See how gold stacks up against other assets in John Exter's Pyramif of Assets

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Lonerangersilver
Lonerangersilver's picture
Hat Tips: 296
See how gold stacks up against other assets in John Exter's Pyramif of Assets

http://lonerangersilver.wordpress.com/2011/06/08/john-exter%E2%80%99s-inverted-pyramid-of-assets-3/

Edited by admin on 11/08/2014 - 06:31

Lonerangersilver

Pax Argentum
Pax Argentum's picture
Thanks for posting, but I'm

Thanks for posting, but I'm not sure I understand the positioning.

While I agree with the premise that gold is an asset and not someone else's liability, how is it that diamonds and gemstones are a derivative of a lower asset class?

And did I miss silver? Or is 'gold' representative of PMs in general?

Pax

Quintus
Quintus's picture
Hat Tips: 61
@ Pax Argentum

Pax, gemstones are classed in Exter's analysis as having much lower utility than metals primarily because they are not fungible.  Gold and Silver are, and always have been, 'Money' because one oz of gold or silver is exactly the same as any other oz of gold or silver.  This works as a medium of exchange.  Diamonds, on the other hand, are unique.  No two are the same, and only an expert can value one properly.  They are, in essence, luxury items and little more useful than, say, Rembrandt paintings for exchange or trade.

"When you own gold, you're fighting every central bank in the world." -- Jim Rickards

Pax Argentum
Pax Argentum's picture
Ah, okay. That makes

Ah, okay. That makes sense.

Thanks Quintus.

Pax

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Topic locked
Syndicate contentComments for "See how gold stacks up against other assets in John Exter's Pyramif of Assets"