Junk Silver question

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
Eric_2
Eric_2's picture
Hat Tips: 586
Junk Silver question

This might be a silly question, but I am hoping that one of the silver experts on this forum can answer this for me -

Is there still much (or any) junk silver in general circulation?  ie:  can you go to the bank and exchange some paper for a bunch of rolls of half dollars, quarters or dimes with any chance of finding one or two pre-1965 coins in the rolls that you get from the bank?

I sometimes check the coins that I get as change when I purchase something, but I never find anything.  I am just wondering if they are still out there or if over the last 45 years coin shops have already gotten everything out of circulation already.

Edited by admin on 11/08/2014 - 06:09
jrobb316
jrobb316's picture
Hat Tips: 932
You can find some still but

You can find some still but it is rare. Your best chance is half dollars. I look at all my pocket change, last year I found a 1964 dime. That's about it though. I keep meaning to ask my bank if they have rolls of half dollars to try it myself.

Eric Original
Eric Original's picture
Try rolls of Halves

We've had folks on the blog over the last few months talk about going to the bank and getting rolls of halves and finding a few halves.  It only takes a couple of 90% or 40% to make it worthwhile.  I tried to do it, but my bank doesn't even stock rolls of halves.

As far as finding them in your pocket.  I've found maybe 2-3 dimes in the last couple years.  Pretty close to zip.

This isn't a metals blog anymore. It's a right wing circle jerk, masquerading as a metals blog.

Mr. Picklepants
Mr. Picklepants's picture
Hat Tips: 441
 In the pharmacy I've had 2

In the pharmacy I've had 2 people over the past year give me change with a jeffersonian nickel, and a kennedy half dollar(1967). I was thrilled. Doesn't happen often.

Dr Durden
Dr Durden's picture
Hat Tips: 5371
I've never seen a dime, but

I've never seen a dime, but there are halves. I've asked to buy halves from two of my bank's branches but they don't have them which means I'd have to special order them. It's just not worth the time.

Got GIABO?

"It's called the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." ~George Carlin

Old Major
Old Major's picture
Hat Tips: 230
I spent some time going

I spent some time going through rolls of half dollars and didn't have any luck.  My bank lets me withdrawl boxes of Kennedy halves worth $500.00 each.  If you do that, just remember you don't need to look at the dates, just look at the reeded edges.  If it's a clad coin, you'll see a copper like color.  If it's silver, the reeded edge will just be silver. 

Might not be worth your time, but you can find lots of pre 1983 pennies out there that contain 90% copper (worth about .03).  Or if you could take out $500.00 worth of nickels and you'd have $610.00 worth of copper. 

Why our some of our coins have reeded edges:

http://www.usmint.gov/about_the_mint/fun_facts/?action=fun_facts10

Dr Durden
Dr Durden's picture
Hat Tips: 5371
Old Major wrote:pre 1983

Old Major wrote:
pre 1983 pennies out there that contain 90% copper (worth about .03).  Or if you could take out $500.00 worth of nickels and you'd have $610.00 worth of copper. 

97.5%, actually.

I chose pennies right before the US Mint put out the desire to replace them with other, cheaper materials. My feeling is Gresham's Law will kick in and they'll be gone in 10 years.

My bank always has as many $25 bricks as I want and I bought a $10 sorter so going thorough a box is pretty easy. I have 200 lbs right now.

Got GIABO?

"It's called the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." ~George Carlin

Jake
Jake's picture
Hat Tips: 7806
Eric_2 wrote: "... can you go

Eric_2 wrote:

"... can you go to the bank and exchange some paper for a bunch of rolls of half dollars, quarters or dimes with any chance of finding one or two pre-1965 coins in the rolls that you get from the bank?

I sometimes check the coins that I get as change when I purchase something, but I never find anything.  I am just wondering if they are still out there or if over the last 45 years coin shops have already gotten everything out of circulation already.

I thought about this in 1977. A buddy and I changed maybe 100 rolls where I found 25 40%'s and 15 1964's/Franklins. He was lucky. He found an entire roll of 1964's once. It became amusing to each bank seeing us on multiple occasions trying to find ways to explain why we were doing this. We dumped sorted rolls to exchange for dollars at one bank, then drove to the same banks over and over again until the manager kicked us out. We wrote that bank off and headed for new ones. I also let my buddy do most of the driving since I was cheap in those days and didn't want to spend any money on gas.

I recently tried this again myself with $2000 worth of Halves. Found Ziltch. I had to put them all back into the rolls as there are no banks willing to accept bags for counters in my area. I also didn't want to give up the 8% to shove them down a CoinStar machine. 

The bottom line IMO is that they can sort these using weight differentiator machines before releasing them to the banks. My only suggestion would be to go to the smallest bank in your area in a very small town....Like really small----and ask for the halves that are sitting in their vault. It's possible those might still have not been sorted by others, but the chances are slim. As for quarters and dimes---forget it.

Now---Having said that, I recently got myself caught up in the idea from the survival blog that it might be a good idea to save your nickels

http://www.survivalblog.com/nickels.html

...so I bought $1000 from banks that had them in their vault. I didn't order them. Those come in $100 boxes and are too new. After sorting through $1000 worth of nickels, I found 7 war nickels. You can work out whether that's worth your time.

Your Silver--I Want to Buy it! Sell Me Your Silver!

Eric_2
Eric_2's picture
Hat Tips: 586
Thanks!

Thanks for the answers everyone!  I'd heard about the pennys and nickles, but I don't think I can afford the time to make that worthwhile.  I will try to get some half dollars from small, local banks and see if I get lucky!

Pablo
Pablo's picture
Hat Tips: 1053
Coin Roll Hunting

I'd like to point out that the only way you are going to have any luck with "coin roll hunting" is if your bank orders their coins from someplace other than an armored company (I'm looking at you, Brinks). Any armored company like Brinks, Loomis, Dunbar will have exactly 0% silver content in their coins. This is because they run all their coins through automatic detectors and take the silver out and sell it for a profit. 

If your bank rolls their own coins or gets them from the Fed you have a better chance because they will typically not be run through a detector.

Your best bet is probably a small local bank than rolls their own coins and has lots of small business (merchant) customers, because the flow is pretty good of coins coming in for deposit and being re-rolled by the bank. Extra points if the bank uses clear plastic wrappers :)

Now if you're really really lucky and you or your old grandma live in the sticks somewhere, your bank might have a box of old dusty silver Kennedy's in the back of the safe that got stashed there 48 years ago.

Anyway, the bottom line is that you should find out where your bank gets their rolled coin from before you have them order it, or you'll be wasting your time and their time.

I Got Worms
I Got Worms's picture
Hat Tips: 25
In three years of looking at

In three years of looking at all my change, I have found a single '44 quarter. I do keep all my pre-1982 pennies and have quite a pile.

Gramp
Gramp's picture
Hat Tips: 5286
CRH

Last winter I through bit over 2000$ in half Dollars for... NADA.

About the same for dimes, and found maybe 3 or 4.

There are a few silver coins I guess, but I didn't find it worth the effort.

~ Even a dead Fish can go with the flow ~

Warren Peace
Warren Peace's picture
Hat Tips: 850
Small Towns USA

I've found that in small towns, a lot more people have coffee and paint cans full of change they have saved for 20+ yrs. Some of this must hit the local stores because just by going through my own saved change, I find a large percentage of pre '82 pennies, quite a few pre '65 dimes, and sometimes even a silver quarter (even found a mercury dime!) I don't think the benefit warrants a special trip to a bank, but just going through your own change is definitely worth it. Now I'm getting some paint cans stocked up..... with small denomination real money!

arch stanton
arch stanton's picture
Hat Tips: 2079
ditto warren

my x wife did the books in a chain grocery store for years and checked all the coinage every night.  This was in a town of about 8,000.  she would go months with zip then every now and then would come home with a bag of pre '65 then zip for months.  someone had discovered a stash and spent it, other than that there was nothing and this was coinage coming from circulation not from brinks, and this was years ago.

No1Hunter
No1Hunter's picture
Hat Tips: 1324
What you find comes from . . .

Generally, anything you find now day or even 20 years ago comes from some kids raiding their dad's coin collection or coffee can full of silver he pulled from circulation years ago.  I know this from working in a Pizza Parlor 30+ years ago.  I had kids come in the pay for pizza with all silver coins, which I promptly exchanged for flat currency!

So, if any of you have kids and don't have your junk silver locked up, beware!!!

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Topic locked
Syndicate contentComments for "Junk Silver question"