Important thoughts on survival clothing

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
Captain Benny
Captain Benny's picture
Hat Tips: 487
Important thoughts on survival clothing

Us we bug out bags have appropriate clothing to survive for the short term if SHTF, but what if the shit never hits the fan and there is no need to bug out rapidly and instead the process of economic unwind is long and drawn out?  We've been watching the brutally slow multi-year crisis and kicking the can down the road long enough to understand that some scenarios will be long lasting and won't have the perfect need to bug out.

Cash will be in short supply, you might not have enough, or stores might have trouble stocking supplies during a long drawn out disaster just as well.  This thought when coupled with my personal experience prepping for the scenario has helped me realize something, some advice, that I haven't seen written anywhere yet.

I'm a healthy young lean guy, but I've been doing a tiny bit more exercise and eating far fewer calories than I did in the past.  Why?  Because I'm simulating the scenario that I anticipate having to go through and preparing for it mentally by teaching my mind how to control any urges to eat more than I need.

I haven't lost weight and I'm not starving myself.  I've lost fat that I didn't know I had so much of and its been replaced with muscles that are looking slightly larger each week.  This is all fine and dandy, its great for my figure and health, but there is something I didn't plan for...

My belts have to be one notch tighter now.  Many of my pants no longer fit so snuggly around my waist without belts either.  In the event where I'm forced to do far more physical work gardening, raising protein, and outdoors work on a calorie controlled diet, I'm sure it'd be two belt notches tighter!

So this is what I've determined that I need to prepare for in my home:  Clothes that do not fit me now, but will fit appropriately in the future.  We've all had a pair of jeans that we "outgrew" or we bought the wrong size and our wife said we were an idiot not to just try them on in the store's changing room.  Many of us give these all away to charity or sold in a yard sell and that is what I used to do, but my opinion has changed slightly.  I think we should have a couple pairs of clothes that we can fit into as we actually do lose body fat during a tightening situation.

I never really thought that much about it before, thinking that I'd just tighten my belt if I got leaner... but now, after testing things out, I've decided that I don't like that plan one bit. 

Edited by admin on 11/08/2014 - 06:06
Captain Benny
Captain Benny's picture
Hat Tips: 487
Captain Benny wrote:Us we bug

Captain Benny wrote:
Us we bug out bags 

Err, "Us with bug out bags"  I should learn to type better :)

Adventures
Adventures's picture
Hat Tips: 611
Big lots has a sale on undies

Get what you can when you can.  I'm not sure where most folks stand on cloth or fiber. But I know I can't make undies for under $2.00.  I do spin yarn but not thread and I wonder how many have looms to weave fabrics?

I'm with you Benny, I'm a chubby gal but eating a meal a day doesn't scare me a bit.  I buy a lot of jammies, slippers and quilts/ comforters for bedding. You got to stay warm so you can think and plan. You can always be miserable by lack of planing. It's bad enough if you get blindsided. But for me I don't get blindsided. while I may drop the ball from time to time. Why would I plan to suffer? 

maravich44
maravich44's picture
Adventures

you made me laugh and that made me smile (jackson Browne) Peace Adventures.

Mike7.62
Mike7.62's picture
Hat Tips: 1084
Clothing

That's why they make sewing machines and needle and thread. You can take in clothing much more easily than you can let it out. Even blue jeans can be taken it by sewing a couple of gathers in the waistband. If not, add some buttons for suspenders, and you're guaranteed to be able to keep your britches up where they belong comfortably.  

One of the reasons that I like MilSpec clothing are the adjustment tabs that BDU's trousers typically have on the waist, allowing them to be pulled in or let out depending upon needs.

valleygirl
valleygirl's picture
Hat Tips: 303
Well, I'm an ample-figured

Well, I'm an ample-figured girl too, and frankly, Captain Benny, I'm looking forward to the day when I'll have the belt-tightening problem like you. ;^)

Oh, and Adventures, I hear you on the one-meal-a-day thing. Often that's all I want, my digestion gets backlogged otherwise. I've done 7-day water fasts (and 2-week juice fasts) for health reasons, and gone vegan for a while now and then too, which I figure is all good practice for someday.

What, by the way, is a stomachlobber? Seems uncannily appropriate to this thread's topic! ;^)

ginger
ginger's picture
Hat Tips: 2799
I admire that you are

I admire that you are thinking in this direction Captain Benny. Not many are. Yet.

I have a resell business on Ebay so I don't just buy items that fit me and my family. I buy all sizes and styles. It has given me a bit of comfort knowing that since I have accumulated so much in inventory that we will have some 'extra' clothing if times get that hard. I also envision a day that ..if need be.. I won't just be selling this clothing but maybe bartering with it or even giving it away to those (especially children) who need it. ...Time will tell. More people need to think about this though I believe. .....Just wait until a simple cotton T-shirt at Walmart costs a week's pay. We may regret we didn't buy much more than we see the need for right now.

Eric Original
Eric Original's picture
Stomachlobber

Definitions of stomachlobber and the others is at the bottom of this page:

http://www.tfmetalsreport.com/glossary

This isn't a metals blog anymore. It's a right wing circle jerk, masquerading as a metals blog.

valleygirl
valleygirl's picture
Hat Tips: 303
Oh...thanks, Eric! Didn't

Oh...thanks, Eric! Didn't realize it was a Turdism...and I like to think I'm a regular blogreader...my bad!

stalking wolf
stalking wolf's picture
Hat Tips: 580
Survival Clothing

All you need is a baggy, tightly woven cotton like dickies for pants and shirts, If it starts to rain and get cold stuff your baggy cloths with anything you can find like leaves, newspaper, ext. and a good hat.

What I prefer, I have my own version of the Eskimos(Inuit) layering system which is,fur, leather,leather ,fur, Since it rains often in my 33F   winters, camping in snowy terrain is way better then camping in wet winters, so I use  silk base layer, wool second layer, leather third layer, fine cotton like dickies fourth layer. and a good hat. and an army wool or any other high quality wool blanket will be impervious with caution if it rains.

"A building's form should follow it's function", Howard Roarke.

Eric_2
Eric_2's picture
Hat Tips: 586
Don't give away your old cloths!

For the last couple years, I have stopped giving away old clothes - I'll give away specific items to people I know who need something, but I no longer throw away anything or take to generic second hand stores etc.  That may seem stingy but I know that I, a family member or neighbor may need this item in the future.  If there are holes in the knees or whatever, it can be patched or fixed but unless something is completely ruined or useless, I hold on to it.

diegeiro
diegeiro's picture
Hat Tips: 1244
survival clothing and shoes

Hi: this is my first post on Turd's blog. Because my family had hard times in the 80's we began shopping resale stores. Getting new sizes to swap out has been, and still is at present, very easy at resale stores. Although recently I have found that if you are savvy you can sometimes get new clothing items cheaper than you can buy used. Amazingly, even new cotton items. If you sign up for store emails you will have notice of sales and receive discount coupons. Since I know my size range I keep clothing/jeans in the range I know I will stay in, keeping pairs of fat vs skinny jeans/slacks, keeping the more current styles, while still considering the comfort level of each item I choose to keep.

When buying used, be aware that there are many people out there with things like Morgellon's and other types of vermin, so you need to be careful what you buy used, and also immediately wash everything first with borax in water and then maybe bleach in hottest water possible without ruining the item. Because I have recently become educated regarding nanobugs I will no longer buy any used furniture since it is harder to clean, while the risk of getting someone else's Ick! is not worth the savings. I have read online of one man getting other peoples bugs from buying used computers online. Everything you buy used whether at auction, garage sale or resale store, and even new department store clearance items should be washed immediately when brought into the house.  Anything that cannot be washed in a washing machine should be sprayed thoroughly with Windex or another ammonia type spray.

I am also now finding is that it is difficult to find good leather shoes in many stores.  I have gotten rid of a lot of stuff recently, (I had accumulated a lot and was hanging onto way too much stuff) but I am keeping all the leather shoes in good condition I can find. Shoes are also good things to purchase used, if not highly worn, and they will certainly be a good barter item down the road, even if they are not in your size.  Although with used shoes, same as with clothes, you never know if there  might be vermin (athlete's foot fungus) in them. However, you can still find good stuff cheap if you are very careful what you bring into your home and pay close attention to its condition.

IMO, a few good pairs of new leather shoes are worth the premium paid and leather shoes are an item that will greatly appreciate WTSHTF if not sooner. Getting as many pairs of good leather shoes you can afford while still able to purchase at steep discounts is a not a bad idea if you can afford to do so. I also recently got myself an extra pair of cotton sheets at huge discount. I chose to make the purchase due to the fact that cotton had gone through the roof and also because now all the lower priced sheets are rayon or polyester. I figured now was the time to get a set while we are still in a deflationary period since we have no idea when the exact time inflation will hit with a vengeance.

"The next best thing to being wise oneself is to live in a circle of those who are." CS Lewis

Adventures
Adventures's picture
Hat Tips: 611
It's easy to strip not easy to add.

I've added some great jammies made of fleece and cotton. New sheets, quilts and comforters to stay warm. Lots of slippers and robes, are hit and miss on quality,  but I get to try them out and if I don't really like them, but  they make great gifts. They are warm slippers and plush. I don't think I like the good stuff, I like the stuff that works.

Dr. Sandi
Dr. Sandi's picture
Hat Tips: 368
Snuggy time comforts

I like the idea of having really comfortable sleep wear and bedclothes.

That way, when things get really awful, we can just go to bed and not get up until it's nice again!

HiHo Silver
HiHo Silver's picture
Hat Tips: 80
That's a tough decision. I

That's a tough decision. I know my wife wants some of this stuff gone and its hard to argue. On the other hand, things with life left in them my be useful for barter or gifts. Or truly needy people.  She was concerned at first as I foisted extra underwear on her and shoes. But have you seen the price of shoes lately?  She's coming around to the inflation storm building now.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Topic locked
Syndicate contentComments for "Important thoughts on survival clothing "