nervous but going to post anyway

48 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ruffian
Ruffian's picture
Hat Tips: 4947
nervous but going to post anyway

I kinda need some help and/or recommendations from some people please.

i really do not know anything about this stuff on here and Zero Hedge but I read it anyway.  I have to look up all the terms like margins, calls etc   It is very laborious so I wondering if any of you might know of a book or site that is just basics for people like me.

I'm just somebody who is trying to self learn because I barely got through high school.  I want to learn enough so that I don't get chumped and so I too can tell trolls from legitimate alternative opinions and ideas.  Right now they all kinda make sense to me.

Right now I can only tell by the tone that some people use that try to mock TF.   On ZH it is impossible for me tell.

I'm basically looking for a starting place...

Anyway if you have any idea and would pass them along, I'd be most grateful.

Edited by admin on 11/08/2014 - 06:27
Dr Durden
Dr Durden's picture
Hat Tips: 5371
If it makes you feel any

If it makes you feel any better, I understand about 1/3 of what TD posts about on ZH and 2/3rds of it is completely lost on me. Trying to read the comments section can be useless most of the time because it just turns into a pissing contest or a circle jerk. Forget trying to sort through it unless someone posts an article or a video (which does happen a lot). 

I think it just takes time. Don't feel stupid about asking questions here. Many many willing to help and share - as a matter of fact, I haven't seen anyone get flamed yet.

What are you struggling with the most? Use this thread to ask specific questions.

Got GIABO?

"It's called the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." ~George Carlin

Ruffian
Ruffian's picture
Thanks for answering.Right

Thanks for answering.

Right now I'm really struggling with bonds and the FED.  I've read a lot on the FED but I still don't understand how and why they are allowed to do what they want.   I mean why isn't interest paid back to taxpayers.  Why is there interest when the news says it is at zero.

I don't understand why anyone would buy bonds.  I mean who are these people that buy them and why do they?

I should add that I became curious about all this stuff when I found boxes and boxes of graph paper with numbers and lines all over that belonged to my dad.  I found it curious because I remembered him saying on more than one occasion that the stock market was dirtier than the mob.  He told me to stay away from it, ignore it and stick to racing because at least you know who is dirty and who is not.  Yet, when he died he had all this stuff in his accounts. Puzzling to me because my dad was not a hypocrite but he was on this.

I wanted to add that I probably have a million questions.  As I read these sites I become more confused as to where to put my money at.  Everyone says it is going to be worthless, the markets are fixed.  TF has said the government or someone  is manipulating the PM's.   I just don't get how all this can be possible.  I realize that it is but what do you do?   Why should me or anyone try to make money?  I kinda feel like I should just be planting tomatoes or corn but there really isn't any money in small time farming.  I'm just so confused. 

Sorry for blabbing so much....

pourty
pourty's picture
Hat Tips: 2678
Gold and Silver

Keep reading, keep learning, you'll eventually figure much of this stuff out.  But my perspective is very simple:

I ask myself this question:  If my grandparents knew in 1928 that the depression was coming in 1929, what would they have done to prepare?  I then act accordingly.

After I have stored away the basic necessities of life (housing, food, water, clothing, guns, etc.), it's time to invest whatever money I can into gold and silver.  That's how I intend to ride out the coming economical storm.  Note these preps (other than the gold and silver) also apply to pretty much any natural or man-made disaster, so you don't have to be a crazy end-of-the-world-as-we-know-it believer in order for this to make sense.

And the Evil Empire (EE) may be manipulating the price of PM's to hold them down, but eventually that won't work anymore.  It's that eventuality that has many of us stacking away physical gold and silver coins.

Disclaimer: This is not financial advice, it's simply what I'm doing.  Take it for what it's worth.

Ruffian
Ruffian's picture
Thanks for answering. I agree

Thanks for answering.

I agree with the strategy.  But I always heard metals were not for regular folks like me.  That it was too complicated or something.  So I figured that I should learn how this entire system works.

I really kind of a hick. I live in the country and grow a lot of my food.  Buy my meat and stuff from a local farmer not a grocer and I have an endless supply of water. 

To be honest I bought two houses that I don't need.  I'm not flipping them, I'm renting them.  I only did this recently because I don't know what else to do.  People are selling off real great brood mares for pennies and I'm buying them too. I feed them off of my own hayfields.

My point is that you run out of stuff to buy.  I am reading as much as I can but the truth is that I have comprehension lacking because of a learning disability.  So, I have to rely on the kindness of others to explain things to me.  Its embarrassing believe me.

Truth is that if it wasn't for what my dad left me. I'd be living in a box or a pickup truck.  That's why I'm scared.  Outside of racing, I'll never get a job.

Ruffian
Ruffian's picture
It just occurred to me that

It just occurred to me that most people would be thinking why don't I just get professional help.

My dad died a few months before 9/11.  I think my mom had to pay a lot of taxes so she had to sell part of his stuff.   I had heard that the markets were closed right after so I'm not sure how half his assets disappeared.  I mean poof just vanished.   An estate lawyer told us he was shocked they were sold on 9/12. I remember my moms accountant being floored.  She was blind by that time and grief stricken.

I wasn't very old so I'm not sure.  I don't even know how to be sure.  All I know is that I am not going to trust anyone until I learn more.  Even worse, I found out my relatives are ghouls. 

Jasper Puddlemaker
Jasper Puddlemaker's picture
Hat Tips: 1879
You mentioned a couple of

Read, listen, and learn.  It takes time; no way around that.   There are so many sites you could go to, and everyone has their favorites.  For me, Jim Sinclair's site (editorials), and Eric King's site (guest editorials and interviews) are mandatory.  Excellent education and not time-consuming.  No cost, so try them for a week or two and see what you think.  I have been around this sector for 11 years now; you will find none better.

http://www.jsmineset.com/

http://kingworldnews.com/kingworldnews/King_World_News.html

Ruffian
Ruffian's picture
Going there now. merci'

Going there now.

merci'

jaj64
jaj64's picture
Hat Tips: 115
Depending on how much you have to spend...

Depending on how much you have to spend... Go over to apmex.com and buy 1+ american silver eagle "monster boxes" which come in packs of 500 for 20k. Take them and go bury them 5 feet deep on some of your farmland and forget about them for a couple years. You dont really need to understand the specifics of the stock market, just make sure you have plenty of physical gold and silver in your possession (since it seems you have your preps in order). SGTBull07 on youtube has some very easy to understand micro documentaries that you can learn the basics at:

Good luck to you

BlackHawk
BlackHawk's picture
Hat Tips: 3888
Hello Ruffian

I live off the kindness of strangers too! It sounds pitiful, but with the right attitude, it's exciting. Like Hansel and Gretel for example. They had a great adventure, following the open road in the woods, finding and nibbling on a candy house owned by a witch who tries to eat them, defending themselves and baking her in an easy-bake witch oven and THEN...they run into the nice woodsman who takes care of all their worries. It's a fairy tale, but true that there are nice people out there. We just have to screen out the man-eating witches.

I think you should read the crash course by Chris Martenson on www.chrismartenson.com

Chris is real smart and easy to understand. His website is free or you can buy his crash course book, and his website also offers to arrange consultations with him if you want or need that. I don't know him personally, but I tend to trust people like Turd and Chris who are giving away so much of their hard-earned knowledge without asking for anything up front. They operate by the Golden Rule. When you get knowledgeable, I know you will pass it on too.

By the way, I used to pay people to manage my money. I found out they didn't know much more than me. Now if I am going to lose, I prefer to do it on my own. When looking for a financial advisor, ask to see their tax returns and see their reaction. If they can't prove they can manage their own money, why should you trust them with yours?

You can practice trading silver and gold now with a free Forex trading account: http://www.forex.com/open-account.html?type=practice

Nobody is really ever ready to do their first trade. The terms and ideas you are learning will stick better if you are practicing hands-on. Reading about growing tomatoes is nothing like growing tomatoes.

Learn how to trade Forex (currency pairs, gold, and silver) and lots of trading terms at www.babypips.com  That's what I am doing now and I talked Forex into extending my free 30-day practice account into 90-days.

Finally, you write and express yourself pretty doggone well. You might be a whole lot smarter than you give yourself credit for. Don't sell yourself short, my dad used to say. I'm completely sure he never knew what selling short meant, but he made sure we weren't scared of anything, even being poor. We grew up long on courage.

Kid Salami
Kid Salami's picture
Hat Tips: 425
RuffianI truly think you've

Ruffian

I truly think you've jumped the main two hurdles ie. you seem to be able honestly appraise your own situation (even though I agree you are selling yourself short) and you accept there is a problem and that YOU are the one to do something. The rest is downhill.

Buying some gold and silver as advised above - even if just in small amounts until you gain confidence - is step number one. I think an understanding of the fraud which is out money system is the starting point - I  have some articles I use to introduce people to this. Most ignore them (even those who are "clever" in that they have degrees and PhDs) - if you follow them, you can consider yourself above these "clever" people in my book.

http://www.fame.org/HTM/President16.htm

http://www.goldensextant.com/LLCPostings4.html#anchor134408

http://www.lust-for-life.org/Lust-For-Life/InterviewWithGEdwardGriffin/InterviewWithGEdwardGriffin.pdf

and sections 1-8 of this are good too

http://mises.org/daily/3480

And for a bit of light humour mixed in....

Hope you, erm, enjoy them!

Seacap81
Seacap81's picture
Hat Tips: 512
Ruffian:  The link below is

Ruffian:  The link below is the best possible place to start.  I forewarn you, the material is going scare you, but it is the TRUTH.  Recently, I shared the audio with my 17 year old daughter as I felt she was able to handle the truth.  It shocked her, its shocks anyone when they learn about the Federal Reserve for the first time.  The more people who learn about the Federal Reserve the sooner it will be ended.  Ruffian, I have one request from you as you came here with one request and it is this:  Be bold and share this with all your friends, family, co-workers.  You don't have to explain it to them, just share the link.

So, here you go...............     http://www.silverbearcafe.com/private/3.08/secondlook.html

tread_w_care
tread_w_care's picture
Hat Tips: 3056
We really need a welcome/intro thread . . .

For folks who are just awakening after taking the red pill.

With Turd's and our collective stated mission, I've been curious why no forum/sticky thread for the new people. 

Late 2007 through the 2008 crash was my awakening, and I've been studying voraciously since then, and I am still unclear on some concepts/terms.  Still uncomfortable with options trading.  But, I am so much better off than I was pre 2008 crash.  I for one would gladly contribute information to a 'welcome/FAQ/start here' Forum or thread.

Coming here or ZeroHedge cold is like trying to learn to swim by jumping into class 5 dam release rapids. 

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it." - Frederic Bastiat http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Fr%C3%A9d%C3%A9ric_Bastiat

CYM
CYM's picture
Hat Tips: 1630
Start with Chris Martensen's

Start with Chris Martensen's "Crash Course"

http://www.chrismartenson.com/crashcourse

"Money As Debt" is a very good primer as well.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2550156453790090544#

Ruffian
Ruffian's picture
Wow you all, I mean just

Wow you all, I mean just wow.

I'm literally moved to tears with all the info, kind words and encouragement.  You really probably can't understand how much it moves me.

My life has been full of tragedy. I don't want pity we all have crosses to bear.  But it's hard when you go to sites and people mock your poor grammar, spelling etc.  As if I don't already know how bad it is.

I've had that in the public my whole life.  One of my teachers in high school told me I should find a husband because God gave me looks to make up for lack of brains. Needless to say, I didn't see much point of asking him for help.  So usually, I just shut up and keep quiet.

When I mention my parents, they were really my grandparents but they raised me from a toddler.  I am grateful because they taught me stuff that people don't do today.  My dad warned me when the first thing a government would do when they were going to take over is to disarm the public.  You know stuff they knew but we forgot because we didn't live with the threats they did.

A lot of times I feel sorry for myself.  It is so easy to do and then I go in my kitchen and watch water filling up a shiny clean pan and think how lucky I am.

My mind doesn't work like most people. The best way I can explain it is like when you go wikipedia and see a link that takes to you to another and then another and soon  you forget what you looking for in the first place. 

Again, I'm so grateful to you all for giving up your sites so I don't have to try to sift through the bad ones.

Ruffian
Ruffian's picture
Thanks for the site.  It is

Thanks for the site.  It is so funny because I wondered how you get physical stuff because I've read on here about Comex and not having any or enough. 

I called them on the phone tho.  I had to have my bank wire them.   Only they kinda don't have the stuff yet.  They said it will come in July.   I did it this way because I just had to replace my debit card again and the manager told me to quit using debit cards online.  I don't have any credit cards.

I buy horses through bank wires to pay the consignors.  I think I should stick with that because then it's paid and I don't have to worry about the bill.

ClinkinKY
ClinkinKY's picture
Hat Tips: 22724
Ruffian

Just wanted to say that your username touches me as I am as interested in racing as I am in PMs.

Ruffian, for those not in the know, was a filly with a heart as big as all outdoors. She had won all 10 of her starts, setting records along the way. Her eleventh, and final race, was a "match race" against the Kentucky Derby winner, Foolish Pleasure. An equine Billie Jean King vs Bobby Riggs event, that was nationally televised.. Tragically she broke down during this race and had to be euthanized. Very sad day for all of racing and horse lovers everywhere.

"The more you complain, the longer God lets you live".

Ruffian
Ruffian's picture
...... and that is exactly

...... and that is exactly why I chose that name.  I get shivers and shudders when I think of her.  That filly had a huge engine too and was gorgeous.

I love KY.  Had a great summer there so far.  Mostly because the quality isn't there this year like previous years.  One of my two year olds didn't meet his reserve price at the sale so I raced him.  He had a huge, huge first start and finished second once he collected himself and  got up on the bit... now I'm getting offers over the reserve.  I'm trying to decide to take the offer or risk a second race later this year.

Rico
Rico's picture
Hat Tips: 6337
Consider checking out

Consider checking out stansberryresearch.com .  Porter Stansberry offers a good product, and makes sure that beginners can understand the concepts, so they don't get left behind.

I have absolutely no connection to the firm, outside of being a long-time subscriber.

BlackHawk
BlackHawk's picture
Hat Tips: 3888
Ruffian Avatar?

compassion_head_r.jpgruffian220.jpg

ClinkinKY
ClinkinKY's picture
Hat Tips: 22724
Ruffian wrote: ...... and

Ruffian wrote:

...... and that is exactly why I chose that name.  I get shivers and shudders when I think of her.  That filly had a huge engine too and was gorgeous.

I love KY.  Had a great summer there so far.  Mostly because the quality isn't there this year like previous years.  One of my two year olds didn't meet his reserve price at the sale so I raced him.  He had a huge, huge first start and finished second once he collected himself and  got up on the bit... now I'm getting offers over the reserve.  I'm trying to decide to take the offer or risk a second race later this year.

Churchill...Keeneland? I know someone who would appreciate a "hot tip" the next time he runs:)

Already have our seats for the Breeders Cup in November.

"The more you complain, the longer God lets you live".

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Topic locked
Syndicate contentComments for "nervous but going to post anyway"