This is about your basics to live!

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Adventures
Adventures's picture
Hat Tips: 611
This is about your basics to live!

I know many of us were followers of Turd from Zerohedge. But I see this as not PM's or trading but the basics. Food, Water, Shelter, Heat and Security.

Now I know this will sound a bit odd but how will use the toilet if the sewer system shut's down for 3 weeks? Where will you get your water for a garden? How about trash pickup is suspended for a month? All of these things have happened in the western world. But what will you do? Do you have plan? You got food a bit of water but what about rats and other vermin?

Can you leave home because of fire or flooding? What will you grab? do you have a plan? 

Edited by admin on 11/08/2014 - 06:06
Eric_2
Eric_2's picture
Hat Tips: 586
An extremely important point - vital actually.

@Adventures - you bring up an excellent point that is often overlooked, even on "hard core" survival blogs or forums, and that is sanitation.

When 20 million people in Southern California can no longer flush their toilets, what happens?  When trash starts to pile up, what happens?  When people go for days our weeks without bathing or after handling food, trash and sick or injured (or deceased) people what problems does that create?  And as gruesome as it sounds, when nobody comes to take away the dead, then what? 

Under the best of circumstances, people don't like talking or thinking about sanitation and hygiene.  But it is going to become extremely important when the sanitation services that everyone takes for granted are no longer functioning.  If you live in the city you'd better at least have a couple five gallon buckets with tight fitting lids and plenty of bleach or rubbing alcohol.

Something to think about.

Adventures
Adventures's picture
Hat Tips: 611
Ther are answers, it's going to be unpleasant at best.

Stay safe and spend the extra time to be safe. Never crap in your own nest, Kurt Saxon has a great bit of info for humanre and many other sites have great way of disposing of filth.

You must protect yourself against other folks stupidity. While that river may look clean, can you say a caw hasn't pooped in it. Or folks haven't dumped  "Black water" down a drain?  Always assume any fresh water in contaminated and treat as you don't trust any water you haven't put up safely.

Tripel_Play
Tripel_Play's picture
Hat Tips: 127
Book recommendation

I recommend Cody Lundin'g book "When All Hell Breaks Loose". 

http://www.amazon.com/When-All-Hell-Breaks-Loose/dp/142360105X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1309833842&sr=8-1

It answers the questions that you're asking, which are very important IMHO.

CoalCracker
CoalCracker's picture
Hat Tips: 39
Rain Barrels

I collect water in rain barrels off of both corners of my shed - not so much for drinking but for my garden and if things get bad, can be used for flushing toilets or laundry, etc.  Right now, two 55 gallon rain barrels have enough water to keep my garden irrigated for one week. 

One can also drill for a well or if closer to a water source (like a lake, river or stream) can pump water to where it is needed or can be stored closer to home.  Keep in mind, any water that your planning to use from an "alternative" water source for human consumption must be purified before using.  Filtering, boiling and even using purification tablets or bleach may help save from a nasty illness.

wasted youth crew
wasted youth crew's picture
Hat Tips: 153
Tripel_Play wrote: I

Tripel_Play wrote:

I recommend Cody Lundin'g book "When All Hell Breaks Loose". 

http://www.amazon.com/When-All-Hell-Breaks-Loose/dp/142360105X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1309833842&sr=8-1

It answers the questions that you're asking, which are very important IMHO.

cody is the guy i thought of when i opened this thread.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Topic locked
Syndicate contentComments for "This is about your basics to live! "