTB and their architects would say differently."

There had been at least one reader in the past here on TFMR that alluded sometimes to the activities of the Anon/Engineer community (Leonard?), but to date I have not been able to put much stock into it. However, CPL - at least based on past comments and the current thread - seems to know what he's talking about.

Comments/thoughts/further details on any of the above would be welcome. The regular instances of flash crashes/smashes, the bizarre harmonic amplification between trading algorithms could be examples of the manifestation  of these efforts. Ultimately a very, very large portion of 'currrency' and 'wealth' is digital.  What is mentioned here is certainly plausible - question is how likely, how global - and what (besides the mantra of 'if you cannot hold it in your hand, you do not own it') can be done to prepare?

Edited by admin on 11/08/2014 - 06:24
Aronnax
Aronnax's picture
Last two paragraphs are not quoted

Sorry, did not know initial thread posts cannot be edited.

Strongsidejedi
Strongsidejedi's picture
Hat Tips: 11801
Observations on Anonymous

OK, I'll take the bait.  Just for the LULZ.

Here's my 20 kb of alphanumerics...which will be heavy in lingo.  If you can't decipher, move on.  Don't ask for translation either.  If you can't figure it out, do some altavista or google searches.

I've been watching YouTube channels, blogs, boards, and various MSM reports about Anonymous.  This group surfaced many years ago and came from the 4chan.org /b/tards.  If you haven't a clue what a b-chan is, also move on.

OTOH, if you really give a damn about freedom, you should think about what these "anon" guys are talking about.

The really strike me as the digital equivalent of the patriots taking pot shots at the Red Coats from the brambles along the road from Concord to Boston.  If anyone wants to argue, don't waste your time.  I'm not with Anon.  But, when this scientology fight broke out, I was all for them.  Scilons ransacked some families I know and were using very underhanded tactics to do politically subversion crap in this area.  The Anon guys showed up and began putting heat on the Scilons and an internet war broke out between the Anon guys and the Scilons.

A guy from San Diego who had a typical job on a local news program began uncovering the story behind Scientology.  The Scilons tried to ransack it into oblivion by calling it "conspiracy".  But, the reality was quite different.  Look up "Mark Bunker" on Wiki and double check it against a few other sites.  This guy Bunker had scientology thugs threatening him to the point of doing some real damage.  Another lady showed up on YouTube and was a former Scientology leader.  She had her YouTube account banned, just like Bunker.

Anon, as a group surfaced several years ago when the big fight broke out on the net between the Scientology suck ups and the rest of the netizens who were trying to help the brainwashed people who were locked into Scientology.

The Anon followers were concerned that google and youtube were blocking content and political speech.  I agree with the Anon arguments because it was clear that Google and Youtube were following a rather Soviet style of censorship in the Scientology fight.  Note the wiki write up on "Project Chanology" and "Wise Beard Man".

TF sort of makes me think of Mark Bunker in the Sci fight.  However, TF is much more clean-shaven.  OTOH, TF is also experienced in trading, like Bunker was in MSM.

The tactics used by Scilons in infiltrating and undermining the anti-scilon and Anon crowd are VIRTUALLY IDENTICAL to the tactics used against TF's original blog site.

Congrats to TF for launching this improved site.

I was not able to use the old site from the last week of April to the end of the blog.  The site was locking me out.  There was also jamming and placement of malware on my workstations at the same time.

The opposition can track your IP and use geolocation to ID where you are writing.

Aronnax
Aronnax's picture
thanks, Jedi

That is some fascinating story, I hope to dig in a little and become more well rounded. 

"The opposition can track your IP and use geolocation to ID where you are writing."

Any leads/resources on how to counteract this? It seems it pops up from time to time -- some D-bag did it to tmosley on ZH a while back, and the 'trollbaiter' in the convo I linked above seems to have got his comeuppance from CPL:

by CPL 
on Wed, 06/29/2011 - 22:56

BTW you are 28 years old...and Mormon.  Gimme another couple of hours and I'll have my group dig up your mother's maiden name if you haven't already enjoyed the pizza delivered.

silverbleve
silverbleve's picture
Hat Tips: 2217
hide

CD wrote:

Any leads/resources on how to counteract this? It seems it pops up from time to time -- some D-bag did it to tmosley on ZH a while back, and the 'trollbaiter' in the convo I linked above seems to have got his comeuppance from CPL:

I can help you there NCOT. Without going into too much detail or boring anyone too much, you can hide your ip address using a proxy. A proxy is just what it sounds like. There are tons of free proxies out there, heres one that is ok:

http://ninjaproxy.com

But google "free proxy" and you will quickly have a list. You can use several proxies at a time. Some people use 7. 

Also good stuff on the peoples champions Jedi. Interesting stuff to be sure! Hat tipped to ya. 

Gramp
Gramp's picture
Hat Tips: 5283
Much of this conversation is

Much of this conversation is a bit over my head...

Ignorance is Bliss I guess...

Proxy server... Like it.

Have worried in back of my mind, that participating on TF's site may be painting a potential target on ourselves...

Hard to miss that big Yellow Hat...frown

Oh shit... now I do want to go hide under my bed.

Never really paid attention, Suddenly Fight Club makes sense... WTF.

~ Even a dead Fish can go with the flow ~

HappyNow
HappyNow's picture
Hat Tips: 1958
strongside.   Just before the

strongside.   Just before the old blog shut down there was a lot of the appearing/disappearing post phenomenon happening...not from regular posters though.  Including the We Are Legion key phrase.

During that time I had some weird things go on with the site and had a malware issue which is extremely rare for my computer.   Of course in my mind it was connected however I didn't post it up not wanting to get folks unfamiliar with this sort of thing all caught up in, uh, excitement and chasing tails.   And something told me it wasn't actually Anon because what TF is about shouldn't invite negative attention from them.

Thanks for posting your experience.   Thot you'd like to know you aren't the only one here who understands it.

Really appreciate the background on Anon.  I didn't know that they were formed fighting Scientology's tactics.

@CD - great piece.   Like Judo using the opponent's movement and kinetic energy slightly redirecting while adding your own.   Entirely doable.  Algos are smart in their own way, strong, and cannot think for themselves.   If true we're in for fireworks.

Swing trade indexed ETFs. Long physical gold, silver, and 1 miner.

Aronnax
Aronnax's picture
Walking down the street can be dangerous

... depending on the neighborhood.

@Gramp - Ultimately, the problem with collecting ALL information about EVERYBODY is that you end up with too MUCH info, that cannot ever be efficiently indexed, stored, searched, etc. Minimize known risks (e.g. use a proxy -- thanks Jedi - should have started doing this long ago), educate yourself, but ultimately don't let risks run/ruin your life.

@HappyNow - thanks, but I cannot take credit for this, other than bringing it here from ZH -- this guy CPL is one cool (but spooky) dude.

HappyNow
HappyNow's picture
CD wrote:@HappyNow - thanks,

CD wrote:
@HappyNow - thanks, but I cannot take credit for this, other than bringing it here from ZH -- this guy CPL is one cool (but spooky) dude.

Understood.  Your integrity is appreciated.  The thanks was for bringing it here.  

Bongo Jim
Bongo Jim's picture
Hat Tips: 2107
So, T minus 4 weeks? Why not

So, T minus 4 weeks? Why not tomorrow?

TheGoodDoctor
TheGoodDoctor's picture
Hat Tips: 11941
So CD have you been in

So CD have you been in contact with CPL? I read this information in the ZH thread and find it to be intriguing. He seems to have gone dark after these posts over at ZH. I'd like to find out more info on this. Any suggestions?

Never mess with a nerd who has the power to exhibit that power.

“Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves.” Norm Franz

Aronnax
Aronnax's picture
@TheGoodDoctor re:CPL

Hi Doc,

No, CPL is apparently still sleeping off the hangover he got after that last diatribe -- and I had never interacted with him before, so no reason for him to follow up. He certainly seems like a genuine enough guy, if you go back and read some of his more biographical posts on ZH.

I know very, very little of substance (alas) about the world he lives/lived in. I asked an old, old friend who nearly got booted from university for hacking into the reasonably respectable system on campus (U of I CU), his response:

"Anyways, I read CPL's comments. It is difficult what to make of them. He seems to use technical jargon accurately, but there is not enough detail to really judge the veracity of what he says. But that doesn't mean what he says is untrue. It very well could be true. I'm not sure. But I will say that I wouldn't be surprised if there is at least a modicum of truth there."

So, WTFDIK. Messing with CPL is the furthest thing from my mind, obviously, though it would be good to hear further details. Will try to probe elsewhere for confirmation, and report back if I find out anything.

Your avatar reminds me a bit of Trudeau's Duke - any connection?

TheGoodDoctor
TheGoodDoctor's picture
Hat Tips: 11941
Trudeau's Duke is based on

Trudeau's Duke is based on Hunter S. Thompson. That is who is in my avatar. It's a tip of the hat to "The Good Doctor" since he called himself a doctor. Don't know if he had a doctorate. And the name is a tip of the hat to Ron Paul. Who is a doctor having delivered 4000 babies. And both are good. So, there you have it.

They both write. Both were in politics. Both are critics of government. I don't know what they think/thought of each other. But I regard them as heroes and good upstanding citizens. :p

PS I was going to say that he certainly has a grip on the jargon as well. I'm in IT myself. So, that is why I was initially drawn to the thread after seeing it here. I kept thinking,
"Jeez, maybe this guy is serious." It will be interesting to see what happens.

“Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves.” Norm Franz

magis00
magis00's picture
Hat Tips: 413
CPL mentioned in ZH comments on today's WTI algo action

Since CPL was the impetus for the establishment of this fine thread, I thought I'd add this exchange to the record:

picture-42021.jpg
by Piranhanoia
on Thu, 07/07/2011 - 14:15

I am not sure that I didn't miss a piece regarding hacking the exchange, but a question;   If hackers can get in any site in the world that is supposed to be protected,

Why the hell would anyone want to trade where you can see it is rigged and hacked regularly?  Is it the same old herd thinking they can latch on to something glorious if they follow the action?  

Has there been a story about the direct hacking of the machines that trade with each other?

bagicon.png
by Rynak
on Thu, 07/07/2011 - 14:52

There can't. This isn't hollywood. You can't just crack any machine wherever it is, and do whatever you want with it:

1. Both machines need to be directly connected (or one needs to takeover a machine that has direct connection to the target). You cannot just cast a magic wand and get action at a distance. In this case, The trader-machines (running the algos) are connected to the exchange servers - but they are not directly connected to each other. Thus, the only thing an algo-machine could directly exploit, is the exchange, not other participants.

2. Once you have a connection, you can't just wave magic wand and takeover a machine. Instead, the other machine needs to have a software error, which you can exploit to make the machine do something, which it shouldn't do. THIS is what usually is called a takeover - making buggy software of the target machine do the stuff you want it to do.

3. In the absence of a direct connection, you cannot takeover another machine - but you may be able to exploit errors in it, to make them crash or do stupid things. For example, CPL a few weeks ago made the experiment, of selling a stock, for zero .... the algos quickly went nuts on that.

Aronnax
Aronnax's picture
Facebook/Twitter & proxy

Is it just my lack of technical understanding, or is it impossible to log into the aforementioned fine social networks using a proxy?

Turd Ferguson
Turd Ferguson's picture
Hat Tips: 272171
Blissfully Unaware

I just found this thread. Didn't even realize all of the nasty shit that was apparently going on at our old home. 

T - 4 weeks from the beginning of this thread is 2 weeks. You've certainly got my attention. 

HappyNow
HappyNow's picture
Turd Ferguson wrote: I just

Turd Ferguson wrote:

I just found this thread. Didn't even realize all of the nasty shit that was apparently going on at our old home. 

T - 4 weeks from the beginning of this thread is 2 weeks. You've certainly got my attention. 

Yeah Turd in the last 2 days on the old site someone was playing serious games on the board that could only be done with backdoor access.   Not necessarily sinister they were just pranking from what I saw.  Well the malware incident was a nuisance >.<

The first post here is a good one.   If you've been following the HFT flash crash stuff that first appeared in NGas and later in Oil there is definitely potential to trick the algos into screwing each other and the market over if you had the right access.

maravich44
maravich44's picture
cuttingthroughthematrix

@ CD, Thank You for bringing this site to my attention,maybe nothing new to many here but some good info for the new and curious.

Watcher
Watcher's picture
Hat Tips: 2014
Any updates?

Any updates?

ZH: "In other news, it is now 7 days and counting until July 22." http://www.zerohedge.com/article/obama-pushes-emergency-camp-david-meeting-debt-ceiling-solution-boehner-just-says-no

Is he talking about this or possibly the start of NFL camps?

Aronnax
Aronnax's picture
@Watcher

Read the link in the OP

http://www.zerohedge.com/article/anonymous-a99-opesr-rico-class-action-lawsuit-against-federal-reserve#comment-1413791

It's about flaws in the Y2K patches implemented in critical mainframe infrastructure + Anon/Lulz members playing for slightly higher stakes than just defacing webpages, with a specifically reference to the last day of the current month

I Got Worms
I Got Worms's picture
Hat Tips: 25
CPL is back posting on ZH:

CPL is back posting on ZH: http://www.zerohedge.com/article/paul-ryan-responds-gang-six-bipartisan-deficit-cutting-plan

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Topic locked
Syndicate contentComments for "Countdown to final scene of Fight Club approaching T-4 weeks? -- additional reasons to step up preps"