TSX

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
jaj64
jaj64's picture
Hat Tips: 115
TSX

I currently own all of my miners on the NYSE, what are the risks and rewards for holding miners on the TSX vs the NYSE? Would it be better to hold miners on the TSX in case the US financial system gets in trouble?

Also, IF worst case scenario there was a huge crash of some sort, are the banks/govt allowed to sell your equities and pay off their debtors or would I be able to transfer my stocks over to the TSX through the company some how?

Just some things I have been wondering for a while - thanks for the help!

Edited by admin on 11/08/2014 - 06:20
FRBNY
FRBNY's picture
Hat Tips: 16
Also, if someone could

Also, if someone could explain how a person in the US is taxed while holding a stock on the TSX vs NYSE? If you own a stock in a foreign exchange don't you have to pay taxes to that country as well?

Thanks!

JohnL
JohnL's picture
Tax

I'm not a tax expert but I believe that you only pay taxes in the country in which you live. There is a tax treaty between Canada and the US.

mountainzen
mountainzen's picture
Hat Tips: 40
Tax

This is a relevant question for me this morning. My online brokerage allows trading on the TSX in Canadian dollars, so I'd like to move some things from the NYSE to the TSX (namely, TRX, CEF, Arian silver) so that if the American dollar is debased or devalued my stocks would double as an investment in the Canadian dollar.

One long-time broker with a reputable firm told me it wouldn't matter because the American stock price would be adjusted up or down based on the USD-CAD exchange rate... basically that the exchange rate is built-in to the price of the stock. Is this true?

He also told me that if I invested in Canadian stocks I'd have to pay some small amount of Canadian tax. I think he's wrong about this, so am now wondering if he's also wrong on the above as well. I am hoping to get in to see my tax guy this morning and get a definitive answer. If I do, I will share it here.

mountainzen
mountainzen's picture
Hat Tips: 40
Tax Update

It's not much of an update as my tax guy is on holiday, but one of his colleagues said that investments on the TSX would only be subject to US taxes, unless they paid out a dividend, which would be taxed 30% by the Canadian government. But then of course he said he wasn't entirely sure, so this might not be accurate information.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Topic locked
Syndicate contentComments for "TSX"