Trunk of your car

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
Zoltan
Zoltan's picture
Hat Tips: 4775
Trunk of your car

Not sure about you but here is what I keep in the trunk:

Bug Out Bag (clothes, food, water, cash, etc.)

Emergency Roadside Kit (commercial one from Canadian Tire)

Tow Rope, Booster Cables, Battery Pack (12V booster), Air Pump, spare light bulbs (headlight, taillight, turn signal), fuses, tools, flashlight, candles, matches

Oil, Washer Fluid, Water (4 gallons in old washer fluid containers), hydraulic fluid,

Old track suit (for changing tires in), blanket, windshield cover (heat shade)

Probably some other stuff that slips my mind but that is the bulk of it.  Remember you don't know where you will be when TSHTF.

Z

PS I belong to CAA (like AAA in the states) but don't count on them being around after TSHTF so want to be prepared.

Edited by admin on 11/08/2014 - 06:06
Pablo
Pablo's picture
Hat Tips: 1053
Here's what we keep in the trunk of our car:

Bodies.

Mike7.62
Mike7.62's picture
Hat Tips: 1084
car stuff

Besides the usual automotive emergency equipment, I keep two weeks (actually one week, but at half rations can be stretched to two) of freeze dried food in an ALICE pack, jungle hammock, sturdy clothing and boots, Web gear with survival/med kit, 1 qt. canteen, stove, and cup, water filter-Katadyn Vario, poncho with liner, machete, Leatherman tool, K Bar, compass, ammo, sidearm and holster, and M24 Savage in a breakdown case. There are a few other small items, but all up it weighs 60#, and allows be to be mobile should vehicular transport become difficult or impossible for whatever reason. If you get stranded because of floods, as happened to many here where I live last year, or snow, earthquake, or other natural disaster it allows basic shelter, warmth, food, and protection to be available. I have the same kit in each car. Saves shifting stuff around.

Zoltan
Zoltan's picture
Time to add to the trunk

Nice list M7.62

Just realized the lack of alternate footwear in my preps.

I have a big duffle bag that comes in handy to keep things tidy.

I am especially careful in winter here with my stuff as getting stranded in -40 will be the end of you in short order. (Don't ever leave your car..... just helpful advice in the offseason)

Z

Mike7.62
Mike7.62's picture
Hat Tips: 1084
Zoltan

I keep the clothing/boots in a waterproof canoe bag (it's what I had available). The rest is just piled in. Our winters are comparatively mild here, but I have experienced January in Winnipeg before, and it ain't no picnic.

ginger
ginger's picture
Hat Tips: 2799
Pablo. ...lol. ....Not much

Pablo. ...lol.

....Not much right now. I need to get on this.

Eric Original
Eric Original's picture
ever seen "Repo Man" ?  LOL

ever seen "Repo Man" ?  LOL

This isn't a metals blog anymore. It's a right wing circle jerk, masquerading as a metals blog.

Mikey
Mikey's picture
Hat Tips: 469
Nice list 7.62. Have most of

Nice list 7.62. Have most of that plus small folding camp stove, sterno, seasonings, coffee and other assorted items. Fits great in the truck box.

Pablo
Pablo's picture
Hat Tips: 1053
Trunk Contents

Our trunk contents include:

• Mag lites -one 2AA portable, and one 6D that doubles as a weapon
  • Jumper cables
  • Case of bottled water
  • Granola bars
  • Candles
  • reflective safety vest
  • Change of clothes
  • Washer fluid, radiator coolant, brake fluid
  • Battery charger pak
  • Bag of sand
  • Fix-a-flat
  • WD-40
  • shop cloths
  • wool blanket
  • First Aid Kit
  • Road flares

We'll probably never use most of this living in the suburbs, but I've already used the reflective vest and first aid kit at an accident scene until the cops came, and the jumper cables and booster pak. My keeps yelling at me for stopping to help everyone, she thinks it's going to get us killed some day.

Captain Benny
Captain Benny's picture
Hat Tips: 487
My trunk gear

Food just won't keep where I park.  It is way way too hot to keep anything that could spoil, so my trunk holds:

Case of clean water
Old large juice bottles refilled with tap water for radiator or ultimate emergencies
Paper towels
Extra motor oil
Extra letherman / torx screw drivers / good pair of vice grips
Electrical tape (to work miracles)
Glow sticks (for my dogs at night)

Passenger compartment:
Large D-cell mag light (killer weapon if in a bind!)
Extra pens and paper
Loose change under the floor mats

Winter Season:
Snow shovel
Window ice scraper/brush
Extra heat packs

I don't carry extra fuses... If you need to replace a fuse, there are usually car features you won't need and you can steal a fuse from them or if you really need to get going and have no alternative, just stack two pennies in the fuse clamps and tape them in place.

I believe it wise to carry a medical kit _EVERYWHERE_ that I go, so I keep one in my light BoB.  It never stays in my trunk during the summer due to the extreme heat though.  Heat destroys medications quick.  I also don't think it wise to leave my handgun anywhere but locked away or on my hip or in my BoB, so I will never store it in my trunk.  Condensation due to temperature and humidity changes can destroy bullets, so if you store them in a trunk I highly recommend placing them in a zip lock freezer bag.

I do have a plan if things get hairy and I still need to drive.  Inclusion is very situational.
  Shotgun with slugs in the trunk or between the seats
  Extra towels and/or tarp during wet weather
  Large quantity of dogfood in air-tight sealed bucket
  Extra water
  Multi-fuel camp stove with siphon hose
  Small cooking pot for stove
  Bag of a few lbs of rice
  Government issued photo id hidden away
  Few ounces of silver and extra cash that I will not carry on person.

Jappleseed911
Jappleseed911's picture
Hat Tips: 190
Neat list. Beyond the above,

Neat list. Beyond the above, here's my additions:

> gym bag with a change of clothes, running shoes, and more importantly, toiletry kit (like what you would take on a weekend trip)

> wide brimmed hat (boonie style plain green)

> umbrella (easy coverage for sun & rain)

> $7 worth of quarters (for vending machines still in operation shortly after SHTF but with the power still on)

> 3 pack road flares (signaling & can be used as a weapon)

> 5 gallon fuel can (empty)

> B-C fire extinguisher

> Armored windows with Llumar protective 50% tinted film for ~$220. Unbreakable against normal smashing attacks; may deflect .22LR fired at an angle. Check out this youtube video of a toyota celica withstanding a full-out assault against repeated police baton attacks (ignore the music). I don't believe the rear window had armor tint applied....my install guy cheaped the price by only doing my side windows and I went for it.

Pay attention at 9 seconds-on - I'm certain his side windows were armored.

http://www.llumar.com/en/AutoSafety.aspx

> I also added a full-sized spare tire to my SUV; I bought an entire used set with good tires off a fellow on craigslist and split the four between 3 people. It was much much cheaper to do it this way than trying to find a single wheel with a good tire.

Know More
Know More's picture
Hat Tips: 108
Bad Weather Travel

Winter time:

WOOL SOCKS (personal experience)

Cold weather mittens (not gloves, your fingers touching together generate more heat, gloves seperate the fingers/heat)

Wool caps (watch caps), and some type of face cover (like this neoprene balaclava)

http://www.amazon.com/Neoprene-Perforated-Cover-Black-Balaclava/dp/B002Z6X96E/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1309229648&sr=1-3-catcorr

Hand, foot, pocket warmers (like these)

http://www.warmers.com/

Sleeping bag(s) (temperature rated to lowest possible temps for your location)

High-nutrition bars (long-term storage)

Space-blanket(s) for some limited uses (not expensive, so if you give one or more away to other travelers in emergency, you won't lose much)

http://www.rei.com/product/407106/space-all-weather-blanket

Small, very light-weight stove - such as this Esbit Stove and cook-pot/cup

http://www.amazon.com/Esbit-7943-Aluminum-Cookset-Stove/dp/B003EM345E/ref=pd_sbs_sg_2

Rain season:

Rain suit, rubber boots, extra dry clothing, towels

Any time:

Emergency signs (for windshield, side windows)

Heavy duty/all-weather spot light, something like this

http://www.amazon.com/GSI-Super-Quality-Waterproof-Long-Life-Rechargeable/dp/B003Y8JHKY/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1309229414&sr=8-7

Toilet paper, plastic bags

Hand/body wet-wipes

Adventures
Adventures's picture
Hat Tips: 611
Yep something to add....

Saran wrap not pretty but if caught in a hail storm and it destroys windows of a car. It works as a repair and will get you to a shop.

Dr. Sandi
Dr. Sandi's picture
Hat Tips: 368
Quoting Zoltan:I have

Quoting Zoltan:

I have experienced January in Winnipeg before, and it ain't no picnic.

I too have had the experience. But if it ain't no picnic, why the hell are so many people wandering around in just their SHIRT SLEEVES? I like it chilly, but seeing guys happily toddling about with no coats in Winnipeg in January just made me question reality.

And heckfire, if you're not wearing a coat, you might as well have a nice picnic. Of course, all the goodies in the basket will almost immediately freeze solid, making them somewhat less tasty.

Zoltan
Zoltan's picture
It's a Guy Thing

Dr. Sandi wrote:

why the hell are so many people wandering around in just their SHIRT SLEEVES? I like it chilly, but seeing guys happily toddling about with no coats in Winnipeg in January just made me question reality.

I know people who wear shorts in January.

Hard to explain, 

Z

PS Country people are smarter.

Eric Original
Eric Original's picture
shorts in january

It all depends on what you are used to.  Here in Wisconsin, if it hits 60 degrees in the spring, the girls are all busting out the shorts and halter tops.  In the south if it drops to 60 degrees, folks bust out the coats and hats and their car won't start.

Ok, maybe that's a little extreme, but you get my point.

This isn't a metals blog anymore. It's a right wing circle jerk, masquerading as a metals blog.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Topic locked
Syndicate contentComments for "Trunk of your car"